Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • too_much_debt
    • By too_much_debt 6th Aug 18, 7:18 PM
    • 3,192Posts
    • 4,581Thanks
    too_much_debt
    Getting photos off a mobile phone.
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:18 PM
    Getting photos off a mobile phone. 6th Aug 18 at 7:18 PM
    Hi

Is it possible to get photos off of an android phone with an unresponsive screen please? (Moto E3 phone)

My daughter's mobile phone has stopped working, the buttons work but the screen is unresponsive, I've tried holding the power button down for 10 seconds+ to reset but screen does not do anything. She's getting lots of e-mails, messages etc from her friends but can't read them.

She has lots of photos that have not been backed up so I wanted to know is there any way of getting the photos off the phone or are they lost forever?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

TMD
    Sealed Pot Challenge #64

2017 - 76.80 so far
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 6th Aug 18, 7:29 PM
    • 33,404 Posts
    • 39,458 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:29 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:29 PM
    Connect to a pc or laptop with the usb charger lead , you should see it pop up , if you are lucky you will see the internal storage Normally called DCIM

Windows will detect the pictures anyway and ask if you want to copy them.

Were they not backed up to her Google photos account automatically
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • too_much_debt
    • By too_much_debt 6th Aug 18, 7:30 PM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 4,581 Thanks
    too_much_debt
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:30 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:30 PM
    Connect to a pc or laptop with the usb charger lead , you should see it pop up , if you are lucky you will see the internal storage Normally called DCIM
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Thanks! I tried connecting it to the computer but it just charges it, nothing comes up, is there a different type of USB cable I need as I think we only have the ones to charge.

Thanks for replying!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #64

2017 - 76.80 so far
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 6th Aug 18, 7:32 PM
    • 33,404 Posts
    • 39,458 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:32 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:32 PM
    It's the same cable

Has it popped up on "my computer" on the pc , should show as another drive , or by phone name/model
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • too_much_debt
    • By too_much_debt 6th Aug 18, 7:52 PM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 4,581 Thanks
    too_much_debt
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:52 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:52 PM
    Hi.

Yes I can see the phone under my devices and drives, when I click on it it says 'this folder is empty'.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #64

2017 - 76.80 so far
    • macman
    • By macman 6th Aug 18, 9:03 PM
    • 42,225 Posts
    • 17,624 Thanks
    macman
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:03 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:03 PM
    As Browntoa pointed out, are you sure they have not been backed up to her Google account, as would normally be the case?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 6th Aug 18, 9:27 PM
    • 1,389 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:27 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:27 PM
    Hi.

Yes I can see the phone under my devices and drives, when I click on it it says 'this folder is empty'.
    Originally posted by too_much_debt
    The problem is you will need to unlock the phone to see the files which is hard if the screen is dead.
    • too_much_debt
    • By too_much_debt 6th Aug 18, 10:19 PM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 4,581 Thanks
    too_much_debt
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:19 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:19 PM
    As Browntoa pointed out, are you sure they have not been backed up to her Google account, as would normally be the case?
    Originally posted by macman
    No idea, she can't log into her google account as she can't remember the password and she can't get a new password request as they send it to her phone and she can't swipe the screen up to open it.

Will have to try and see if we have an old phone that I can put her sim card in. She thinks her photos are on Snapchat but can't remember the password for that either.

Her phone comes up with a message saying 'your data isn't backed up'.

Thanks for replying, think we'll have to forget it and get a new phone.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #64

2017 - 76.80 so far
    • too_much_debt
    • By too_much_debt 6th Aug 18, 10:21 PM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 4,581 Thanks
    too_much_debt
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:21 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:21 PM
    The problem is you will need to unlock the phone to see the files which is hard if the screen is dead.
    Originally posted by wongataa
    Thanks for replying, think we'll just have to forget it and get a new phone.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #64

2017 - 76.80 so far
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,372Posts Today

8,357Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin