Fibre-To-The-Property: Is BT my only option ?

I moved into a new build property a few years ago which has Fibre-To-The-Property (FTTP) rather than Fibre-To-The-Cabinet (FTTC) and then slower copper wiring to the property.

My broadband is provided by BT and I am paying an extortionate £56.99 a month for Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited (inc. landline which I never use).

Whenever I look at switching to other providers, they always tell me the service is not currently available in my area. Is this because I have FTTP so BT have a monopoly ?

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,071 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 August 2018 at 10:58AM
    BT don't have a monopoly on OR FTTP, there are a few alternative providers , but you may find that BT are the 'value' provider of those available.
    Sky, Talk Talk etc, could, if they wanted provide service over FTTP in the same way they offer FTTC over OR's kit, but they chose not to...so if you feel that you don't have the choice you should, perhaps you should be speaking to the company(s) you would like to use ,asking them to start offering it, rather than implying BT have in some way limited your choices.
    TBH, it always amazes me that given the grief OR get for not providing full fibre connections , that many that have it, complain that they have to use it
  • @sky_rat

The list of companies selling Openreach FTP can be found at https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/ultrafast-broadband/ultrafast-fibre-buy-it-now but FTTP is expensive.

Zen can be slightly cheaper for speeds under 150Mbps.

At the BT website, you can get 150Mbps Ultrafast for £54.99 including line rental as a new customer.
    And the 80/20 is available for £39.99 a month including line rental.

Might be worth calling the BT FTTP Help desk number and ask for a better deal. From the BT Support website, the direct number is 0800 587 4787
    https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/FTTP-Order-Management-Team-Contact-Issues/td-p/1689496
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure