Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DWhite
    • By DWhite 29th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    • 144Posts
    • 569Thanks
    DWhite
    white goods for a new home
    • 29th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    white goods for a new home 29th Jul 18 at 4:40 PM
    Hi all,

Not sure if this is the best forum to post on but worth a try.
    I'm in the process of buying my first house, it will be myself and my 10 year old living there.

We will need all white goods as there aren't any being left in the property.

I will need a decent, reliable, but not expensive washing machine and fidge/freezer.

What would people recommend in terms of brands and places to shop from?
    In terms of washing load for the washing machine we will only need 7kg capacity for the 2 of us so we can get away with a small machine. But I don't want to go too cheap and have it break down in 18 months. Also in the past I had an indesit machine and struggled to get plumbers to look at it when the heating element went, apprently they don't like working on them??

With regards to the fridge/freezer there's room for a full size one in the kitchen. I do buy lots of fresh fruit/veg and use the freezer to store extra portions of meals so it will need a proper freezer and not just a top part.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 29th Jul 18, 6:17 PM
    • 39,249 Posts
    • 36,205 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 29th Jul 18, 6:17 PM
    • 29th Jul 18, 6:17 PM
    What's your budget? If very limited, I'd look for reconditioned models from local furniture projects and charity shops, but make sure they come with some guarantee.

Brands: when my washing machine died our engineer recommended Bosch.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • -taff
    • By -taff 31st Jul 18, 12:18 PM
    • 8,960 Posts
    • 8,916 Thanks
    -taff
    • 31st Jul 18, 12:18 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 12:18 PM
    I usually go to AO online. There's a pick list at the side for you to choose by budget, manufacturer etc, and the reviews of the appliances have always been spot on.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 31st Jul 18, 7:56 PM
    • 3,783 Posts
    • 10,154 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 31st Jul 18, 7:56 PM
    • 31st Jul 18, 7:56 PM
    If you aren't bothered about appearance, Currys have clearance stores where appliances with cosmetic damage are sold at big discounts. Usually dents or scratches.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 1st Aug 18, 1:22 AM
    • 5,388 Posts
    • 7,541 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 1st Aug 18, 1:22 AM
    • 1st Aug 18, 1:22 AM
    People usually say good things about Bosch washing machines and dishwashers.

I have one of those larfe American style fridge freezers and I hate the freezer section. It's very narrow and stuff always falls out of the shelves. It's terrible for batch cooking and isn't even wide enough for a big pizza. Our last fridge had big freezer drawers at the bottom and these were much much better. My parents have a full height one-door fridge in the kitchen and a separate full height one-door freeze in the utility room. This gives them loads of storage. A friend has a small chest freezer in their garage for their batch cooking.which I think they picked up fairly cheaply.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 1st Aug 18, 10:21 AM
    • 2,651 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    chelseablue
    • 1st Aug 18, 10:21 AM
    • 1st Aug 18, 10:21 AM
    I currently have a Samsung washing machine and I must say its the best I've had. Had it for 3 years and no problems yet.

Our dishwasher is from Ikea and is about 10 years old (left from previous owners) and not had a problem with it yet either.

Hope I haven't jinxed it now saying that!
    Mortgage starting balance 231,000
    Mortgage after Year 1 225,000
    Mortgage after Year 2 218,000
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 2nd Aug 18, 6:59 PM
    • 3,783 Posts
    • 10,154 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 2nd Aug 18, 6:59 PM
    • 2nd Aug 18, 6:59 PM
    People usually say good things about Bosch washing machines and dishwashers.
    Originally posted by Kynthia
    I'm really happy with my Bosch appliances, would always get them again.
    • room512
    • By room512 3rd Aug 18, 10:03 AM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 2,292 Thanks
    room512
    • 3rd Aug 18, 10:03 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 10:03 AM
    We bought the lowest price Bosch dishwasher years ago and it's still working. That was from AO. We got our fridge freezer from Currys and John Lewis was the cheapest for our washing machine. AO was more expensive for the fridge freezer and washing machine, which surprised me as when looking for the dishwasher they were the far cheapest.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 3rd Aug 18, 10:05 AM
    • 9,721 Posts
    • 14,944 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 3rd Aug 18, 10:05 AM
    • 3rd Aug 18, 10:05 AM
    I get everything from https://ao.com next day delivery and if needed will fit and plumb in appliances. Keep it simple.

Only pain is the "friendly" call you'll get trying to flog you a warranty, a quick foxtrot oscar does the trick.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 6th Aug 18, 3:42 AM
    • 556 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    Tiexen
    + for AO

I bought a Hisense as it was one of the few that a was a 50/50 split Fridge/Freezer was frost free for both, and has temp lights for both (light up on opening fridge). and a fan to keep fridge temp stable, had it 2 years with no problems, so pleased I bought one of their TV
    • Rubik
    • By Rubik 6th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Rubik
    Why not look on Freecycle for some of the appliances? You'd be very surprised at what people are happy to give away free. You could then save a bit each month to replace them with good quality appliances as when you need too.
    • kangoora
    • By kangoora 8th Aug 18, 12:33 AM
    • 595 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    kangoora
    You could try your local auction house (general sales, not fine art ). Ours often sells 2nd hand white goods for stupidly cheap prices e.g Bosch washer/dryer for 55, large Beko fridge for 30, Panasonic microwave for 10 - just a few I looked up just now from last weeks sale at my nearest auction house.

Quite often they will simply be estate sales from someone who has deceased. You're taking a bit of a chance as you have no comeback if it fails to work however.

You'll need some sort of transport unless the auction house can arrange delivery, check with them beforehand and ask for prices.

Some of the larger charity shops will also sell cheap as already mentioned....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,170Posts Today

8,711Users online

Martin's Twitter