Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theguru
    • By theguru 8th Aug 18, 9:07 PM
    • 629Posts
    • 385Thanks
    theguru
    Phone given to a six year old?
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:07 PM
    Phone given to a six year old? 8th Aug 18 at 9:07 PM
    Hi looking for some advice, my six year old (seven next week) has been given a IPhone (no sim) by her mother. I clearly disagree with this and always said she should not get one until she moves into senior school.

Her mother and me are divorced and do not get on but I totally disagree with this, should I send her mother a message saying my thoughts against this, guarantee it will cause more arguments and probably upset my daughter as well if she gets it taken away.

What would you do?
Page 1
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 8th Aug 18, 9:36 PM
    • 8,203 Posts
    • 28,630 Thanks
    Primrose
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:36 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:36 PM
    I think you're absolutely right to be concerned.
    Its inadvisable for children of that age to be given such expensive gadgets and there is a severe risk of her becoming addicted to screen use at an early age. I would also think there is a risk that her eyesight could be severely affected.

I wouldn't,t worry about your daughter getting upset about its removal. Who,s in charge here for goodness sake? It has always been down tomlarents to I lose a suitable discipline on their children. We're talking about a parent's responsibility for the well-being of a six year old who is in no mature state to decide what's beat for herself.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 8th Aug 18, 9:38 PM
    • 5,476 Posts
    • 4,659 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:38 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:38 PM
    I don't see a problem with child having one as long as its use is monitored and limited, it also will enable her to facetime her mother which can only be a good thing surely
    • theguru
    • By theguru 8th Aug 18, 9:52 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    theguru
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:52 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:52 PM
    I have an iPad and iPhone at mine and her mother had the same at her house, there is no need for a six year old girl to have a iPhone, Iím not happy and Iím going to send a message saying so.
    She can use an iPad for FaceTime and I agree about the eyesight and how can she be monitored on a website all the time.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Aug 18, 10:22 PM
    • 3,701 Posts
    • 3,495 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:22 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:22 PM
    I don!!!8217;t see the issue; as long as it!!!8217;s like anything else and controlled.
    • Loz01
    • By Loz01 8th Aug 18, 10:25 PM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 3,639 Thanks
    Loz01
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:25 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:25 PM
    So with no sim card is it just used for apps/games?
    When your lifestyle requires several deaths a week but you think the people eating plants have a superiority complex...
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 8th Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 6,999 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    Noting you agreed with the person who agreed with you and ignored the other opinion....so not sure you really want views? It is ok to just want a rant...
    Jan 18 grocery challenge £105.13/ £150
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Aug 18, 10:28 PM
    • 3,701 Posts
    • 3,495 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:28 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:28 PM
    Noting you agreed with the person who agreed with you and ignored the other opinion....so not sure you really want views? It is ok to just want a rant...
    Originally posted by BrassicWoman
    Just views from people who agree
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 8th Aug 18, 10:44 PM
    • 3,734 Posts
    • 10,188 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:44 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:44 PM
    So with no sim card is it just used for apps/games?
    Originally posted by Loz01
    My eight year old has my old, sim free iPhone. She only has the apps and games that I've put on it for her and as it has fingerprint recognition she can only use it when I've unlocked it for her. She won't be getting a fully functioning phone until she goes to highschool as she has no need for one.
    • maman
    • By maman 8th Aug 18, 11:08 PM
    • 18,216 Posts
    • 108,940 Thanks
    maman
    My first thought was this was a bad idea but then I thought again.

It's not the phone that's going to do your child any harm. It's about how it's used.

Actually, starting with no SIM so she can't make/take calls or accidentally access anything unsuitable is a good idea to get her started.

What she needs is limited time using it and supervision. She'll be going into Key Stage 2 in September. She needs to use IT skills.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 9th Aug 18, 8:04 AM
    • 4,480 Posts
    • 10,217 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    What's the difference in functionality between a sim-free phone and a tablet in this case?
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • jamiesb
    • By jamiesb 9th Aug 18, 8:10 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    jamiesb
    I would set time limits on usage when your daughter is with you. Maybe see it as an opportunity to broach online safety and sensible behaviour with your daughter. Turn lemons into lemon juice ... or something to that effect
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 9th Aug 18, 8:25 AM
    • 14,291 Posts
    • 27,302 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Without a sim it's effectively an iPod. I don't see the issue. Load on some music and some apps, turn off in-app purchase, ensure that any new app purchases have to be approved, and let her get on with it.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 9th Aug 18, 9:00 AM
    • 9,247 Posts
    • 13,424 Thanks
    meer53
    My ex husband gave my daughter a phone when she was 6 too. It wasn't an iphone so no apps (at that time) she used it to keep in touch with either me or him on the weekends as we split weekend care between us.

It was great for her, she could call Daddy or Mummy to chat or say good morning or good night whenever she wanted, i don't see a problem, especially as in the OP's case there is no SIM either !

She's 18 now and her phone is attached to her hand 24/7. Not a lot you can do really apart from educate them about safe usage. It can be a useful tool for punishment sometimes ! I've taken my daughters phone away for a week before now, worked a treat !
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 9th Aug 18, 9:24 AM
    • 845 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    Why dont you take the phone off the child when you see her?
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 9th Aug 18, 9:26 AM
    • 845 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    My ex husband gave my daughter a phone when she was 6 too. It wasn't an iphone so no apps (at that time) she used it to keep in touch with either me or him on the weekends as we split weekend care between us.

It was great for her, she could call Daddy or Mummy to chat or say good morning or good night whenever she wanted, i don't see a problem, especially as in the OP's case there is no SIM either !

She's 18 now and her phone is attached to her hand 24/7. Not a lot you can do really apart from educate them about safe usage. It can be a useful tool for punishment sometimes ! I've taken my daughters phone away for a week before now, worked a treat !
    Originally posted by meer53
    What a complete oxymoron.

You cultured your daughter from the age of 6 into using a phone and now you say that there is nothing you can do about being on her phone 24/7?
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 9th Aug 18, 10:47 AM
    • 2,817 Posts
    • 6,831 Thanks
    ska lover
    Now she actually has it OP, if it is sim free and monitored, I cant see how you can remove it (without causing arguments and upsetting daughter). She wont be the only six year old with one

Really you and your ex need to have conversations about how you both wish to raise your daughter , and should have done before now, as this is like bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

For me, I wouldn't want a six year old to be introduced to the technology crazed world we live in these days, not at that age...whatever happened to kids playing with toys, dolls, prams, skates etc lol

if it really is just for games, surely an ipad or similar would be more suitable - maybe I am missing the point of a sim free phone

I am glad I had my childhood before all this come along
    Last edited by ska lover; 09-08-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 9th Aug 18, 10:50 AM
    • 2,817 Posts
    • 6,831 Thanks
    ska lover
    What a complete oxymoron.

You cultured your daughter from the age of 6 into using a phone and now you say that there is nothing you can do about being on her phone 24/7?
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    To be fair, that seems pretty standard with young people these days, to be glued to the phones.
    Love it or hate it, it is the reality
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 9th Aug 18, 11:42 AM
    • 845 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    To be fair, that seems pretty standard with young people these days, to be glued to the phones.
    Love it or hate it, it is the reality
    Originally posted by ska lover
    Yes, if you give your kid a phone at 6 and grow them up to be dependent on a screen.

Otherwise, it isnt 'the reality'... How about teaching kids to enjoy other things? And if all you can say is 'nothing we can do', you are just lazy and cant admit it
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 9th Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    • 765 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    The ex has got her that phone to wind you up.

Ridiculous giving an iPhone to a kid that young, but there are plenty of brainless parents out there who'd do the same, and there's not a lot you can do about it, sadly.

I'd just encourage her to do other activities so that the phone's not such an attractive option.
    When England was a Kingdom we had a King, when we were an empire we had an emperor. Now we're a country and we have Margaret Thatcher

the late great Kenny Everett
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,474Posts Today

7,312Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin