Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 6th Aug 18, 8:34 PM
    • 3,783Posts
    • 1,985Thanks
    ballyblack
    Fishtext...international text service closing
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:34 PM
    Fishtext...international text service closing 6th Aug 18 at 8:34 PM
    Looks like another victim to free Whatsapp messaging and similar services

Hey FishText User,

It!s a sad day for us as we announce that we will soon be closing FishText. We've loved helping you send low cost SMS to all corners of the globe, and thank you for your loyalty over the years, but unfortunately it;s time for FishText to set sail...

From today, Monday 6th August 2018, you won't be able to make any new payments to your FishText account, and new signups will also be disabled.

You!!!;ll be able to log into your account for the next month to send messages and use up your credit balance, so there!!s still time to squeeze in some last farewell messages to your FishText friends!
Page 1
    • redux
    • By redux 7th Aug 18, 10:58 AM
    • 18,556 Posts
    • 24,775 Thanks
    redux
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:58 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:58 AM
    I wonder if they intend to tell all customers.

Did your message come by text message or email?
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 7th Aug 18, 12:40 PM
    • 3,783 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:40 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:40 PM
    Did your message come by text message or email?
    it came by email yesterday
    • Goldcrypto
    • By Goldcrypto 7th Aug 18, 8:23 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Goldcrypto
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:23 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:23 PM
    Thanks for heads up. That is a real shame as have been using them since 2010!

Whatsapp is great and use to all family and friends but when messaging new people, not everyone has and is convenient for initial contact. Fishtext is cheapest for international text as range from 1p to 2p or so for most places. I found the messages fairly reliable going through (get green tick if sent and confirmed).

Anyone know of cheapest and most reliable text provider for international (UK to overseas - only interested in text).
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 8th Aug 18, 7:30 PM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 1,471 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:30 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:30 PM
    Thanks for heads up. That is a real shame as have been using them since 2010!

Whatsapp is great and use to all family and friends but when messaging new people, not everyone has and is convenient for initial contact. Fishtext is cheapest for international text as range from 1p to 2p or so for most places. I found the messages fairly reliable going through (get green tick if sent and confirmed).

Anyone know of cheapest and most reliable text provider for international (UK to overseas - only interested in text).
    Originally posted by Goldcrypto
    Tesco calling card app. I use it when roaming too.
    • Goldcrypto
    • By Goldcrypto 8th Aug 18, 8:05 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Goldcrypto
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:05 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:05 PM
    Sounds great. Will give it a try!
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 8th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    • 3,783 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    Thank you for tip

Tesco is free, but you must top up every 6 months with minimum 3
    Last edited by ballyblack; 09-08-2018 at 8:48 AM.
    • mclarkie
    • By mclarkie 16th Aug 18, 9:17 AM
    • 6,296 Posts
    • 1,030,964 Thanks
    mclarkie
    • 16th Aug 18, 9:17 AM
    • 16th Aug 18, 9:17 AM
    Wish they had given more notice, it will take me ages to use up my credit.
    Last edited by mclarkie; 16-08-2018 at 9:34 AM.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 16th Aug 18, 10:22 AM
    • 3,783 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 16th Aug 18, 10:22 AM
    • 16th Aug 18, 10:22 AM

you can claim your credit back

Hey FishText User,

We dropped you an email last week about the sad news that we are closing the FishText website. As promised, here's some important information for you.

You have until Thursday 6th September 2018 to use your remaining credit balance before we close FishText; once we close you will not be able to access your account.

If you have any credit remaining after this date we are more than happy to reimburse you. From Friday 7th September 2018, please email our team at fishtext.refunds@clxcommunications.com, confirming the details below:
    Your full name
    The mobile number associated with your account
    With this information we will start to process your refund.

Feel free to email our Support Team at support@fishtext.com if you have any further questions.

The FishText Team
    • redux
    • By redux 16th Aug 18, 10:59 AM
    • 18,556 Posts
    • 24,775 Thanks
    redux
    Thanks again.

It's a pity they haven't sent this to all account holders.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 16th Aug 18, 11:55 AM
    • 3,783 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    ballyblack
    I got it by email..............have you a email address linked to the account?
    • redux
    • By redux 16th Aug 18, 12:00 PM
    • 18,556 Posts
    • 24,775 Thanks
    redux
    I have, and it's also been used for support queries. Despite last week's reply saying I'd be sent the info this week, it didn't come. Now I have it, and am discussing my suggestion to send to all accounts, or what they count as active.
    • southcambssaver
    • By southcambssaver 31st Aug 18, 11:06 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    southcambssaver
    Alternatives to Fishtext?
    I really like Fishtext and use it most days - happy to have only half the conversation on my phone, and the rest on my (Win 7) laptop. BUT it seems there isn't any demand for a comparable service - I haven't been able to find one, anyhow. IF anyone has found a replacement, I suspect lots of us would love to hear about it. I can't see how Tesco Calling Card is at all relevant - nothing to do with composing texts on a laptop, is it?
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 31st Aug 18, 11:22 AM
    • 3,783 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    ballyblack
    You can compose a text for UK in Messenger on a laptop webpage and it will send from the phone via Android messenger App

Do not know about apple phones

https://messages.android.com/

However for international texting I use Tesco Calling App. Its on mobile phone only but free

Last edited by ballyblack; 31-08-2018 at 12:08 PM.
    • Goldcrypto
    • By Goldcrypto 31st Aug 18, 1:03 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Goldcrypto
    I really like Fishtext and use it most days - happy to have only half the conversation on my phone, and the rest on my (Win 7) laptop. BUT it seems there isn't any demand for a comparable service - I haven't been able to find one, anyhow. IF anyone has found a replacement, I suspect lots of us would love to hear about it. I can't see how Tesco Calling Card is at all relevant - nothing to do with composing texts on a laptop, is it?
    Originally posted by southcambssaver
    I too loved the fishtext but the Tesco International calling App with free texting is better. I only use it on mobile but you can use it on a laptop - just add a 'Android Emulator' on your PC.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/83812-run-android-apps-on-your-windows-pc-2
    'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 31st Aug 18, 1:25 PM
    • 3,783 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    ballyblack
    but you can use it on a laptop
    not on a chromebook laptop though

need a web browser

Last edited by ballyblack; 31-08-2018 at 1:40 PM.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 31st Aug 18, 7:17 PM
    • 9,162 Posts
    • 6,862 Thanks
    pmduk
    I've not used a chromebook, are you restricted to using chrome? I'd have thought you could use any of the chromium-based browsers.
    • redux
    • By redux 1st Sep 18, 10:02 AM
    • 18,556 Posts
    • 24,775 Thanks
    redux
    There are several Android apps (and presumably other platforms) with cheap or free messages and calls. Credit can be bought or earned free by watching ads or installing other apps.

This means using a different allocated phone number though.

I haven't used things like WhatsApp; is this worth exploring?
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 1st Sep 18, 10:06 AM
    • 3,783 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    ballyblack
    WhatsApp is good. Only drawback the other party has to have the app installed on their phone. Most people have it installed.

FREE!
    • southcambssaver
    • By southcambssaver 1st Sep 18, 10:18 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    southcambssaver
    Thanks for your advice, Goldcrypto. I see that that it is not al all simple to get the Tesco International Calling App installed on my Windows 7 laptop (have to install Android Emulator, which means having to install Android Studio, and then SDK Manager, and then I suppose try to get the Tesco App installed. All of this is well outside my experience level, even assuming my computer is compatible with all the system requirements). Before I do that, could I check that texts sent with the Tesco App do appear to come from my usual mobile number?
    The beauty of Fishtext was that it was simply a website you signed up to.

BUT if there's nothing like Fishtext after September 6, I'll try that route.
    Has anyone actually successfully installed Tesco International Calling App on a Win 7 Computer, running Firefox? If so I would love to hear from them! Thanks!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,001Posts Today

8,303Users online

Martin's Twitter