Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Rosie
    • By MSE Rosie 10th Jul 18, 5:21 PM
    • 78Posts
    • 36Thanks
    MSE Rosie
    MSE Poll: How do you feel now about Brexit?
    • 10th Jul 18, 5:21 PM
    MSE Poll: How do you feel now about Brexit? 10th Jul 18 at 5:21 PM
    Poll started 10 July 2018
    There are now only eight months to go until the official date we leave the EU. Over the weekend the cabinet agreed a compromise (with itself) over our trade-negotiating stance, then like a dripping tap the resignations started.

Yet there is now sort of a plan in place, so how do you feel about Brexit and how the negotiations are going?

Which of these is CLOSEST to your view?

PS: Itís likely the proportion of leave/remain voters wonít match the actual vote, as this isnít a statistical sample of the UK population. More interesting is how each group of voters now feels.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 10th Jul 18, 8:17 PM
    • 4,185 Posts
    • 15,255 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:17 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:17 PM
    get out and argue later.

resignations from a sitting government can only be a good thing, it brings the next general election another step closer.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 75.3
    Total so far - 2160.3
    • Senseicads
    • By Senseicads 11th Jul 18, 9:03 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    Senseicads
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:03 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:03 AM
    I think one thing everyone is agreed on, regardless of which way you voted, is that the negotiations are a shambles!!
    • gibbous_enceladus
    • By gibbous_enceladus 11th Jul 18, 10:21 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    gibbous_enceladus
    • 11th Jul 18, 10:21 AM
    Refreshing!
    • 11th Jul 18, 10:21 AM
    I have to say, with all the vitriol there has been surrounding Brexit, it is genuinely refreshing to see everyone can agree that the negotiations have been terrible! At last, something we can all agree on (albeit for different reasons!)
    • staggered
    • By staggered 11th Jul 18, 10:45 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    staggered
    • 11th Jul 18, 10:45 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 10:45 AM
    According to this, 90% of people who voted leave still want to leave. 98% of people who voted remain still want to remain. The large majority of people who didn't (or couldn't) vote in the last referendum want to remain.

This suggests that a second referendum would be a narrow win (53/47?) for remain.

Although the polls said much the same last time, of course ...
    • Calvinovski
    • By Calvinovski 11th Jul 18, 10:50 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Calvinovski
    • 11th Jul 18, 10:50 AM
    BureauPRATS
    • 11th Jul 18, 10:50 AM
    All of those people that are badgering the government to disclose our position in minute detail on a day to day basis are not helping the negotiation process. I am a Great British labour supporter through and through, i didn't want to leave but felt as though i had no choice in voting to leave because the European union effectively told David Cameron and us to do1. The constitution desperately needs reforming, every Tom, !!!! and Harry knows this and with or without us it is doomed to fail in its current form. Luckily for them we will be here to aid our dear neighbours and friends when this happens.
    • staggered
    • By staggered 11th Jul 18, 10:52 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    staggered
    • 11th Jul 18, 10:52 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 10:52 AM
    As a remainer, the negotiations have gone exactly how I expected them to.

I can understand why people voted to leave but, to me, they were voting with their hearts rather than their heads. The economic arguments made for leaving have been shown to be hot air - demonstrated by the fact that none of the things promised show any sign of being achieved.

When Johnson talked about the UK being "reduced to a colony" in his resignation letter, he was using language of the 19th Century for a 21st Century problem. That, for me, spoke volumes.
    • Abandoned
    • By Abandoned 11th Jul 18, 12:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Abandoned
    • 11th Jul 18, 12:16 PM
    Disgusted
    • 11th Jul 18, 12:16 PM
    The Government is in shambles, the opposition is disgraceful, the Brexiters are just fighting to line their own pockets, and are not working on behalf of the country or its businesses and people.
    EU Citizens in UK, and UK Citizens in EU are in limbo and have been used as bargaining chips by the UK. How would any of the MPīs like to live in limbo for over two years and have no idea what their future holds. We need a PeoplesVote to stop this utter mayhem.
    • csreader
    • By csreader 11th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    csreader
    • 11th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    At the moment when I looked at the results of the poll about Brexit, 11,188 people had voted, and 10,324 had said that they were dissatisfied with the negotiations. That's 92.3%! Looks to me like a very strong vote of no confidence in our Government.
    • Senseicads
    • By Senseicads 11th Jul 18, 12:54 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    Senseicads
    At the moment when I looked at the results of the poll about Brexit, 11,188 people had voted, and 10,324 had said that they were dissatisfied with the negotiations. That's 92.3%! Looks to me like a very strong vote of no confidence in our Government.
    Originally posted by csreader

Very true, but I'd also have no confidence in any of the other cretins that make up our parliament doing any better. My cynicism with respect of our politicians has massively increased since the start of the referendum. They have ALL just proved how incompetent they are. It's SO depressing that we have these people making decisions that effect our lives daily. I have no answers as to what we can do about it though.
    • Munchieboy
    • By Munchieboy 11th Jul 18, 1:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Munchieboy
    End of democracy?
    I've spent months telling people that we are leaving the eu and we just have to be patient and allow the prime minister to do what she promised in her manifesto and speeches.
    While I understand she is in a difficult position I don't understand how she can be allowed to do the opposite of what she promised. Is that even legal?
    I feel totally betrayed and have been in tears several times since the checkers proposal.
    Whether you are a bexiteer or a remainer something much more important is at stake here.
    DEMOCRACY.
    No government should be allowed to disregard the result of the referendum, after all we were told it would be the people who would decide.
    I'm terrified we are in a dictatorship.
    Everyone around me who has been telling me politicians are self serving and don't really care what their constituents need , may well be right.
    So where does this leave me? My vote was worth nothing. I'm crying again as I type this because I know there must be hundreds of thousands of people out there who feel the same. Why would we bother to vote for anything again? And if we are ignored by parliament how will we stop people thinking they have to take measures into their own hands?
    I would love to get a response from my mp Brandon Lewis.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 11th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 2,413 Thanks
    coffeehound
    EU Citizens in UK, and UK Citizens in EU are in limbo and have been used as bargaining chips by the UK.
    Originally posted by Abandoned
    Really? I was under the impression the EU has already won that point and EU nationals in the UK will continue to be protected by the European Court of Human Rights after Brexit?
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 11th Jul 18, 1:28 PM
    • 6,011 Posts
    • 2,513 Thanks
    roddydogs
    According to this, 90% of people who voted leave still want to leave. 98% of people who voted remain still want to remain. The large majority of people who didn't (or couldn't) vote in the last referendum want to remain.

This suggests that a second referendum would be a narrow win (53/47?) for remain.

Although the polls said much the same last time, of course ...
    Originally posted by staggered
    How do you know a large maj who didnt vote want to remain?
    • Munchieboy
    • By Munchieboy 11th Jul 18, 1:29 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Munchieboy
    Are these replies screened? My last one is not here!
    • pjcox2005
    • By pjcox2005 11th Jul 18, 2:06 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 595 Thanks
    pjcox2005
    How do you know a large maj who didnt vote want to remain?
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    I think thatís taken from the poll, of the 660 people who said they didnít or couldnít vote at the referendum, over 450 people (c.70%) have said theyíre unhappy to leave.
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 11th Jul 18, 8:44 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    When Cameron resigned after Brexit I expected a general election not that May would become PM. I believe the only reason she's got the job is because whilst she was home secretary at the home office, which was storing 114 files on politicians involved with sexually abusing children, they all went missing.

She's corrupt to the core, as are all conservatives, they only serve themselves and help the richest people - as proved by the fact that since they got into power there have been more billionaires created in the UK than ever before.

We have the highest number of homeless people. People on benefits who are sick and disabled are being continously denied their money and of those who go to appeal, 71% have their benefits returned. These are people who are ill, some terminally ill and this is the way this disgusting government is treating them.

I am hoping that Corbyn gets into power next, as quickly as possible, because he has promised to help these people, to help the homeless and to help everyone who needs help - like our NHS which has been so severely underfunded (even though our national insurance contributions are in surplus by billions, the gov' isn't spending the money on the NHS as they should be) and they are privatising it because that makes them all even more money. Many of the conservatives have their grubby fingers in private health companies, so they are making millions.

Anyone who thinks the EU is good to be a member of - just remember that it was the cons that took us into it, the !!!!! Ted Heath to be exact. So, of course, I'm not happy with it. We're paying billions to a bunch of corrupt crooks in the EU as well as the cons.

I just want the talks done by someone who is trustworthy and that's Corbyn.

If you want a future that's better in the UK, please vote labour next time.
    • discat11
    • By discat11 11th Jul 18, 8:56 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    discat11
    Frankly whilst any administration wants to honour the phrase 'brexit means brexit' then ANY actual exit from the EU (i.e. not having EU on our passports and not having any involvement in EU laws or decision making post March 2019) is what leavers voted for.

Whether we are still in the CU, are subject to the ECJ or any other EU legislation then or forever after is absolutely bu**er all to do with leavers/remainers or anyone else in the UK, leavers voted to give power back to the UK executive and it is precisely that executive that will decide what you get.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 12th Jul 18, 7:09 AM
    • 6,710 Posts
    • 19,592 Thanks
    Doc N
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLpWX3ukQKQ
    • sultanim
    • By sultanim 12th Jul 18, 10:04 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    sultanim
    If you couldn't be arsed to vote, then surely you should not be voicing an opinion now .... you had your chance.
    • Matthew2018
    • By Matthew2018 13th Jul 18, 4:05 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Matthew2018
    Look over the parapet at the state of the EU. You will find large divisions in many countries, including Germany, over such things as immigration. If you expand immigration to include illegal immigrants coming from Africa, then some of the Southern European countries such as Italy and Spain feel that they are getting a raw deal.

Immigration, on its own, could destroy the EU, but this isn't the only contentious issue. Even if ways to overcome any contentious issue could be found it will still tend to result in one size fits all. It doesn't really, does it? Is the deal going to work for the large countries such as Germany and the smaller ones such as Greece wiithout massive inequalities?
    However, the real destroyer of the EU is going to be the Euro. This is living on borrowed time. Again it makes some countries stronger (Germany) at the expense of others (Italy and Greece).

When these forces blow the EU will go down.

Can we stop bickering and get out as soonest with as few restrictions from the EU as possible.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,384Posts Today

8,349Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • What does resilience mean to you? For me it?s understanding my own limitations, physically and mentally? What about? https://t.co/CuuRLoQFTr

• Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• Follow Martin