Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JPoultz
    • By JPoultz 9th Jul 18, 10:18 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JPoultz
    DCBL: Notice of Debt Recovery
    • 9th Jul 18, 10:18 PM
    DCBL: Notice of Debt Recovery 9th Jul 18 at 10:18 PM
    Around a year ago I received a car parking ticket from a private company for overstaying in a supermarket car park.

I have been ignoring the letters that have been coming through the post as the cost of the fine kept on rising. I have now received a letter from DCBL which reads:

"Your overdue amount of 185 due to vehicle control services Ltd in relation to County Court judgement number _______ has now been passed to DCBL to recover the debt on their behalf. A further 75 +VAT administration and recovery fee has now been accrued therefore the total amount now due is 275.

To ensure no further action will take place please make immediate payment by one of the following methods: phone our 24-hour payment line using reference number ______ or by postal order/cheque

Failure to address within 14 days of the date of this letter will result in your case is being reviewed for legal recovery and such costs being added to the debt for recovery"

P.S Before this letter i did receive a letter which appeared to be from a county court warning me to pay

Do you have any advice on how to act on this? i am becoming increasingly concerned with the threats that keep escalating from overstaying in a car park for a matter of minutes!! Any advice at all is greatly appreciated!
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Jul 18, 11:41 PM
    • 15,247 Posts
    • 14,347 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:41 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:41 PM
    Hi,

We move posts if we think they will get more help elsewhere.

Your post has been moved to the appropriate forum.

Thanks
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • waamo
    • By waamo 9th Jul 18, 11:53 PM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 5,496 Thanks
    waamo
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:53 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:53 PM
    Around a year ago I received a car parking ticket from a private company for overstaying in a supermarket car park.

I have been ignoring the letters that have been coming through the post as the cost of the fine kept on rising. I have now received a letter from DCBL which reads:

"Your overdue amount of 185 due to vehicle control services Ltd in relation to County Court judgement number _______ has now been passed to DCBL to recover the debt on their behalf. A further 75 +VAT administration and recovery fee has now been accrued therefore the total amount now due is 275.

To ensure no further action will take place please make immediate payment by one of the following methods: phone our 24-hour payment line using reference number ______ or by postal order/cheque

Failure to address within 14 days of the date of this letter will result in your case is being reviewed for legal recovery and such costs being added to the debt for recovery"

P.S Before this letter i did receive a letter which appeared to be from a county court warning me to pay

Do you have any advice on how to act on this? i am becoming increasingly concerned with the threats that keep escalating from overstaying in a car park for a matter of minutes!! Any advice at all is greatly appreciated!
    Originally posted by JPoultz
    What EXACTLY have you had? This sounds like you've been taken to court and had a default judgment made against you.

It also sounds like you are about to appear in an episode of "Can't pay".
    This space for hire.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 9th Jul 18, 11:56 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 2,243 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:56 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 11:56 PM
    as I mentioned to the op previously 185 seems low for a county court claim

tv only happens 600 + , and as its "tv" and fixed , you get a 500 appearance fee , yup that bit is true
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Jul 18, 12:06 AM
    • 61,486 Posts
    • 74,374 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 10th Jul 18, 12:06 AM
    Hi,

We move posts if we think they will get more help elsewhere.

Your post has been moved to the appropriate forum.

Thanks
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Thankyou sourcrates; we can assist this poster with what is in fact, a scam 'debt' quite unlike a normal one. Unfortunately it sounds like a CCJ to set aside (which as you know is easier v a parking firm, than against a 'real' creditor).

Or maybe DCBL have sent the wrong letter, which has been known.

PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Jul 18, 12:06 AM
    • 37,266 Posts
    • 21,423 Thanks
    Quentin
    The judgement creditor doesn't look to have got an enforcement order (the wording of the letter is that may follow - though what was the letter you got from court "warning" you to pay??)

If there has not been an enforcement order, this can be ignored, but bear in mind the creditor can take enforcement proceedings at any time (all at your expense) - eg bailiffs/attachment of earnings etc.

So if you intend to fight this by way of a set aside application you need to get on with it - a set aside must be done quickly once you are aware of the CCJ against you
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Jul 18, 12:14 AM
    • 61,486 Posts
    • 74,374 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 10th Jul 18, 12:14 AM
    • 10th Jul 18, 12:14 AM
    He can check if he has an actual CCJ using Trust Online, as a first step.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• JPoultz
    • By JPoultz 12th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JPoultz
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    Hi Guys

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have been in contact with the county court that issued the CCJ - whom confirmed this is a legit case and a CCJ is now by my name. The county court also advised that I responded to the bailiffs immediately as the fine was about to rise AGAIN.

I then contacted the DCBL who then also advised I pay with the charge set to rise. It appeared I was fighting a losing battle so I agreed to the monthly payment plan DCBL offered.

I have made one payment of 50 for the charge so far - and will continue to pay month by month until the charge is paid in full and the CCJ is removed from my name. Is there any other advice that may be useful to shorten this charge from these absolute scumbags!!!!?

Kind Regards
    • waamo
    • By waamo 12th Jul 18, 4:58 PM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 5,496 Thanks
    waamo
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:58 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:58 PM
    Unless paid in full within 28 days of the judgement you are stuck with a ccj for 6 years.

It would seem you have conspired to shoot yourself in the foot at every possible opportunity. Not much you can do about it now.

Warn everyone you know not to ignore parking tickets. This is what can happen if you do. If anyone needs advice on beating them then they should come here and we will help.
    This space for hire.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jul 18, 6:18 PM
    • 37,266 Posts
    • 21,423 Thanks
    Quentin
    If your objective was to get the ccj removed then you have been misled into thinking paying it off on the drip will achieve this.

The only way to get it removed is to apply for a set aside as you have been advised
    • JPoultz
    • By JPoultz 12th Jul 18, 6:21 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JPoultz
    How do i go about doing this?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jul 18, 6:25 PM
    • 37,266 Posts
    • 21,423 Thanks
    Quentin
    See the newbies FAQ thread. #2 there covers court claims including the process of applying for a set aside
    • waamo
    • By waamo 12th Jul 18, 6:33 PM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 5,496 Thanks
    waamo
    Tbh I suspect the odds of getting a set aside are slim indeed if the reason for the default ccj is ignoring all the paperwork.

If the ppc will agree to a set aside you stand a far greater (but far from guaranteed chance) of getting one. The cost for a contested set aside is 255. With consent it falls to 100.

You will almost certainly have to pay what the ppc wants.

I would certainly take a punt on asking them. If they ignore you or refuse frankly I don't rate your chances.
    This space for hire.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Jul 18, 12:25 AM
    • 61,486 Posts
    • 74,374 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I have been in contact with the county court that issued the CCJ - whom confirmed this is a legit case and a CCJ is now by my name. The county court also advised that I responded to the bailiffs immediately as the fine was about to rise AGAIN.

I then contacted the DCBL who then also advised I pay with the charge set to rise. It appeared I was fighting a losing battle so I agreed to the monthly payment plan DCBL offered.

I have made one payment of 50 for the charge so far - and will continue to pay month by month until the charge is paid in full and the CCJ is removed from my name. Is there any other advice that may be useful to shorten this charge from these absolute scumbags!!!!?
    Originally posted by JPoultz
    None of the above was in the advice here. NO-ONE RINGS DCBL. Why the heck did you do that?

Now you will have no case to set the CCJ aside 'without consent' at a hearing, because you've agreed to pay.

AND to add insult to injury you will now have a CCJ on you record ruining your credit, for SIX YEARS.

Which would have been wiped completely, had you successfully applied to get it set aside, instead.

We knew it was a real CCJ and we pointed you to read about set asides in posts #5 and #6 above, where Quentin explained you have to act quickly (NOT 'oh let's ignore all that, let's phone DCBL up, get lied to, then be bullied/talked into believing the only option is a payment plan').

Unbelievable to come here, then do something completely different.

IMHO, your only hope to save your credit rating (if it matters to you) now, is to contact the PPC scum and beg for a set aside with consent (costs you 100 court fee) and agree to pay their sum in full as well.

And everything about set asides (with or without consent) is in the NEWBIES thread, up there in the sticky thread at the top of this forum, for newbies to read first.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 13-07-2018 at 12:35 AM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

2,002Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin