Lifetime ISA should be scrapped, says influential group of MPs - MSE News

Options
A group of MPs has called for the Lifetime ISA to be scrapped, just over a year after it was launched...
Read the full story:
'Lifetime ISA should be scrapped, says influential group of MPs'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 26 July 2018 at 11:01AM
    Options
    I completely disagree. I've paid into a workplace pension where my employer contributes too for 3 years now. I saw the Lifetime ISA as an added bonus, primarily to get a house with.

Sounds like jealousy politics.
  • Mattmuzz
    Mattmuzz Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Lifetime ISA is the only reason I have been able to afford a deposit on a house, it is extremely beneficial for FTBs.
  • bobbiz22
    bobbiz22 Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use my Lifetime ISA as saving for my first house, there are less limits than the Help To Buy which is restricted to £250 a month.

If they scrapped it, it would be a shame!
  • AJS321
    AJS321 Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    Mattmuzz wrote: »
    Lifetime ISA is the only reason I have been able to afford a deposit on a house, it is extremely beneficial for FTBs.

I’m just about to apply for one for the same reason. I just can’t understand why they’d scrap it.

I thought the advise was to use as a top up to a workplace pension, not an alternative to one. If people haven’t been heeding that advice then that’s their problem, but no reason why it should be scrapped.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    For anyone interested in reading the unfiltered version, the relevant section of the actual committee report is https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmtreasy/565/56508.htm#_idTextAnchor055

Perhaps worth noting that this is positioned within the retirement savings section, i.e. the recommendation to abolish is largely in the context of its long-term savings aspect - it does seem a fair criticism to me that using the same product to compete with both pensions and HTB ISA causes confusion.

UK Finance's input was that "has yet to prove popular with providers and has therefore seen limited take up by customers" which seems self-evident, certainly in the context of the cash product, although 170,000 apparently received LISA bonuses, but they also "encourage the Government to consider extending the Help to Buy", i.e. they don't want LISA to be abolished and leave first time buyers high and dry when HTB reaches its scheduled end date next year.

It appears that the committee's collective view was heavily influenced by Sir Steve Webb, Director of Policy and External Communications, Royal London, and former Minister of State for Pensions, who has strong opinions about it, so it'll be interesting to see what reaction the report gets from others in government....
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I would have uptaken it, as a long term cash saving to accompany my pensions, but they seem to have dug out a ridiculous arbitrary age range for opening the product which excludes me.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • xnoxxnox
    xnoxxnox Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I dislike pensions, as it is harder to access that money, in case of emergency. LISA is attractive in that sense, as one can access money by paying the penalty if one needs the money. And LISA makes sense if one already contributes the maximum percentage that is matched by the employer. As LISA charges are usually lower than work-place pension thus contributing more than is matched is more expensive into the pension. (including end-to-end taxation).
  • aj23_2
    Options
    Mattmuzz wrote: »

Same for me. I mean, once I've used for a deposit, I'll keep depositing until I'm 40, but yeah primarily it's for a house for me.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lifetime ISA is highly flawed. Trying to use a single product that caters for first time buyers and for retirement planning is daft. it needs to change as it is overly complicated, has conflicting objectives and is too small in value to be offered by providers profitably. That is in part why you only tend to see it offered by loss making providers trying to gain market share (obvious exceptions to any generalisation).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • aj23_2
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Lifetime ISA is highly flawed. Trying to use a single product that caters for first time buyers and for retirement planning is daft. it needs to change as it is overly complicated, has conflicting objectives and is too small in value to be offered by providers profitably. That is in part why you only tend to see it offered by loss making providers trying to gain market share (obvious exceptions to any generalisation).

Well it's not, because it depends on your circumstance. A self employed person would be better off using a LISA for a pension than paying into a private pension.

If, like me, you live somewhere where a Help to Buy ISA bonus isn't acceptable because nothing is less than 250k, then the LISA is the better option as it's for properties up to 450k.

Nottingham BS is about to open branch and online versions. Maybe more will follow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure