Advice on insurance claim and change of job

Options
This may have been covered before on here but here goes.

I put a claim in for a personal laptop with my insurance company Dial Direct last Saturday. I was then handed onto another company who would deal with the claim.
The company is called Integra Insurance.

I have a claim number and I’m currently waiting for them to get back in touch regarding the laptop.

My issue is two things, this Integra Insurace have got really bad reviews and seem like an awful outfit to deal with but that remains to be seen I suppose.

The main issue is that I’ve just changed my job, I’ve gone from a graphic designer to a freelance graphic designer so I’m doing the exact same job really. I had no idea at all about the issue of having to tell them! I know to some people in this forum that may sound crazy but I really didn’t. And what’s scary is that over the past 15 years all sorts of insurance I’ve had may have been jepodised by me changing my job role and not knowing I had to tell them!

I’m really worried they are going to cancel or void my claim for this over sight on my part. I’ve not lost my job or tried to get cheaper quotes etc, I took the insurace out months ago, and only decided to go freelance 3 weeks ago.

Has anyone else had this happen to them and if so what happened? Or has anyone got any advice to help?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    What does the policy say about informing them of changes to employment?

Or are you saying this item has changed from being a personal possession to a business item and not covered by the policy?
  • rekutt
    rekutt Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Quentin

My policy does say that they need to know if things change.

No the laptop isn!!!8217;t a business laptop we!!!8217;ve had it 9 years. As a freelance designer I go into other design agency!!!8217;s and use their equipment so I don!!!8217;t work from home at all.
  • Quentin
    Options
    Just tell them (you say you just changed so shouldn't be an issue)
  • rekutt
    Options
    So do I tell Integra or Direct Dial?

And do I tell them straight away before they ask or if they ask as the claim moves forward?

Cheers !!!55357;!!!56397;!!!55356;!!!57339;
  • Quentin
    Options
    Whichever company you are insured with (assuming that is the one that says you must inform them about the change in your employment status)

What does it say in the policy about when changes should be notified?

If it's immediately then do it now!
  • rekutt
    Options
    Will do! Cheers
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's probably that Dial direct are the insurer and Integra are the underwriter. So notify dial in the first instance and see what they say.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Insurance claim for a 9 year old laptop? Must be some laptop to make that worthwhile.
  • rekutt
    Options
    MacBook Pro 2009.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unless you have new for old then you should get about £200. How big is your excess
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure