Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cypher007
    • By cypher007 5th Aug 18, 8:37 PM
    • 271Posts
    • 35Thanks
    cypher007
    Evans halshaw changing offer
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:37 PM
    Evans halshaw changing offer 5th Aug 18 at 8:37 PM
    Yes I know they haven!!!8217;t got the best reputation.

Anyway offered £9910 on my car took the car to them about 5 day later so still within the quote time limit. They did an apparaisal and found nothing wrong with the car. They then kept me waiting about 15 mins while I assume someone at the head office came back with a buy price. It came back £9542? I asked why and they said it was because I had said it had a full service history when it wasn!!!8217;t actually due yet. Ok I thought I!!!8217;ll walk away and do a bit of research.

This is what I!!!8217;ve found it seems the service history is an excuse and it!!!8217;s more to do with the fact the first quote was on 1 August and the second on the 3rd August.

I figured this out by using the reg from 2 cars identical to mine and using the same mileage figure. I then put one with a full service history and one first service not due. Both came back at the same amount they have offered on my car.

My advice would be when you get the quote go straight there as early as possible.

As for me I wonder if I have any recourse to get them to pay me the original quote as it should have still valid. Will have a look a the t and c.
    Last edited by cypher007; 05-08-2018 at 8:49 PM.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Aug 18, 8:47 PM
    • 27,774 Posts
    • 11,265 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:47 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:47 PM
    Is this car under 1 year old? Do you have a fully stamped service history?

If you said it had a full service history and it had not yet been serviced then i guess they are right. Your service book is devoid of any stamps.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • cypher007
    • By cypher007 5th Aug 18, 8:53 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    cypher007
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:53 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:53 PM
    Yes the car is only 11 months old.

But as Iíve pointed out even if I had put first service not due it wouldnít have made any difference.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 5th Aug 18, 8:58 PM
    • 11,460 Posts
    • 6,551 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:58 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:58 PM
    Yes the car is only 11 months old.

But as Iíve pointed out even if I had put first service not due it wouldnít have made any difference.
    Originally posted by cypher007
    I'm not sure what recourse you want? They don't have to buy your car at the end of the day, and you don't have to sell it if the offer price doesn't suit you.
    • cypher007
    • By cypher007 5th Aug 18, 9:02 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    cypher007
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:02 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:02 PM
    My point is earlier they quoted me online a price which is supposed to be valid for about 7 days dependant on condition. Fair enough. But to then reduce it using an excuse which when tested doesnt hold water annoys me.
    Last edited by cypher007; 05-08-2018 at 9:52 PM.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 5th Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    • 2,475 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    My point is earlier they quoted me online a price which is supposed to be valid for about 7 days dependant on condition. Fair enough. But to then reduce it using an excuse which when tested doesn!!!8217;t hold water annoys me.
    So take your business elsewhere.
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 5th Aug 18, 9:39 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:39 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:39 PM
    Maybe try a main dealer, 11 month old car would fit nicely into their showroom.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 5th Aug 18, 9:49 PM
    • 11,460 Posts
    • 6,551 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:49 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:49 PM
    Maybe try a main dealer, 11 month old car would fit nicely into their showroom.
    Originally posted by wgl2014
    As long as they get it at a price they can profit on.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 5th Aug 18, 9:59 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:59 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 9:59 PM
    As long as they get it at a price they can profit on.
    Originally posted by DUTR
    I don't disagree (they would be fairly rubbish as a business if they paid more than retail!) however they may be able to sell it on as an approved used at a higher price. That could mean a better offer for the OP..... Might not but worth trying!
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Aug 18, 10:14 PM
    • 27,774 Posts
    • 11,265 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    My point is earlier they quoted me online a price which is supposed to be valid for about 7 days dependant on condition. Fair enough. But to then reduce it using an excuse which when tested doesnt hold water annoys me.
    They quoted you a price where you told them it had a full service history. But you have not provided them a service history.

My previous car had gone through 2 services, 2 sets of brake pads and on its 3rd set of tyres at that age.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• cypher007
    • By cypher007 5th Aug 18, 10:18 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    cypher007
    They quoted you a price where you told them it had a full service history. But you have not provided them a service history.

My previous car had gone through 2 services, 2 sets of brake pads and on its 3rd set of tyres at that age.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    The car has only done 5000 miles. It isn!!!8217;t due yet. I!!!8217;ve already explained they are using this as an excuse to reduce the price to the new price they are offering on the similar cars with a full service or first service not due.
    Last edited by cypher007; 06-08-2018 at 12:33 AM.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 6th Aug 18, 1:03 AM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 1,397 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    I hope you have a good reason to be taking a car to be part ex'd after only 11 months. Always going to be caned on depreciation at that point.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 6th Aug 18, 5:42 AM
    • 27,774 Posts
    • 11,265 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Doesnt matter that its only got 5000 miles on the clock, you told them you have a service history when clearly you do not.

So no their original offer does not stand unless you get it serviced before the quote period expires.

Its due a service so they are likely to deduct the costs of that from their offer. Trading in just before the service is due would make me wonder why. Large bill looming with the service for some reason?

• AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 6th Aug 18, 6:24 AM
    • 2,475 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Doesnt matter that its only got 5000 miles on the clock, you told them you have a service history when clearly you do not.

So no their original offer does not stand unless you get it serviced before the quote period expires.

Its due a service so they are likely to deduct the costs of that from their offer. Trading in just before the service is due would make me wonder why. Large bill looming with the service for some reason?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    The first service is usually just an oil and filter change.
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 6th Aug 18, 7:30 AM
    • 8,119 Posts
    • 7,433 Thanks
    Herzlos
    I don't think it's unreasonable to answer yes to "full service history?" When it's not needed a service yet. It's full service history is an empty service book, and it's not behind with anything.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 6th Aug 18, 7:33 AM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 6,178 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    I don't think it's unreasonable to answer yes to "full service history?" When it's not needed a service yet. It's full service history is an empty service book, and it's not behind with anything.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    This seems like the right answer to me.

But it's Evans Halshaw we are talking about so dodgy practices are not unduly surprising I suppose.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 6th Aug 18, 8:28 AM
    • 11,822 Posts
    • 8,562 Thanks
    neilmcl
    OP, if you can find somewhere that will actually pay you £9910 for your car then take it there. Don't be surprised that any dealership will try and milk every penny out of the deal, no real news in that.

Have you done a quote on webuyanycar?

I assume you're no part-exchanging and just simply want to get rid of your car?
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 6th Aug 18, 8:51 AM
    • 13,629 Posts
    • 8,640 Thanks
    arcon5
    The original price was offered in good faith. Second price after doing their own checks and finding misinformation.
    • cypher007
    • By cypher007 6th Aug 18, 9:00 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    cypher007
    Am I not making things clear? I did 2 more quotes, after they changed there offer, on other cars of the same spec and year, just adjusted the mileage to match mine and set one to full service history and one to first service not due. Both came back at what Ive now been quoted when I took the car in. So they were using the new valuation and using the service as an excuse to justify not honering the original quote.
    Last edited by cypher007; 06-08-2018 at 9:03 AM.
    • cypher007
    • By cypher007 6th Aug 18, 9:13 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    cypher007
    Also it wouldnít have been misinformation as I had booked it in for a service that day at SEAT. I then find when I get there that, even though the service light has been on for nearly a month while I was sorting out the service day, they canít do the service until October 1. This is because the VAG service agr eement wonít let them do it early. Probably another good reason to go back to an old car. My view is if the lights on it wants doing. Anyway so they reset the light and told me to come back in October. I then went round to halshaws to sell it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

73Posts Today

2,182Users online

Martin's Twitter