Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hawaza
    • By hawaza 9th Aug 18, 8:52 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    hawaza
    Septic tank / cesspit confusion in potential house purchase
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:52 AM
    Septic tank / cesspit confusion in potential house purchase 9th Aug 18 at 8:52 AM
    I am looking at purchasing a house for the first time and have finally found a house which I like. However on top of the fact it's in an absolute state (needs heating system installed as doesn't have one, new kitchen, bathroom, windows - some of which are sash, rewire among other things) it has now emerged that there is an issue with the sewerage.

It's not on mains sewage and the long and short of it is that they believe there is a Septic tank / cesspit but no-one knows what state it's in or even where it is (so hasn't ever been emptied). Ive been told it's been investigated previously but no one could deduce anything but were strongly advised to install a modern system due to possible environmental issues. It's the same situation for next-door (they're semi detached) as they're on the same system. I'm told there is an indemnity insurance policy to cover it.

The questions I guess are:
    How much would it cost to investigate the current system?
    How much would it cost to install a new system / remove the old one if required?
    How problematic is it likely to be given the neighbouring house uses the same unidentifiable system?
    Am I mad to be considering such a problematic property, especially as a first time buyer and should I simply turn tail and run?

Any advice or opinions are welcomed.
Page 2
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Aug 18, 9:09 PM
    • 26,420 Posts
    • 95,501 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Having two tanks to compare, I would add that emptying ours every 2 years is overkill, but so far it's proved more important for our neighbours, who've needed considerable de-sludging. There are twice as many of them and they don't follow convention in any other spheres of life, so draw whatever conclusions you like there!

It was their gunk that went into the outlet and messed-up the drainage field, hence our threat that if it ever happened again we'd go independent of them. Hopefully a pump-out every 2 years will head that off, and it's relatively cheap for peace of mind.
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,238Users online

Martin's Twitter