Clarification of Building Regulations for a porch?

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ronan01 wrote: »
    Building a porch to any external door of your house is a permitted development, you do not require planning permission for that....
    As macman is hinting, that's not true in all locations/situations.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    Some jobsworths at some councils will pursue requirements for retrospective building warrants.

Is this based on previous experience in Scotland?

Things may be different up there. Hadrian thought so ...
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    I've seen the latter stated several times on this forum, but it doesn't always apply. Some jobsworths at some councils will pursue requirements for retrospective building warrants.

Which adds two reasons for labelling such homeowners as foolish - sidetracking regulations that are there for reasons of safety, etc., and opening themselves up (or subsequent owners) to subsequent grief from the local authority.

Yes matters can be pursued. I am aware of it where I live. But these examples were people who were pushing boundaries, and also people who had probably antagonised Council staff.

Nobody will enforce Regulations on the door inside a porch for two reasons. First, the council will not know. Second, we are in an era of cut backs - Councils do not have the staff.

But consumers are foolish to evade the Regulations - the Regulations exist for the well being of everybody.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Is this based on previous experience in Scotland?

Things may be different up there. Hadrian thought so ...

Yes, Scotland. I think it is less a function of location than a particular individual who has a widespread reputation of being on a mission to make as many people as he can miserable before he retires. If I had any say in the matter, he'd be fired.
    Furts wrote: »
    Yes matters can be pursued. I am aware of it where I live. But these examples were people who were pushing boundaries, and also people who had probably antagonised Council staff.

Nobody will enforce Regulations on the door inside a porch for two reasons. First, the council will not know. Second, we are in an era of cut backs - Councils do not have the staff.

But consumers are foolish to evade the Regulations - the Regulations exist for the well being of everybody.

In the example I am referring to (and which I'll write more detail about when everything is done and dusted), the context is about the same level as a porch door (and also "hidden from view", so the Council was only aware because they were informed about it by persons unknown). The whole episode is extremely bizarre - but doesn't fall under any of the categories you describe above. I guess my point is that these things happen very rarely, but they do happen.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If they are informed about a breach in regulations they have a duty to follow it up in my experience - had a similar thing happen recently to someone who had been lied to by a conservatory company and the ended up with remedial works to gain retrospective consent - there's always the possibility of getting enforcement action if you've upset a neighbor or someone who knows the regs but the likelihood of enforcement action on a door in a porch is minimal
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    The locking isn't an issue, nor is size. If you go to any joiner or DIY Shed and ask for an internal or external door, you're going to be sold different doors. There's no question what is internal and what is external.

Building control is there so that we have structurally safe, warm homes to live in. We should all be happy to have habitable spaces that are like that. Building regulations should be embraced as a minimum standard for homes, not something to be avoided.

If you want to put radiators in a porch or have it open to the house, it is an extension of the habitable space and so we should be thinking carefully about the longevity of the building and keeping the heat in. If it is just somewhere to protect the main house from draughts and keep the rain off us, then it might be considered less important and more temporary. If I were building a porch, I'd be giving it proper foundations, regardless. A common trait of old bay windows and porches is that they start to separate from the house.

If you feel that the door keeps the cold out, then it's probably enough. No one is going to come knocking.

Friends went through this malarky.

Wanted a porch to enlarge the hall and provide space for shoes/ coats etc

Had porch built with proper external door on outside of porch.

Kept original external door.

Got building regs sign off.

Removed original external door, frame and part of wall to open up space.

Realised that hall+ porch area was now colder due to larger area.

Added under floor heating to porch area (major ££ for retro fit) + relay floor and redecorate some areas.

At least now they have what they wanted, but it costs a lot more than going down the legal route.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • wookie6
    wookie6 Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its strange that the building regs apply the same rules regardless of the size of the porch... You would think a porch less than 3 Square meters (external measurements) that does not require planning permission, if built with double skinned walls and an external door wouldn't lead to any significant heat loss if opened up without the original external (now inner) door.

I can obviously see this could be an issue if you have a large porch though...
  • wookie6
    wookie6 Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When the time comes to sell up then due diligence kicks in and prospective purchasers spot where owners have been bodging and evading on porch conversions and other areas.

An external door should be a minimum 44mm thick - one easy way to check matters when purchasing a home with a "porch conversion".

So what happens in this scenario? You go to buy a house, find the porch doesn't meet building regs for what ever reason... what happens then?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wookie6 wrote: »
    Its strange that the building regs apply the same rules regardless of the size of the porch... You would think a porch less than 3 Square meters (external measurements) that does not require planning permission, if built with double skinned walls and an external door wouldn't lead to any significant heat loss if opened up without the original external (now inner) door.

You'd just apply for building control approval if you'd conformed to regs. Have approval for the 'extension'.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    wookie6 wrote: »

Because the porch does not comply with Buildings Regulations you can build it how you like. Plastic panels, single glazing, 100mm brick walls, no dpc, uninsulated floor, flat roof with felt covering, and much more are common precisely because it is unregulated.

The Building Regulations came about to combat jerry building. This jerry building still occurs in areas not subject to these Regulations. A small porch is one example. Conservatories are another example. Both are proof that consumers, and builders, will bodge anything one can imagine if Regulations do not exist to prevent them doing this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure