MSE Poll: How do you feel now about Brexit?

Comments

• Sportacus
    Sportacus Posts: 228
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Honestly I hope we never have any more referendums again. How can the political party in power deliver on something that they have such a profound disagreement among themselves on?

I'd prefer it if the Libdems, Labour, SNP, and Greens all made it their policy to simply stay in the EU - no more talk of more referenda nor 'peoples votes'. While the Conservatives and UKIP made it their policy to leave. We can then have a straight forward general election and whoever wins can deliver accordingly.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,261
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Given that it's now clear that Vote Leave broke electoral law to get the result it got, how about now having not a second referendum, but a first referendum run without one side breaking the law to achieve its result?
  • Senseicads
    Senseicads Posts: 203
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Given these results, if the referendum was run today, do you think that Remain would win? I think even if they did that we'd be in the same situation as today, with almost half the country upset that they'd lost. This issue really really does divide the country!
  • Doc_N wrote: »
    Given that it's now clear that Vote Leave broke electoral law to get the result it got, how about now having not a second referendum, but a first referendum run without one side breaking the law to achieve its result?

I voted out in 1975, and waited 40+ years to have another chance, and I'm not the only one of 17.4 million. The rise of UKIP votes over previous years indicated people had already made their decision well before the campaign. Yes, Leave are being investigated, but they were only allowed to spend £6 million, whereas remain spent £9 million on leaflets (or should I say catalogues) plus £26 million on their campaign! That leaflet told us exactly what Leave meant and people still voted for it. More than any vote ever.

Remainers are using every excuse possible to nullify the vote and ignore the will of the majority.
  • Doc_N
    Forumite
    I voted out in 1975, and waited 40+ years to have another chance, and I'm not the only one of 17.4 million. The rise of UKIP votes over previous years indicated people had already made their decision well before the campaign. Yes, Leave are being investigated, but they were only allowed to spend £6 million, whereas remain spent £9 million on leaflets (or should I say catalogues) plus £26 million on their campaign! That leaflet told us exactly what Leave meant and people still voted for it. More than any vote ever.

Remainers are using every excuse possible to nullify the vote and ignore the will of the majority.

Or maybe we're just less likely to believe the lies pushed out by the leave campaigners - where on earth did you get the figures used above, bearing in mind this:

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/journalist/electoral-commission-media-centre/news-releases-donations/details-of-major-campaign-spending-during-eu-referendum-published-by-electoral-commission

Will of the majority indeed. Will of a tiny majority, based on a pack of lies, more than two years ago, with a major breach of electoral law by Leave!

A lot of the older people taking this backward-looking, bring back the Empire stance two years ago will have died off by now, replaced by younger forward-looking people with a little less gullibility and a lot more intelligence.

Nothing can ever be set in stone, and this can't be either. Times and views change. It needs an update, and one that isn't based on lies and a breach of electoral law. Let's have a fair contest to see what the real 'will of the people' is now that more facts are known, and now that the real motives of leading Leave campaigners have been exposed.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,053
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    A lot of the older people taking this backward-looking, bring back the Empire stance two years ago will have died off by now, replaced by younger forward-looking people with a little less gullibility and a lot more intelligence.
    Depends how you define old. A majority of those aged 55+ in every social class voted leave, a good number of whom are very unlikely to have died in the last 2 years.
    Also, a majority of men voted leave - is that because they also have died off in the last couple of years?
    https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-2016-eu-referendum
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,357
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    LHW99 wrote: »
    Depends how you define old. A majority of those aged 55+ in every social class voted leave, a good number of whom are very unlikely to have died in the last 2 years.
    Also, a majority of men voted leave - is that because they also have died off in the last couple of years?

I'd be interested to see what the voting would have been like if the remain side had said that as a result of leave; the country would be worse off so we would be looking to reduce pension spending and removing all of the above inflation protections that they currently enjoy.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Doc_N
    Forumite
    LHW99 wrote: »

The referendum vote revealed huge differences in voting intentions by age, class, education level and ethnicity – if anything, more apparent than that seen in the general election.

Younger, more middle class, more educated and BME voters chose to remain; older, working class, less educated and white voters opted to leave.

An extract from your link - pretty much says it all, really. And it's the ones paying the most taxes into the country's exchequer that tended to vote remain, while the 'takers' tended to vote leave.

Ironic, really, because by damaging the ability of the contributors to pay into the system, there's going to be a lot less for the takers to take.

Still there's always that fool Johnson's magic money tree to fund the NHS with that £350m per week, isn't there.
  • indesisiv wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see what the voting would have been like if the remain side had said that as a result of leave; the country would be worse off so we would be looking to reduce pension spending and removing all of the above inflation protections that they currently enjoy.

Yes, you would think it was self-evident that an economic Brexit shock would hit the wealth of the nation, and by extension could end up reducing pension spending wouldn't you?

Unfortunately any such logical thinking was dismissed as Project Fear.

FWIW no over-55s in this household voted to leave. We worked out which side our bread is buttered!
  • OUT - WTO, Article 24

WTO Article 24, which by the way isn't a "little known clause" as stated by some news papers. It gives the UK & the EU 10 years ON THE SAME TARIFF'S to negotiate a new trade deal.

So OUT OUT OUT from me
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport