Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elise5985
    • By elise5985 13th Jul 18, 2:45 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 76Thanks
    elise5985
    1 year old car fire. Total loss after garage repair :(
    • 13th Jul 18, 2:45 PM
    1 year old car fire. Total loss after garage repair :( 13th Jul 18 at 2:45 PM
    Hi

Iím totally baffled. Basically 3 weeeks ago I was driving my car and noticed smoke (2017 Ateca) I pulled over, no warning from car, and it was on fire. Iíd been driving for 3 mins and had picked the car up from the SEAT dealer where it was repaired (turbo) only 2 days before. And driven no more than 10miles between then.

This was a really scary experience. As the breaks had failed too, then I had to watch my car burn. Luckily Iím ok.

I called recovery and then the insuers as instructed by fire service.

I visited the CityGate dealer on the Monday (this happened sat afternoon) and explained what happened and showed them pictures. I asked to see the documents from the repair but they refused. And told me I needed to deal with this via my insurers and they would help where they could.

After lots of chasing and citygate still refusing to hand over original documents only an invoice written 10 days after.

SEAT have not been helpful at all. The finance company have given me a settlement figure. And insurers are happy to pay that minus my excess £500. So far the insurers arenít disclosing if they will Persu seat for the costs. So I could be left with a bad mark against my name and. £500 short. They also have yet to confirm doing a fire report. Despite saying they would... the case has changed hands, due to someone leaving.

Iíve asked them not to settle the claim as Iím Confused wether I can make a claim via consumer rights. I spoke to CAB and they advised I do. And gave me some words to write but Iím still at a loss as to where to start.

I called the finance company and they said they have a complaint already from me and I can expect a response within 8 weeks. They have also taken it up with citygate.

Also importantly I want to be safe in the knowledge As to wether this an issue with the ATECA model ie a manufacturering fault. Or it was poor workmanship with the turbo repair.

My bets on the latter.

Anyway any advice appreciated. I donít know where to start with the letter.

Thanks for getting this far
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 13th Jul 18, 2:48 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 4,780 Thanks
    waamo
    • 13th Jul 18, 2:48 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 2:48 PM
    Why go all private detective? You've handed to your insurer so let them deal with it. It's what you pay them for.
    This space for hire.
    • elise5985
    • By elise5985 13th Jul 18, 2:56 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    elise5985
    • 13th Jul 18, 2:56 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 2:56 PM
    Because I!!!8217;m going to be out of pocket. My insurance is going to rise. This wasn!!!8217;t my fault. Should i state the obvious. That!!!8217;s why I!!!8217;m in the consumer section.

And so far the insurers are not helping with the above.

Thanks
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Jul 18, 3:05 PM
    • 11,220 Posts
    • 8,036 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 13th Jul 18, 3:05 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 3:05 PM
    Did you take out GAP insurance?
    • marlot
    • By marlot 13th Jul 18, 3:06 PM
    • 3,521 Posts
    • 2,633 Thanks
    marlot
    • 13th Jul 18, 3:06 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 3:06 PM
    ...This wasn't my fault....
    Originally posted by elise5985
    And it may not be negligence on the part of the garage (though it does look rather suspecious).

I think all you can do is keep chasing the insurance company. And put a report in to DVSA. https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-serious-safety-defect
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 13th Jul 18, 3:08 PM
    • 10,617 Posts
    • 4,512 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 13th Jul 18, 3:08 PM
    You decide what avenue you want to pursue .

Via Courts but you will need real evidence and it may cost .

Via Insurance company who will deal with it all . £500 excess you may be able to claim that back .Your so called black mark is on record even if insurers do not carry on with the claim .

Get an independent insurance claims Loss Assessor to take up your case .

<Loss Assessors work for you, the policyholder. They are independent professionals who are employed by you to protect your interests..
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 13th Jul 18, 3:08 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    bigisi
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Hmmmm let me guess...
    • Lomast
    • By Lomast 13th Jul 18, 3:12 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    Lomast
    • 13th Jul 18, 3:12 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 3:12 PM
    What documents are you expecting the garage to have to hand over. I have only ever had a invoice/ receipt in not sure what else you would expect them to have

• elise5985
    • By elise5985 13th Jul 18, 3:23 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    elise5985
    • 13th Jul 18, 3:23 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 3:23 PM
    Garage have documents from work on the day, the invoice was written long after.

Gap insurance not needed (payout more than finance request) but thanks for your assumptions

Thanks for advice from those able to give
    • waamo
    • By waamo 13th Jul 18, 3:28 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 4,780 Thanks
    waamo

Gap insurance not needed (payout more than finance request) but thanks for your assumptions

What documents do you think the garage has? They will have receipts for any parts they need to buy in (if any) and a job card. Thats it.
    This space for hire.
    • elise5985
    • By elise5985 13th Jul 18, 3:30 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    elise5985
    All they have given is an invoice and that has take 2 weeks. And they already knew about the issue
    • waamo
    • By waamo 13th Jul 18, 3:35 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 4,780 Thanks
    waamo
    All they have given is an invoice and that has take 2 weeks. And they already knew about the issue
    All the job card will tell you is how long the job is expected to take and a rough description of the fault. It may have any fault codes they found.

It is highly unlikely it will assist you in any way.
    This space for hire.
    • elise5985
    • By elise5985 13th Jul 18, 3:44 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    elise5985
    Go figure! that!!!8217;s exactly the information I don!!!8217;t have.
    There was a problem during the repair as I was sent home after waiting for it to be done. Called back, Picked up the car and it drove fine. All I know is itbhad an epc fault and they had to do something to the turbo.

This isn!!!8217;t the issue here I!!!8217;m after advice about consumer rights. As explained above, I was just giving the story.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 13th Jul 18, 4:31 PM
    • 10,617 Posts
    • 4,512 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Consumer rights see sticky top of the page .

Consumer rights don't give you the right to job cards etc . As said job card will say very little that will help you .
    Fault

Parts used .
    Time taken .
    The service manager/ mechanic will have known more detail at the time of repair . But that detail is not written up except for a warranty claim . Even then its basic fault parts used reason for claim .

You are basically chasing something that you think will go into a huge amount of detail and does not .

Where you start with the letter is LBA letter before action ( google has templates ).
    You state the problem and what you expect done to rectify the problem before you take court action .
    The garage is free to ignore this letter and wait for the courts or deal with the insurance company .
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 13th Jul 18, 4:37 PM
    • 13,604 Posts
    • 8,629 Thanks
    arcon5
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Not sure gap will cover it??
    They cover the gap between the finance settlement figure and vehicles value whereas ops insurers have agreed a payout that covers the finance. Less a pre agreed excess covered by op
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 13th Jul 18, 4:38 PM
    • 13,604 Posts
    • 8,629 Thanks
    arcon5
    Rather than chasing paperwork that won't help anything, you need to establish the actual cause. At the moment it's just circumstantial
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Jul 18, 4:45 PM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    AndyMc.....

So youíre not going to be out of pocket.
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 13th Jul 18, 4:51 PM
    • 10,109 Posts
    • 11,360 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    You mentioned that the brakes failed on the car. How long before you noticed the fire did this happen?

It's possible that the repair on the turbo had nothing whatsoever to do with the fire and this was simply a coincidence and the real cause was something to do with the brakes (binding brake overheating perhaps?)
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 13th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 2,070 Thanks
    Ectophile
    So youíre not going to be out of pocket.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....

Apart from the £500 policy excess.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Jul 18, 6:57 PM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Apart from the £500 policy excess.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    Not really a loss is it?

You decide any loss you can swallow when you take out the policy.
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,723Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

• RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• Follow Martin