Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • missile
    • By missile 11th Aug 18, 3:13 PM
    • 9,602Posts
    • 4,783Thanks
    missile
    Nespresso vent
    • 11th Aug 18, 3:13 PM
    Nespresso vent 11th Aug 18 at 3:13 PM
    We purchased a Nespresso Vituo Plus machine six months ago from John Lewis. Makes great coffee.

The green light turned red / yellow. We looked in book and says red/ green = time to descale. We did that same red/yellow.

Phoned their help line. After 15 min gave up and tried on line chat. "you need to phone". After another 15 minutes on hold gave up.

Took machine into John Lewis.
    "It needs to be descaled"
    "we have done that"
    "You need to phone Nespresso help"
    "We have done that, can you try"

JL assistant explained issue
    "red / Yellow Light on machine"
    "red/green light means descale"
    "It is definitely red / yellow"
    "It can't be yellow"
    "Looks yellow to me"
    "You need to descale it"
    "Customer has done that"
    and on and on
    "Will get manager to phone customer"
    Nespresso phone
    "Red/ green means descale"
    "It is red / yellow"
    "can't be"
    "It is"
    "we will talk you through descale"
    "we want to return machine"
    "try descale first"
    "no"
    " we will collect it and descale it for you"
    "It is at John Lewis, can you collect from there"
    "No"
    "Why not"
    "We collect from your home"
    "The machine is at JL, we don't want to go and collect it and bring it home. Please collect from JL"
    "I will need to ask Manager"
    "You do that"

A call from manager
    "Red / green means descale"
    "It is red / yellow"
    "It cannot be"
    "It is"
    "we will collect from your home, descale and return"
    "No, machine is at JL, collect from there"
    "We don't do that"
    etc, until eventually
    "We will collect from JL, but if it is not in the original box you are responsible for loss & damage"
    "Who keeps a box for 6 months?"
    "You are responsible for loss & damage in transit"
    "Whatever, just collect it"

We were not impressed with Nespresso CS and neither was JL Tech Support. He phoned us later to say he had spoken with his manager who would complain to Nespresso.

Two other users have reported similar issue with Nespresso machine, see here > https://www.reddit.com/r/nespresso/comments/6kzvu4/red_and_yellow_indicator_light_on_vertuoline_plus/
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Aug 18, 3:25 PM
    • 12,451 Posts
    • 8,408 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 11th Aug 18, 3:25 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 3:25 PM
    When you say 6 months ago, are you within or outside the 6 months? Hopefully you are within and then you need to get John Lewis to resolve the issue.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Aug 18, 3:35 PM
    • 33,864 Posts
    • 28,735 Thanks
    custardy
    • 11th Aug 18, 3:35 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 3:35 PM
    So you tried to call them once and then went to John Lewis?
    Would it not have been less hassle to at least try calling another time?
    did you try a factory reset?
    • missile
    • By missile 11th Aug 18, 5:04 PM
    • 9,602 Posts
    • 4,783 Thanks
    missile
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:04 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:04 PM
    When you say 6 months ago, are you within or outside the 6 months? Hopefully you are within and then you need to get John Lewis to resolve the issue.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    See JL website
    2 year guarantee included
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • missile
    • By missile 11th Aug 18, 5:08 PM
    • 9,602 Posts
    • 4,783 Thanks
    missile
    • 11th Aug 18, 5:08 PM
    So you tried to call them once and then went to John Lewis?
    Would it not have been less hassle to at least try calling another time?
    did you try a factory reset?
    Originally posted by custardy
    As stated in my post:
    Phoned their help line. After 15 min gave up and tried on line chat. "you need to phone". After another 15 minutes on hold gave up.
    We did try factory reset.
    Last edited by missile; 11-08-2018 at 5:13 PM.
    Ride hard or stay home
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Aug 18, 5:08 PM
    • 12,451 Posts
    • 8,408 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    See JL website
    Originally posted by missile
    I wasn't asking about the guarantee. I was asking because you have consumer rights and the 6 month deadline is critical.

However, if you aren't fussed, then that's fine by me.
    • missile
    • By missile 12th Aug 18, 5:44 AM
    • 9,602 Posts
    • 4,783 Thanks
    missile
    • 12th Aug 18, 5:44 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 5:44 AM
    I wasn't asking about the guarantee. I was asking because you have consumer rights and the 6 month deadline is critical.

However, if you aren't fussed, then that's fine by me.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    I misunderstood, it is 6+ months old.
    Ride hard or stay home
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 12th Aug 18, 6:40 AM
    • 3,641 Posts
    • 3,118 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:40 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 6:40 AM
    Sorry but you’re coming across as awfully rude to others trying to help - telling them to ‘see JL website’ (why would they go hunting randomly on the JL website for a random product before posting?!) then no apology when they clarify.

Good luck with the machine, but if you came across the same way to JL I’m not surprised no one really wanted to help.
    • missile
    • By missile 12th Aug 18, 2:05 PM
    • 9,602 Posts
    • 4,783 Thanks
    missile
    • 12th Aug 18, 2:05 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 2:05 PM
    Thank you all for your comments. My apologies if I appeared rude.

I was rather angry yesterday. I think most people would be, when Nespresso would not accept what we and JL Tech Support were telling them.
    Ride hard or stay home
    • NCC-1701
    • By NCC-1701 12th Aug 18, 2:15 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    NCC-1701
    With my advancing years I never get angry nowadays...it's really pointless.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Aug 18, 2:59 PM
    • 12,451 Posts
    • 8,408 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Your guarantee and your consumer rights are different things and if the item was under 6 months of age you would have likely had an easier time using your consumer rights to get a resolution. As it's over 6 months, your consumer rights still apply but in this instance you would need to prove the fault was inherent at time of purchase. In which case it may be easier to use the JL 2 year guarantee. JL have different methods of resolution in line with different suppliers. What does your warranty with JL say about repairs?
    • missile
    • By missile 12th Aug 18, 4:35 PM
    • 9,602 Posts
    • 4,783 Thanks
    missile
    All electrical products you buy from us are guaranteed for a minimum of 2 years, at no extra cost.
    What do I do if I have a faulty electrical item?
    Please call our Technical Support helpline on 0330 123 0106 from 8am - 9pm weekdays, 8am - 8pm Saturdays and 10am - 6pm Sundays.
    Please have your model number to hand when you call.
    For all other faulty items, please call Customer Services on 03456 049 049 and have your order confirmation number to hand, or visit your nearest shop.
    JL told us they will get Nespresso to honour their guarantee. We left the machine with JL for pick up and repair / replacement by Nespresso.
    Ride hard or stay home
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Aug 18, 4:47 PM
    • 12,451 Posts
    • 8,408 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    JL told us they will get Nespresso to honour their guarantee. We left the machine with JL for pick up and repair / replacement by Nespresso.
    That isn't the warranty, that is about the warranty.

A day or two after your order, your warranty info would have been emailed to you (if it was the JL warranty).

JL offer either their own or a manufacturers warranty - I CBA to look on the website to see which it is for this type of purchase, but it will be there. Either way, if JL are dealing with it now then hopefully it will be resolved.

What you have to remember is that a warranty/guarantee can have whatever terms they want. If they say that you have to deliver the item whilst standing on one leg and your hand on your head, then those are the terms.......
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 12th Aug 18, 6:28 PM
    • 16,283 Posts
    • 12,308 Thanks
    hollydays
    Sometimes you have to want to solve a problem..
    • missile
    • By missile 12th Aug 18, 9:19 PM
    • 9,602 Posts
    • 4,783 Thanks
    missile
    Please be advised, I posted the info from JL web site. This is the text from JL e mail.
    Guarantee details for your new product

Dear *******

Thank you for shopping with John Lewis. The following products are covered by our guarantee from the date detailed below:
    Description
    Term in Years 3
    Cost £0.00
    Contract Number ********
    Date Effective 22/01/18
    Nespresso Vertuo Plus Coffee Machine by Krups, Piano Black

Our guarantee provides:

A repair service in the event of breakdown of any functioning part of your product, for the period stated above

Repair services provided by authorised service technicians

If we can't repair your item, we'll replace it with an item of equivalent specification. If no equivalent product is available we'll discuss an alternative settlement with you, and we'll always do our best to make sure that you're satisfied with the outcome

Occasionally, we may ask you to pay for the repair and claim the cost of the repair from us

Our guarantee excludes:

Repairs due to breakdown caused by use other than domestic by you or your household

Deliberate damage to or neglect of the product or failure to follow the manufacturer's instructions and/or installation guidelines

Consumer replaceable items including, but not limited to, batteries, light bulbs and other consumables

Cosmetic damage and/or non-functional parts which do not affect the normal use of the product including cabinet trim, scratches and rust

The unblocking of drainage channels in refrigeration products

Work relating to a manufacturer's recall of the product

Any loss suffered as a result of not being able to use the product or any loss other than the repair or the replacement cost of the product

Frozen food loss as a result of the product breaking down

Accidental damage, servicing, inspecting or cleaning of the insured product

Failure to follow manufacturers instructions and/or installation guidelines

Deliberate demage or neglect of the unused product

Please note we reserve the right to charge for the expense of a service call when no fault has been found with the product on inspection

Claiming on your guarantee:

If your product develops a fault:

Look for any obvious reasons for the breakdown and consult the troubleshooting guide in the manufacturer's handbook or on their website

If that doesn't resolve the issue, please contact our technical support team who will be happy to help.

Call 0330 123 0106, 8am - 9pm weekdays, 8am - 8pm Saturdays and 10am - 6pm Sundays

Please have your model number and date of purchase to hand when you call. You'll find all of this information on your original receipt !!!8211; this acts as your guarantee, so please make sure you keep it safe

We hope you enjoy using your new appliance. Thank you for shopping with John Lewis.

Customer Services
    John Lewis
    We took it into the store and JL Tech Services verified the issue as described in post#1. JL agreed Nespresso should collect from the store, repair or replace.
    Last edited by missile; 13-08-2018 at 1:36 AM.
    Ride hard or stay home
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 13th Aug 18, 8:16 AM
    • 8,820 Posts
    • 6,565 Thanks
    pmduk
    With my advancing years I never get angry nowadays...it's really pointless.
    Originally posted by NCC-1701
    I'm the opposite, there are so many more things to be angry about!
    • custardy
    • By custardy 13th Aug 18, 9:13 AM
    • 33,864 Posts
    • 28,735 Thanks
    custardy
    Please be advised, I posted the info from JL web site. This is the text from JL e mail.

We took it into the store and JL Tech Services verified the issue as described in post#1. JL agreed Nespresso should collect from the store, repair or replace.
    Well Im sure they would. However your warranty is with JL,not Nespresso
    • missile
    • By missile 13th Aug 18, 3:00 PM
    • 9,602 Posts
    • 4,783 Thanks
    missile
    Well Im sure they would. However your warranty is with JL,not Nespresso
    Originally posted by custardy
    That is why I took it to JL
    Ride hard or stay home
    • custardy
    • By custardy 13th Aug 18, 3:01 PM
    • 33,864 Posts
    • 28,735 Thanks
    custardy
    That is why I took it to JL
    yup,so its for them to arrange repair/replace.
    not to tell you what Nespresso should do
    • missile
    • By missile 13th Aug 18, 3:26 PM
    • 9,602 Posts
    • 4,783 Thanks
    missile
    Thanks guys, I feel confident JL will arrange repair or replacement.

I was just venting my frustration at the response from Nespresso CS. They have subsequently sent me an e mail which states they have checked their records and can find no purchase on THIS account for descaler.
    I can see that no Nespresso descaler was purchased linked to your account
    The inference being that I have been less than honest?
    Ride hard or stay home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,372Posts Today

8,357Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin