Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • johnMoneySaver
    • By johnMoneySaver 10th Jul 18, 10:28 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Helping on process for building an Extension
    • #1
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:28 AM
    Helping on process for building an Extension 10th Jul 18 at 10:28 AM
    Hi all,
    Would love to get some useful help on how to go about finalizing an extension I am doing on my flat as it's the first time I have ever done any kind of building work. Specifically the final steps now I have planning and building control approval.

    I am doing a roof extension by building a room onto my Terrace of my top floor flat. I have share of freehold between myself and 3 others in the lower floor flats. I've just received the final approval (i think) of building control approval. So hoping there are just 2 more things to consider.. Can anyone help as to how I go about doing these (e.g. template letters, etc)

    1. Share of Freeholder agreements: I've been told that I need to get consent from the other freeholders that I am doing the extension. I'm not sure if all I need to do is write a letter or there's more to it then that? And if so what as I can't seem to find anything online about the process?
    2. Party Wall Agreements: The flat below me and (as it's a terrace) the 2 buildings next door need to get a party wall agreement. Is this a letter first and then speaking to them to arrange a surveyor to go round to both of their places (all paid by me obviously)?
    3. I am not planning to start the work until Feb/March 2019. So it's about 6-8 months away, is it too early to start sorting this out now or should I wait until closer to the time?
    4. Is there anything else I have to do on top of [Planning approval + Building Control approval + Share of Freeholder Agreements + Party wall agreements] - Once these are done I can basically start the work with the builder I have chosen?

Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 11th Jul 18, 3:44 AM
    • 3,622 Posts
    • 2,539 Thanks
    • #2
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:44 AM
    • #2
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:44 AM
    Your lease almost certainly does not allow you to build on the terrace (check that) in which case you will not only need permission to build from the other freeholders but also a variation in your lease to extend the demised area to include the extension.
    If this extension will add value to your flat do not be surprised if £signs start to flash in front of their eyes.
    They may also be concerned about any additional building insurance premium, external repair costs etc.
    I think it would be a good idea to employ a solicitor to deal with the lease variation, even if your other freeholders seem accommodating. Otherwise when you come to sell you may find yourself in the very sticky situation that you do not have proper title to the extension.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,622Posts Today

8,837Users online

Martin's Twitter