IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Advice on two OPC parking charges

Options
spursboy91
spursboy91 Posts: 12 Forumite
edited 12 August 2018 at 2:39PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi there,

I received two private parking charges from OPC for overstaying three hours on separate occasions at a 24-hour Starbucks in St Albans, Hertfordshire.

However, the charges were wrongly applied to the the driver. There is a facility at Starbucks which lets you enter your number plate if you stay over three hours. Furthermore, there is a sign next to the facility, clearly stating that the driver didn't need to do anything if the number plate did not appear.

OPC is now demanding the driver pays £50 for each parking charge before August 23, so the driver sent an appeal over e-mail. In the meantime, can anyone offer advice on what else the keeper should do?

Thank you!

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing to do except await their response

Everyone is politely asked to read up on this in the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum before starting a new thread

Read up there now on the game you are now caught up in and how to deal with this

You look to have come here too late and have already revealed who was driving.

Throughout here you are advised never to reveal who was driving

Whilst awaiting for the response to your appeal get on to Starbucks to get this cancelled for you
  • spursboy91
    Options
    Hi Quentin,

Thanks for your advice, I'll speak to Starbucks and see what they say. I consider it a lesson learnt!
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is the name of the PPC please, not just the initials.

Unfortunately you have thrown away a valuable appeal point by revealing the driver's identity.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • spursboy91
    Options
    Hi Fruitcake,

It is Observational Parking Consultancy. Could there be a chance that my e-mail is never seen, or could I follow up by stating it was sent by mistake? I guess I'm clutching at straws here... !
  • Quentin
    Options
    If you now don't want to reveal who was driving you need to edit your op to remove details of who was driving

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you

If you have reason to believe that your appeal was not properly sent then make sure you resend another appeal. (But you obviously can't withdraw it saying it was a mistake!)

Use the one in the FAQ

It's designed to ensure you get a Popla code
  • spursboy91
    Options
    Thank you, Quentin!
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BPA member, so you should get a PoPLA code where hopefully you will see this off.

What method did the PCN tell you to use for appeals? If it said email, they will see it. If they said post, or use their website, it may or may not get lost or be ignored.

Did you reveal the driver's identity in your appeal?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • spursboy91
    spursboy91 Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2018 at 2:19PM
    Options
    Hi Fruitcake,

It said e-mail or post, but I used e-mail. My appeal did not directly state the driver's identity.

I think Starbucks would be the best port of call for me - although I do find it strange that while the number plate did not come up on the facility, the PPC still took the keeper's details from the DVLA!
  • Quentin
    Options
    You need more editing to your op (and now need to edit #9 too)

Describe events using the third party as in "the driver," did this/"the keeper" did that etc
  • spursboy91
    Options
    Thanks guys, amended them accordingly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills