Tesco mobile refusing repair due to Rooting

Options
crauf254
crauf254 Posts: 6 Forumite
Hi everyone.

So last week my huawei p10 lite started acting up. Would constantly reboot and then come up with a verification failed error, apps unresponsive etc. No problem - the phone is only four months into contract and the guys in store were super helpful arranging for me to send off for repair.

Then had a call from Tesco repair center today. Apparently they won't do the repair - they say the warranty is void as the phone is rooted. I'd never even heard of this before and on reading up, it's definitely not something I've done. I just don't have that level of tech expertise.

The repair center were super unhelpful - saying all they could do was read what was on the file. Therefore I've escalated it to their 'concerns' department who are going to call me back.

Has anyone had a similar problem where they've been told their phone is rooted when they didn't do it? What was the outcome? Or does anyone have any general advice in terms of how to deal with tesco mobile?

Much appreciated

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Was it sealed when you got it?
  • crauf254
    Options
    Yes it was :( so I don't think anyone else had it before. I haven't even installed any new apps recently. I'm just completely baffled and, unfortunately, expecting little support from Tesco as it's a my word against there's situation.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Looks like it!!!8217;s been hacked. Could be by someone close to you...
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would want more clarification on why they say rooted .
    Its a bit more complicated than just flashing a file on this model .
  • FrugalFriend
    FrugalFriend Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suggest making a claim under the Small Claims Court procedure. This can be done online. I would now refuse to accept a repair, and claim for a refund, or replacement.
    Tesco have provided you with a faulty item, that's not fit for purpose, therefore you are entitled to a refund or replacement. The warranty is in addition to your consumer rights in law, not a substitute.
    Take action now rather than let Tesco and their repair centre give you the runaround.
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm fairly sure that when a phones rooted the changed files will have been date stamped with the day they were created, and hence the date the rooting was performed.

Should be a simple matter to workout if this date is before or after the date the phone was received by the Op...
  • crauf254
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's advice. Like I say I'm not expecting much slack from them as ultimately it comes down to a my word against there's situation. I know I didn't root the phone, they are saying it was a new phone and I did. The phone has been rooted but I have no evidence that I didn't do it. Stale mate really. If I request the phone back whilst still keeping the claim open is it all fixable elsewhere?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    crauf254 wrote: »
    Thanks for everyone's advice. Like I say I'm not expecting much slack from them as ultimately it comes down to a my word against there's situation. I know I didn't root the phone, they are saying it was a new phone and I did. The phone has been rooted but I have no evidence that I didn't do it. Stale mate really. If I request the phone back whilst still keeping the claim open is it all fixable elsewhere?

Just a thought but have you checked that it is rooted? Pick one from the following:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=root%20check&c=apps
  • crauf254
    Options
    I'm going to request my phone back and do this. Although the problems I was having that resulted in me sending it off are very symptomatic of a rooting gone wrong - from what I've read. So the upshot is someone or something has tried to root my phone, messed it up in the process and then I can't fix the rooting gone wrong because the rooting has voided the warranty. Catch 22
  • crauf254
    Options
    Could it be linked that someone also got hold of my credit card details in the last week and used that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure