Funeral Plan alternative

13»

Comments

• WoodyMax
    WoodyMax Posts: 146 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My husband died recently and he always said ''Just throw me into a skip''

I noticed that many funeral companies are now doing 'Direct Cremation' which is basically no frills but provides for everything required, no flowers (I brought flowers with me) no wake, or service just the closest family members to see the coffin into the Crematorium - the ashes were then delivered back to me to decide where we would scatter them. Total cost was £1550.
    It worked well for our small family. This type of funeral is now becoming extremely popular. People just don't have money these days for lavish funerals.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bonbon wrote: »
    I've also prepaid mine with the Co op.
    If you join the Co op ( I did it online and it costs £1) then as a member you get £200 off the price of any plan.

And a donation from the coop community fund to a local charity. Check that it happened, i had to chase mine up on the phone.... they handnt done it. someone forgot to tick the box

I think it was 1 percent, mine went to the local YMCA
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • I suspect that medical schools now have more body donations than they can deal with. I wrote to the University of Birmingham and they failed to respond at all. I wrote to the University of Leicester and they responded politely and very quickly. I discovered that there is a weight limit of 80 kg for bodies for "health and safety reasons". I think the messages that bigger people need not apply.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • WoodyMax wrote: »
    My husband died recently and he always said ''Just throw me into a skip''

I noticed that many funeral companies are now doing 'Direct Cremation' which is basically no frills but provides for everything required, no flowers (I brought flowers with me) no wake, or service just the closest family members to see the coffin into the Crematorium - the ashes were then delivered back to me to decide where we would scatter them. Total cost was £1550.
    It worked well for our small family. This type of funeral is now becoming extremely popular. People just don't have money these days for lavish funerals.
    I've jokingly bounced this idea off the children and their response was pretty nonplussed, so I'm going to look into it further. Hopefully I've got a good 30 years or so to further convince them that a) I never wanted anything expensive or the least bit stressful and b) it was their brilliant money saving idea in the first place;)
    Be Thankful and Gracious.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport