Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 9th Aug 18, 5:57 PM
    • 733Posts
    • 713Thanks
    michele-p
    0 WOW
    Ideas for October/November holiday
    • 9th Aug 18, 5:57 PM
    0 WOW
    Ideas for October/November holiday 9th Aug 18 at 5:57 PM
    Hi all, I'm looking for inspiration for our next trip. We could be flexible on dates, but looking for something long haul / tropical with a wow factor, that's also cheap when you get there! !!!128540;

We would need to fly via klm the majority of the route as other half works for them, and we can go via schipol from Norwich.

To give an idea of what we've loved before, our first holiday together, 10 years ago was to Au nang area of Thailand. We lived the people and the place, especially Railey. We love to snorkel on beautiful beaches and white sand, but also like to get out and see things, not just sit on a beach.

My initial idea was Cambodia, a couple of days at Siem Reap to see the temples, then fly to a beautiful beach area. I've looked at Koh Rong Salmon, I read conflicting reports that the beaches are dirty, and the sea full of sewerage, but it does look stunning when I see it.

But where/what would anyone suggest?
    The Philippines could be an idea, but I know nothing about where to start.

Places like the Maldives are out of our budget really, and possibly too quiet? We don't need to party, but do like a good evening buzz. We do definitely want longhaul, and both really don't like the likes of Tenerife, been to The Gambia etc.

Places in Europe we've loved has been Parga and the Greek ionian which is just beautiful.

It's such a 1st world problem, but I just need some inspiration! And to make sure we don't hit rainy season!
Page 1
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 9th Aug 18, 6:15 PM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:15 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:15 PM
    Not sure what your budget is but weíve been to Biyadhoo twice (Maldives) and although itís the budget end itís fabulous with a reef thatís one of the best for snorkelling and diving. Sri Lanka is also amazing but check when the monsoons are. Not sure if KLM fly there though.
    3.975 KW Solar PV. 15 Canadian Black 265w panels with Sunny Boy 3600tl Inverter. SSE facing with 30 degree pitch. In occasionally sunny Sheffield.
    Toyota Auris Hybrid Tourer
    Toyota Yaris Hybrid
    • richardw
    • By richardw 9th Aug 18, 6:23 PM
    • 18,790 Posts
    • 7,884 Thanks
    richardw
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:23 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:23 PM
    Consider Siem Reap and Phu Quoc island and Ho Chi Minh city.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 9th Aug 18, 6:28 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    michele-p
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:28 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:28 PM
    I did spot Phu Quoc yesterday, but couldn't see an easy way to get between the 2. Not fancying a full day on a bus/taxi. It looked beautiful though!
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 9th Aug 18, 6:29 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    michele-p
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:29 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 6:29 PM
    Sri Lanka has also bene on our "list" to visit I can't seem to work out the best months to go though, we'd love to go away this side of Christmas, but not if it's rainy season. Sir Lanka seems to have 2 monsoon seasons.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 9th Aug 18, 7:54 PM
    • 6,001 Posts
    • 8,584 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:54 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 7:54 PM
    Have a look at this...

https://www.selectiveasia.com/asia-holidays/weather/january

You can mess around with it. Select the country you want, then the month, and then look for smiley faces on the map. Obviously it's not perfect, but it'll give you a very good idea.

Value for money wise in SE Asia, I'd go for Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand in that order. Thailand, in particular can be quite expensive in the main tourist hot spots.
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 9th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    Sri Lanka has also bene on our "list" to visit I can't seem to work out the best months to go though, we'd love to go away this side of Christmas, but not if it's rainy season. Sir Lanka seems to have 2 monsoon seasons.
    Originally posted by michele-p
    We did a tour and then beach at the Lighthouse in Galle in December. Weather was great although we used to get torrential rain at about 4pm every day when we were in Galle.
    3.975 KW Solar PV. 15 Canadian Black 265w panels with Sunny Boy 3600tl Inverter. SSE facing with 30 degree pitch. In occasionally sunny Sheffield.
    Toyota Auris Hybrid Tourer
    Toyota Yaris Hybrid
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 9th Aug 18, 9:10 PM
    • 4,986 Posts
    • 4,118 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:10 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:10 PM
    Have a look at this...

https://www.selectiveasia.com/asia-holidays/weather/january

You can mess around with it. Select the country you want, then the month, and then look for smiley faces on the map. Obviously it's not perfect, but it'll give you a very good idea.

Value for money wise in SE Asia, I'd go for Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand in that order. Thailand, in particular can be quite expensive in the main tourist hot spots.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Malaysia is worth throwing into the mix too. Not as cheap as Vietnam or Cambodia but still good value (apart from the price of alcohol as it's a Muslim country) and without the tourist excesses of some parts of Thailand. I'm not a massive fan of Kuala Lumpur but the rest of the country is incredible with some of the best food I've had anywhere.
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 9th Aug 18, 9:29 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    michele-p
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:29 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:29 PM
    Thank you, I'm busy looking at where has smiley faces! I like the page lists possible countries for each month.
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 9th Aug 18, 10:03 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    michele-p
    I'm busy looking Galle up, did any of the beaches look good for snorkelling? Or maybe too rough?
    Last edited by michele-p; 09-08-2018 at 10:10 PM.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 10th Aug 18, 5:55 AM
    • 6,001 Posts
    • 8,584 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Thank you, I'm busy looking at where has smiley faces! I like the page lists possible countries for each month.
    Yeah, it contains a lot of very good information, and not just for SE Asia newbies. A lot of us who see ourselves as veterans of the Region sometimes forget about all the different weather patterns.

Just read you OP again, and you're not a complete newbie to the Region, so at least you'll have an idea what that part of the world can be like.

Get hold of good Guide Books from your local Library too. And use the online Wikivoyage pages to look at the destinations that interest you. This link'll tell you a lot about Cambodia...

http://www.canbypublications.com/

Don't try and be too ambitious with your itinerary. If you intend travelling round then travel can be slow sometimes, and frustrating. Less = More, and don't travel anywhere overnight by road.

It's usually very easy to book accommodation as you go along, which is very helpful if you decide you want to loiter somewhere, or get out a place in a hurry, or get a tummy big, or want to abandon Plan A for something else.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 10th Aug 18, 7:38 AM
    • 3,866 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    eDicky
    I did spot Phu Quoc yesterday, but couldn't see an easy way to get between the 2. Not fancying a full day on a bus/taxi. It looked beautiful though!
    I flew from HCMC to Phu Quoc about 25 years ago so it must be easy today, flights or crossings from Cambodia unlikely though. The western part of the island was off limits in those days because of occasional Khmer Rouge shelling from the nearby Cambodian mainland.

KLM flies to Bali daily, cheap hops to other islands from there.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 10th Aug 18, 8:16 AM
    • 18,790 Posts
    • 7,884 Thanks
    richardw
    From Siem Reap you'd fly via Ho Chi Minh City.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Luke1066
    • By Luke1066 10th Aug 18, 8:34 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Luke1066
    What about Mauritius. November is the start of the sunny season, KLM fly direct form Schiphol.

I would recommend https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g298342-d316743-Reviews-LUX_Belle_Mare-Belle_Mare.html we stayed here a couple of years ago and was wonderful. There other resort on the island was closed and fully refurbished this year https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g488104-d316747-Reviews-LUX_Grand_Gaube-Grand_Gaube.html
    • chiny
    • By chiny 10th Aug 18, 9:25 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    chiny
    Must be Asia ? How about South America; great variety of geography and climate to suit your taste, beaches (why long haul to a beach), cities (edgy) and vast open spaces of every conceivable type. 3000 metres up walking... puff puff... interesting "tea" helps allegedly. Wild life you haven't seen since that last TV series.
    Oct/Nov great time to visit most locations.

And your friends won't have been; there are some stunning photos to be sent.

Careful though; its addictive and you'll want to return.
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 10th Aug 18, 9:50 AM
    • 733 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    michele-p
    What about Mauritius. November is the start of the sunny season, KLM fly direct form Schiphol.

I would recommend https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g298342-d316743-Reviews-LUX_Belle_Mare-Belle_Mare.html we stayed here a couple of years ago and was wonderful. There other resort on the island was closed and fully refurbished this year https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g488104-d316747-Reviews-LUX_Grand_Gaube-Grand_Gaube.html
    Originally posted by Luke1066
    Wow that does look beautiful! Did you get out and about much when you were there? One thing I'm not keen on is staying by the hotel the whole time, we like to get out and explore too.
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 10th Aug 18, 9:53 AM
    • 733 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    michele-p
    Must be Asia ? How about South America; great variety of geography and climate to suit your taste, beaches (why long haul to a beach), cities (edgy) and vast open spaces of every conceivable type. 3000 metres up walking... puff puff... interesting "tea" helps allegedly. Wild life you haven't seen since that last TV series.
    Oct/Nov great time to visit most locations.

And your friends won't have been; there are some stunning photos to be sent.

Careful though; its addictive and you'll want to return.
    Originally posted by chiny
    We're happy to consider anywhere, do you have a particular recommendation to start my research? It's not just beach we're after, but it does help if it looks like a bounty bar advert! The reason for long haul is the time of year, we've seen a lot of Europe, and want to venture further again.
    • Luke1066
    • By Luke1066 10th Aug 18, 10:12 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Luke1066
    Wow that does look beautiful! Did you get out and about much when you were there? One thing I'm not keen on is staying by the hotel the whole time, we like to get out and explore too.
    We didn't as we were in Dubai for several days before and just wanted to unwind. Good reason for us to head back one day though.
    They have a resort in the Maldives also which we really want to visit, but its quite pricey.
    • prenton01
    • By prenton01 10th Aug 18, 10:20 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    prenton01
    Another vote for Phu Quoc we stayed there last year amazing place and so cheap

We flew with Vietnamese airlines from HCM for around £50 each return be aware though you need to book an early morning flight if you have connecting flight same day or stay in HCM for the night

Phu Quoc we had a 4 star beach hotel for £60 a night https://www.kimhoaresort.com/en-us

This was our beach loads to do of the beach as well

Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 10th Aug 18, 11:08 AM
    • 6,001 Posts
    • 8,584 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    We're happy to consider anywhere, do you have a particular recommendation to start my research? It's not just beach we're after, but it does help if it looks like a bounty bar advert! The reason for long haul is the time of year, we've seen a lot of Europe, and want to venture further again.
    Have you beenBosnia & Herzegovina, Macedonia, or Romania [Transylvania]. You can get a full D-i-Y holiday for the price of a return long haul flight.

See my recent Transylvania trip report...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5735156

The Bodrum Peninsula in Turkey is another spot-on location, great beaches, and easy to get around by Dolmus [mini bus]...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4981533

But if you're still looking at Vietnam, South Vietnam trip report, same sort of time of year weatherwise that you want...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5341295

The more flights you have in Vietnam, ie including Phu Quoc, the more time you're going to be hanging around airports. Also beware, that internal flights, particularly late in the day are often delayed due to aircraft having to cover several domestic sectors a day and might have had to face different weather conditions. Another thing with domestic flights in Vietnam is that the earlier you book the flight the more likely the chance of the Schedule moving forward or back [happened several times for us], that can be frustrating if time is precious.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

178Posts Today

1,610Users online

Martin's Twitter