Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • owenjt
    • By owenjt 31st Jul 18, 3:15 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 1Thanks
    owenjt
    0 WOW
    Ford Mustang car hire in California
    • 31st Jul 18, 3:15 PM
    0 WOW
    Ford Mustang car hire in California 31st Jul 18 at 3:15 PM
    Hi. Looking for some car hire advice for California. Will be starting in LA and finishing in San Fran and would really like to hire a Ford Mustang convertible. I know you can't guarantee this car but hopefully I'll be able to get one.

I've managed to find a couple of reasonable quotes:
    • Alamo for 880.76 USD
    • Budget for 987.17 USD

Does anyone have any experience of Alamo and are they any good? Have done quite a bit of research and they're the cheapest.
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 31st Jul 18, 3:41 PM
    • 3,684 Posts
    • 1,842 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 31st Jul 18, 3:41 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 3:41 PM
    Alamo are a well known outfit, personally I'd choose them over Budget. But do these prices in USD mean that you are looking at US websites? Some elements of insurance are not usually included in quotes for American hirers.
    • StuieUK34
    • By StuieUK34 31st Jul 18, 4:37 PM
    • 1,779 Posts
    • 901 Thanks
    StuieUK34
    • 31st Jul 18, 4:37 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 4:37 PM
    why look at USD ???
    I use Alamo for 80% of my rentals in CA / NV .....
    However, don't book on a US site (unless your American)..
    Book through the UK sites, use:
    www.skyscanner.com
    then see which booking agent you prefer to use (ones like: Holiday Autos, AutoEurope, Netflights, expedia)...
    They all do the insurance us Brits need...
    Also, renting from LA (LAX is better than using a downtown HLE operator) and drop off to San Fran = easy peasy...
    Your renting in the same state, so no extra fee's, and also, rentals in CA = 1 free additional driver as standard.....

Alamo tend to only do the Mustang and Camero for the convertible, same for National (same company)
    If you want a real Mustang, or a real Camero, then Hertz (book via hertz.co.uk) will have the bigger choice, where as I've only ever seen 2 Real mustangs at the Alamo site for LAX ... (and you would book your normal convert, and then do a backhand $50 in the guys hand to have him upgrade u into the beast!!)

Real = 5.0 (450+ bhp)
    Tourist = 2.0 ecoBoost engine, or possible the V6 3.5ltr, with around 300bhp
    • photome
    • By photome 31st Jul 18, 5:00 PM
    • 13,386 Posts
    • 8,922 Thanks
    photome
    • 31st Jul 18, 5:00 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 5:00 PM
    I thought the smallest engine mustang In the USA was 2.3L ecoboost with 310 Horses

plenty to have fun with

I have also used Alamo lots of times but book via a UK site

try Alamobrits
    Last edited by photome; 31-07-2018 at 5:02 PM.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 31st Jul 18, 5:06 PM
    • 9,366 Posts
    • 14,440 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 31st Jul 18, 5:06 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 5:06 PM
    5.0 V8 all the way, anything less and you are cheating yourself.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 31st Jul 18, 5:28 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 31st Jul 18, 5:28 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 5:28 PM
    In addition to comments raised, how many are in your party? if one or 2 you should be fine. More than two all with luggage you may struggle in a mustang. They are notoriously small in luggage capacity plus the rear seat passengers don't have much leg room.

I can understand the comment with having the 5 l but the 4cyl ecoboost is still a good drive especially with the added sound turned on

Enjoy your trip.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 31st Jul 18, 5:49 PM
    • 18,702 Posts
    • 7,822 Thanks
    richardw
    • 31st Jul 18, 5:49 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 5:49 PM
    I booked a convertible through Alamo for northern Florida and they gave me a Camaro. Great car, but luggage space is a problem with the top down.
    Hired through Alamo many times in the US and never had a problem, same with Avis-Budget.
    Have you checked usrentacar prices?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • owenjt
    • By owenjt 31st Jul 18, 6:09 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    owenjt
    • 31st Jul 18, 6:09 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 6:09 PM
    What's the issue with using a US website? I'm using a special link as part of my International Student Identity Card that gets me discounted rental on Alamo, Enterprise and National. If I use the UK websites it's more expensive.

There are only 2 of us.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 31st Jul 18, 6:16 PM
    • 3,000 Posts
    • 2,084 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 31st Jul 18, 6:16 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 6:16 PM
    What's the issue with using a US website?
    Originally posted by owenjt
    Natives over there don't need the same insurance cover we do, it's usually included in their own car insurance. Hence the price difference.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • HHarry
    • By HHarry 31st Jul 18, 6:23 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    HHarry
    We used Alamo when we did the same trip in reverse. My Wife was desperate for a Mustang.

We got the the front of the queue and a Camero pulls up....luckily the couple behind us weren't bothered and had it. Thankfully a Mustang was next up.
    Of the 4 convertibles that came through 3 were Mustangs - they know thats what everyone wants, so hopefully you'll be Ok.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 31st Jul 18, 6:37 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    stevie11
    What's the issue with using a US website? I'm using a special link as part of my International Student Identity Card that gets me discounted rental on Alamo, Enterprise and National. If I use the UK websites it's more expensive.

There are only 2 of us.
    As well as the insurance issue, previously explained there may well be additional taxes on top using the US site. Booking an all inc rate through a UK broker you shouldn't be stung for additional fees.

Being a student, are you under 25? Prices will be on the high side due to that. What are you dates?
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 31st Jul 18, 7:09 PM
    • 14,554 Posts
    • 19,586 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Soft luggage is best with a Mustang convertible. You might get one hard case in the boot but not much else.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • photome
    • By photome 31st Jul 18, 7:17 PM
    • 13,386 Posts
    • 8,922 Thanks
    photome

There are only 2 of us.
    Insurance and taxes,

Whats the difference in prices
    • owenjt
    • By owenjt 31st Jul 18, 7:57 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    owenjt
    As well as the insurance issue, previously explained there may well be additional taxes on top using the US site. Booking an all inc rate through a UK broker you shouldn't be stung for additional fees.

Being a student, are you under 25? Prices will be on the high side due to that. What are you dates?
    Originally posted by stevie11
    No I'm over 25. 22 August (LA airport) - 5 September 2018 (San Francisco)

Natives over there don't need the same insurance cover we do, it's usually included in their own car insurance. Hence the price difference.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Thanks. Will check out the site i'm using.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 31st Jul 18, 8:55 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    stevie11
    No I'm over 25. 22 August (LA airport) - 5 September 2018 (San Francisco).
    A quick search and the rates are very high over 900 on the UK web sites. Now it is peak season and American public holiday whilst you are there so may be low supplies.

I still say expect some unwanted surprises if you are still tempted to booking via a US site unfortunately.

Good luck.
    • owenjt
    • By owenjt 31st Jul 18, 10:45 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    owenjt
    Insurance and taxes,

Whats the difference in prices
    Originally posted by photome
    So Alamo is 880.76 USD (roughly 671). Compare to somewhere like Enterprise at 1,110.52.

Just looked at www.rentalcars.com and can get a Mustang there for 702. That's with Budget rental.

So re insurance, what should I be looking for? Does rental include this? The Budget one above includes Theft Protection, Third-Party Liability, Supplemental Liability Insurance, Collision Damage Waiver, Airport Surcharge, Local Taxes. Sounds good no?
    • StuieUK34
    • By StuieUK34 1st Aug 18, 12:18 AM
    • 1,779 Posts
    • 901 Thanks
    StuieUK34
    wow, rates are very high for the convertibles !!!!!

With Alamo, I could get the Stang for 738 (or 725 with Dollar)!!!8230;
    However, that's a stupid amount of money for that car, not worth it!!!

rentalcars with budget is showing 717 , same process with the cars as Alamo & Dollar...!!!8230;!!!8230;

Short answer is, booked in through UK sites...!!!8230;
    or, pay in $ , get stung, and tell us all about it and how much extra you paid at pickup on the 7th September
    • owenjt
    • By owenjt 7th Aug 18, 10:58 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    owenjt
    So re insurance, what should I be looking for? Does rental include this? The Budget one above includes Theft Protection, Third-Party Liability, Supplemental Liability Insurance, Collision Damage Waiver, Airport Surcharge, Local Taxes. Sounds good no?
    Can anyone advise re insurance? Confused as to what I need to do.
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 8th Aug 18, 11:45 AM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 748 Thanks
    cubegame
    If you do a search on www.moneymaxim.co.uk they have options to give you CDW and SLI.

This is what you need.

If you're doing a trip with luggage don't bother with a Mustang. Hire an SUV. The height will give you better views.

If you want to drive a Mustang your local Ford dealer will arrange you a test drive.

https://www.ford.co.uk/shop/research/request-a-test-drive?searchid=ppc:UK-Mustang-Test-Drive-Exact:Mustang-Test-Drive-Exact:ford%20mustang%20test%20drive:e:m:g:GOOGLE&g clid=CjwKCAjwqarbBRBtEiwArlfEIJpmSsvxcNbOM7CwqIEpk wIB-153uF10rP4lFXByeE-oAAIl6RWYehoCqbsQAvD_BwE
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 8th Aug 18, 5:51 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    stevie11
    Can anyone advise re insurance? Confused as to what I need to do.
    Owen, if you book through a UK agent usually the rate will include all necessary insurance. Things to look out for are the excess, if you get a zero excess that is a great but you can purchase an excess plan in the UK that will also usually include items such as lost keys, damage to windows, under carriage etc. A single trip or annual policy pre purchased in the UK will work out cheaper than purchasing at the desk in the US.

I can understand your desire to rent a mustang, I have got the tshirt and bought the car but those rates are crazy, especially when you can get a standard or large size car for 300+.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

366Posts Today

4,316Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin