getting what im entitled to

Options
i fell off the roof of my dads house while trying to save my neighbors dog from falling. i was in hospital for 3 weeks with all sorts of breaks and complications. cant work for another year at-least signed by a doctor.

i want to claim my entitlement and what im owed by the state in benefits. im thinking incapacity benefit, income support, employment support allowance and anything else im eligible to get. doctors still yet to find out after physio if im left disabled as my back is severely damaged. i wont look into disability and mobility until thats confirmed though. in the meantime i need to claim anything for my current situation. any advice or information to help?

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well you're in for an education, you can't claim incapacity as they done away with that years ago, same goes for income support on the grounds of disability.

If you have a job you can claim sick pay until that runs out then ESA, if not you go straight onto ESA unless you live in a universal credit area and haven't paid enough national insurance in the last two years in which case you need to claim universal credits.

Best visit citizens advice and find out what's what in your area. You can't claim PIP (previously DLA or disability living allowance) until you've been disabled for 3 months and are expected to need help with personal care or mobility for another 6 months.
  • AyJay18
    AyJay18 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    Well you're in for an education, you can't claim incapacity as they done away with that years ago, same goes for income support on the grounds of disability.

If you have a job you can claim sick pay until that runs out then ESA, if not you go straight onto ESA unless you live in a universal credit area and haven't paid enough national insurance in the last two years in which case you need to claim universal credits.

Best visit citizens advice and find out what's what in your area. You can't claim PIP (previously DLA or disability living allowance) until you've been disabled for 3 months and are expected to need help with personal care or mobility for another 6 months.

my job laid me off and said im not getting a penny because i never paid into the sick fund. im going to contact CAB and get them to print a list of everything i can claim for. ill send bank statements,, doctors certificates,, injury photos,, fill out applications whatever needs doing to claim my money.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can we just clarify your dates please as I am a bit confused

You've been in hospital for three weeks and laid off work yet here

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5868566

you came back from work Wednesday night.

Beyond that the advice to go to CAB is sound and sensible.
  • AyJay18
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Can we just clarify your dates please as I am a bit confused

You've been in hospital for three weeks and laid off work yet here

you came back from work Wednesday night.

i went in to work to speak to hr about getting sick pay. but it was turned down. so now im laid off.
  • NeilCr
    Options
    Rules for SSP

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/sick-pay/check-if-youre-entitled-to-sick-pay/

From this are you entitled?

It also tells you what to do if you are entitled and your employer won't pay it
  • AyJay18
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Rules for SSP

From this are you entitled?

in my work they have a sick fund. you pay a bit of your salary into it every month. they do it for you. then when you off sick they pay you from your fund and can keep your job until it runs out. i never paid anything so no money and no job intact.
  • NeilCr
    Options
    Which isn't what I asked you.

From the link I gave you do you qualify for SSP.

If you do not then towards the bottom there is another link to information about what benefits you may be able to get.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AyJay18 wrote: »
    i fell off the roof of my dads house while trying to save my neighbors dog from falling. i was in hospital for 3 weeks with all sorts of breaks and complications. cant work for another year at-least signed by a doctor.

i want to claim my entitlement and what im owed by the state in benefits. im thinking incapacity benefit, income support, employment support allowance and anything else im eligible to get. doctors still yet to find out after physio if im left disabled as my back is severely damaged. i wont look into disability and mobility until thats confirmed though. in the meantime i need to claim anything for my current situation. any advice or information to help?

You've just spunked £1500 on dog, how are you going to walk it if you are incapacitated?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5868570
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    School's out.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thing is you're going to be screwed when it comes to mobility, your physio will prescribe you walking exercises and they'll use that prescription to argue that you can manage 20m, by the time you're 3 months down the line, get the form, get the medical out the way, plus the MR and the tribunal you'll be healed from most breaks so you can kiss mobility PIP goodbye. You'd still be in a rehab unit 3 weeks out if you were that bad. Which leaves "daily living", again with breaks you'll be healing quickly and at 6 months (conservative estimate for getting a medical) you should be able to wipe your own backside, make a sandwich, eat said sandwich, make a drink, you might need help with clothes and showering but is it enough to score you points?

So that leaves ESA, you'll probably not make it into the support group long term - short term maybe, you're not a danger to yourself (well you were stupid enough to get on a roof so there's an angle to play but it probably won't get you very far) but they might give you mobility points in the short term. Long term you'll end up in the work group, yeah you have a few breaks but so have most people at some point.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure