Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crauf254
    • By crauf254 10th Jul 18, 6:37 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    crauf254
    Tesco mobile refusing repair due to Rooting
    • 10th Jul 18, 6:37 PM
    Tesco mobile refusing repair due to Rooting 10th Jul 18 at 6:37 PM
    Hi everyone.

So last week my huawei p10 lite started acting up. Would constantly reboot and then come up with a verification failed error, apps unresponsive etc. No problem - the phone is only four months into contract and the guys in store were super helpful arranging for me to send off for repair.

Then had a call from Tesco repair center today. Apparently they won't do the repair - they say the warranty is void as the phone is rooted. I'd never even heard of this before and on reading up, it's definitely not something I've done. I just don't have that level of tech expertise.

The repair center were super unhelpful - saying all they could do was read what was on the file. Therefore I've escalated it to their 'concerns' department who are going to call me back.

Has anyone had a similar problem where they've been told their phone is rooted when they didn't do it? What was the outcome? Or does anyone have any general advice in terms of how to deal with tesco mobile?

Much appreciated
Page 1
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 10th Jul 18, 8:05 PM
    • 2,823 Posts
    • 2,130 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:05 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:05 PM
    Was it sealed when you got it?
    • crauf254
    • By crauf254 10th Jul 18, 9:44 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    crauf254
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:44 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:44 PM
    Yes it was so I don't think anyone else had it before. I haven't even installed any new apps recently. I'm just completely baffled and, unfortunately, expecting little support from Tesco as it's a my word against there's situation.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 11th Jul 18, 7:09 AM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:09 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:09 AM
    Looks like it!!!8217;s been hacked. Could be by someone close to you...
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th Jul 18, 1:18 PM
    • 10,625 Posts
    • 4,516 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 11th Jul 18, 1:18 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 1:18 PM
    I would want more clarification on why they say rooted .
    Its a bit more complicated than just flashing a file on this model .
    • FrugalFriend
    • By FrugalFriend 11th Jul 18, 2:44 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    FrugalFriend
    • 11th Jul 18, 2:44 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 2:44 PM
    I suggest making a claim under the Small Claims Court procedure. This can be done online. I would now refuse to accept a repair, and claim for a refund, or replacement.
    Tesco have provided you with a faulty item, that's not fit for purpose, therefore you are entitled to a refund or replacement. The warranty is in addition to your consumer rights in law, not a substitute.
    Take action now rather than let Tesco and their repair centre give you the runaround.
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 11th Jul 18, 3:11 PM
    • 5,106 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    Jon 01
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:11 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:11 PM
    I'm fairly sure that when a phones rooted the changed files will have been date stamped with the day they were created, and hence the date the rooting was performed.

Should be a simple matter to workout if this date is before or after the date the phone was received by the Op...
    • crauf254
    • By crauf254 11th Jul 18, 4:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    crauf254
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:31 PM
    Thanks
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:31 PM
    Thanks for everyone's advice. Like I say I'm not expecting much slack from them as ultimately it comes down to a my word against there's situation. I know I didn't root the phone, they are saying it was a new phone and I did. The phone has been rooted but I have no evidence that I didn't do it. Stale mate really. If I request the phone back whilst still keeping the claim open is it all fixable elsewhere?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 11th Jul 18, 5:04 PM
    • 2,343 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 11th Jul 18, 5:04 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 5:04 PM
    Thanks for everyone's advice. Like I say I'm not expecting much slack from them as ultimately it comes down to a my word against there's situation. I know I didn't root the phone, they are saying it was a new phone and I did. The phone has been rooted but I have no evidence that I didn't do it. Stale mate really. If I request the phone back whilst still keeping the claim open is it all fixable elsewhere?
    Originally posted by crauf254
    Just a thought but have you checked that it is rooted? Pick one from the following:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=root%20check&c=apps
    • crauf254
    • By crauf254 11th Jul 18, 5:35 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    crauf254
    I'm going to request my phone back and do this. Although the problems I was having that resulted in me sending it off are very symptomatic of a rooting gone wrong - from what I've read. So the upshot is someone or something has tried to root my phone, messed it up in the process and then I can't fix the rooting gone wrong because the rooting has voided the warranty. Catch 22
    • crauf254
    • By crauf254 11th Jul 18, 5:37 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    crauf254
    Could it be linked that someone also got hold of my credit card details in the last week and used that?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Jul 18, 7:48 AM
    • 2,343 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Could it be linked that someone also got hold of my credit card details in the last week and used that?
    You need to be in in physical possession of the phone to root it.
    • datostar
    • By datostar 12th Jul 18, 7:28 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    datostar
    Might be completely irrelevant here, but I had a Huawei Ascend P1LTE a few years back, brand new from EE and I could never install the Barclays Banking App on it because it invariably reported that the phone was rooted. I put it down to perhaps the Huawei Android 'skin' and never followed it up. I imagine it'll be a software check that Tesco repair does in the same way that financially sensitive apps obviously check during installation.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Jul 18, 9:21 PM
    • 32,118 Posts
    • 20,204 Thanks
    DCFC79
    In no way are the 2 linked, you need to have the phone in your possession to do it.
    • PHK
    • By PHK 13th Jul 18, 8:05 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    PHK
    @datostar

You could be right. Along with rooting status, apps often check that the device us Certified.

(You can check this in Google Play Store settings.)

If the device is not certified then most banking apps won't run and it might trigger Tescos check.

Things that can make a device Not Certified:

Beta firmware
    Chinese Firmware - don't come bundled with Google Services
    Custom Roms
    If Google Services have been removed/disabled.

I would not have thought the middle two would apply to a Tesco supplied Device. The OP would remember if they had done the other two.

The other possibility, is that the OP has gone into developer settings and done an OEM unlock.

Probably the most likely explanation is a mistake by Tesco.
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 13th Jul 18, 12:48 PM
    • 2,615 Posts
    • 1,544 Thanks
    anotheruser
    Of no help to the OP as they clearly aren't sure but you could just relock the bootloader. Then install a fresh standard romfrom Google and it'll be like it was never rooted.
    Time differences in the files won't matter as you could suggest you did a full reset to "speed the phone up" (not that this works but play dumb).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,455Posts Today

8,617Users online

Martin's Twitter