Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Stephen B
    • By MSE Stephen B 6th Jul 18, 4:32 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 7Thanks
    MSE Stephen B
    MSE News: The top mobile providers revealed - where cheaper can mean better
    • 6th Jul 18, 4:32 PM
    MSE News: The top mobile providers revealed - where cheaper can mean better 6th Jul 18 at 4:32 PM
    Smaller - and cheaper - networks have come out on top in MoneySavingExpert's mobile provider poll...
    Read the full story:
    'The top mobile providers revealed - where cheaper can mean better'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 6th Jul 18, 6:27 PM
    • 3,654 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    glider3560
    • 6th Jul 18, 6:27 PM
    I think the "coverage" section shows how rubbish the survey is. All the virtual networks should get the same coverage rating as their host network, surely?

• ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 6th Jul 18, 6:27 PM
    • 2,537 Posts
    • 2,509 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Switching to Giffgaff from O2 could save £132/yr on a 3G plan with no contract.
    How was this random figure calculated? Comparing SIM only with O2 and GIffgaff "goodybags" shows the following:

Giffgaff's cheapest goodybag is £5 p/m (£60 p.a.) for 100MB, 150 min and 500 texts. O2's cheapest SIM only deal is £11 p/m (£132 p.a.) for 250MB, 500 min and 500 texts. While Giffgaff is £72 cheaper, it also offers less.

Giffgaff's next cheapest goodybag is £7.50 p/m (£90 p.a.) for 1GB data, 250 min and unlimited texts. The aforementioned O2 deal offers double the minutes, but much less data and fewer texts. The price difference is £42 p.a. Alternatively, their next cheapest SIM costs £13 p/m (£156 p.a.) and offers 2GB data, unlimited minutes and unlimited texts. This, obviously offers a lot more than the Giffgaff deal, and the price difference is £66 p.a.

Giffgaff's next cheapest goodybag is £10 p/m (£120 p.a.) for 3GB data, unlimited minutes and unlimited texts. The £13 p/m (£156 p.a.) O2 deal is clearly more expensive for a similar(ish) offering, but the price difference is still only £36 p.a.

The next cheapest Giffgaff goodybag is £12 (£144 p.a.) for 4GB data, unlimited minutes and unlimited texts. O2 have their £13 deal (£156 p.a.), which offers 1GB less per month and the price difference is only £12 p.a. Alternatively they offer a £15 p/m (£180 p.a.) deal giving 5GB data, unlimited minutes and unlimited texts, so the price difference is £36 p.a.

The £15 (£180 p.a.) Giffgaff goodybag offers 6GB data, unlimited minutes and unlimited texts. O2's £15 (£180 p.a.) deal offers 1GB less for the same price. The next available SIM only deal from O2 is for 12GB (double the data), unlimited minutes and unlimited texts, and so isn't even vaguely comparable. It costs £18 p/m (£216 p.a.).

Giffgaff have an £18 p/m (£216 p.a.) goodybag next in their line-up. It offers 9GB data, unlimited minutes and unlimited texts, so it is, actualy a better deal than Giffgaff offer, with their £18 offer giving you only 75% of the data that O2 give for the same price.

Giffgaff's most expensive goodybag is £20 p/m (£240 p.a.) and offers unlimited data between 8.00am and midnight, i.e. 16 hours a day - but with a heavily throttled connection once you get to 9GB - unlimited minutes and unlimited texts. For the same price, O2 offer 18GB of unthrottled data, unlimited minutes and unlimited texts.

None of these different deals seems to come to a £132 price advantage with O2. Once again, MSE's lazy (make it up as you go along) journalism spreads untruths. When will they stop and actually check these things, and then report real figures? The statement is blatantly nonsense, as it doesn't give any information about what is actually being compared.

FWIW, I actually like what Giffgaff offer on many of their goodybags, but there are better deals available for some people, including with O2.

Sort your sloppy journalism out MSE.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 6th Jul 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 6th Jul 18, 6:56 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 6:56 PM
    I think the "coverage" section shows how rubbish the survey is. All the virtual networks should get the same coverage rating as their host network, surely?
    Originally posted by glider3560
    No, I'm afraid not.
    Each virtual network gets the coverage it pays for by buying use of the various frequencies ranges that the network operates. They may not be able to buy access to all of the frequencies as the network operator may want to keep some frequencies for itself.
    Plusnet Mobile uses EE but does not have access to the 800MHz range. BT Mobile do though but then again BT plc own all 3 brands (BT, Plusnet , EE).
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 6th Jul 18, 7:08 PM
    • 2,537 Posts
    • 2,509 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:08 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:08 PM
    No, I'm afraid not.
    Each virtual network gets the coverage it pays for by buying use of the various frequencies ranges that the network operates. They may not be able to buy access to all of the frequencies as the network operator may want to keep some frequencies for itself.
    Plusnet Mobile uses EE but does not have access to the 800MHz range. BT Mobile do though but then again BT plc own all 3 brands (BT, Plusnet , EE).
    Originally posted by gsmlnx
    Except the survey suggests that people are getting better coverage on MVNOs, as opposed to the networks, which is clearly drivel. Some examples for network coverage being, "great" (however you quantify that!):

Giffgaff = 53%, but O2 = 33%
    Tesco = 49%, but O2 = 33%
    PlusNet = 39%, but EE = 35%

The survey is garbage.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 6th Jul 18, 7:58 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:58 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 7:58 PM
    @Valiantson
    I agree as most of these surveys are useless. You cannot trust this survey as the participants are self selecting.

All this coverage surveying can be measured independently of the consumer but costs a lot of money to do properly. So it doesn't happen.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 6th Jul 18, 8:10 PM
    • 2,537 Posts
    • 2,509 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:10 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:10 PM
    @Valiantson
    I agree as most of these surveys are useless. You cannot trust this survey as the participants are self selecting.

All this coverage surveying can be measured independently of the consumer but costs a lot of money to do properly. So it doesn't happen.
    Originally posted by gsmlnx
    Agreed. MSE's surveys are simply designed to generate copy for the website. The content of that copy is almost always garbage.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 6th Jul 18, 9:23 PM
    • 9,013 Posts
    • 6,741 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:23 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:23 PM
    Agreed. MSE's surveys are simply designed to generate copy for the website. The content of that copy is almost always garbage.
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    MSE hopes that they won' t just provide copy for this website, the story will have been released to other media, They all report each others surveys in the hope it will generate web traffic.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 6th Jul 18, 9:38 PM
    • 2,537 Posts
    • 2,509 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:38 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:38 PM
    MSE hopes that they won' t just provide copy for this website, the story will have been released to other media, They all report each others surveys in the hope it will generate web traffic.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    I know. Depressing, isn't it?
    • sully1311
    • By sully1311 6th Jul 18, 10:45 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    sully1311
    Originally posted by glider3560
    o2 and vodafone mvno's yes, ee or three's no
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 7th Jul 18, 7:57 AM
    • 2,732 Posts
    • 1,358 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    It's based on a poll on here from an average of just 660 per carrier, of course it's going to be nonsense. MSE should set a (higher) minimum number of inputs before posting these surveys and if they don't reach it just junk the "data".
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 7th Jul 18, 9:23 AM
    • 9,013 Posts
    • 6,741 Thanks
    pmduk
    We're approaching the news "silly season", expect things to get worse.
    • redux
    • By redux 7th Jul 18, 9:47 AM
    • 18,469 Posts
    • 24,636 Thanks
    redux
    Apart from the nonsense of the subjective network results, I can't see how any survey of customer service can be fully accurate, when the most perfect operation results in not needing customer service at all.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 7th Jul 18, 10:03 AM
    • 1,627 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Picking a mobile phone contract can be tricky if you want "everything". A good comparison for price and features is Three on SIM only.

For example, a few days ago an EE shop was advertising a special offer on an "A board" outside the shop for a "data only" SIM of 20 GB for £20 per month... Three have a SIM with 30 GB of data (all of which you can tether with) plus unlimited calls/texts... all for the same price as the EE special offer!

The survey makes no mention of contract terms and conditions. Many offer no "out of bundle" spending caps. Does data stop when you reach your monthly limit? Can you set a £5 overspend on call/text charges? Don't accept the word of a sales person, read the contract carefully yourself.

Follow the ABC rule, accept nothing, believe no one, check everything.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 7th Jul 18, 10:18 AM
    • 2,537 Posts
    • 2,509 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    o2 and vodafone mvno's yes, ee or three's no
    Originally posted by sully1311
    Perhaps you missed the bit where I quoted an EE MVNO as scoring more highly than their own network:

PlusNet = 39%, but EE = 35%
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 7th Jul 18, 11:12 AM
    • 2,732 Posts
    • 1,358 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Perhaps you missed the bit where I quoted an EE MVNO as scoring more highly than their own network:
    I think they're saying that EE customers (with certain handsets) should have better coverage due to the low frequency access. Do Three have similar?
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 7th Jul 18, 11:33 AM
    • 2,537 Posts
    • 2,509 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    I think they're saying that EE customers (with certain handsets) should have better coverage due to the low frequency access. Do Three have similar?
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    I'm not sure that was their point. If it was then it was extremely poorly expressed.
    Last edited by ValiantSon; 07-07-2018 at 3:30 PM. Reason: Typo
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 7th Jul 18, 3:09 PM
    • 1,627 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Three have (or appear to have) better 4G/data on newer handsets with additional frequency bands. I'm not sure about their MNVOs.

No doubt the survey takes handsets into account
    • problemcashback
    • By problemcashback 7th Jul 18, 3:56 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    problemcashback
    One of the biggest issues with this survey is GG customers loyalty, you just have to look at their forums to see it. Their speeds are less than 3Mbps 3 not 33 but three. In a discussion with their Managing Director last year he said they were in it to make money for o2 to invest in the network hen asked where they going to improve speeds he said no. When question why so many customer had left he said we are trying to entice more customers to make money for o2. Forget the customer who they have or have left we simply donít care was the message that came across. Out of all the comments majority was praising GG how on earth can that happen. Loyalty is the only answer. Just before that we had about 20 sim with them with friends and family the crux was when I did a speed test with a colleague and saw the difference, now we donít have one sim with GG.
    • Ezorqs
    • By Ezorqs 7th Jul 18, 5:20 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Ezorqs
    It's worth noting that this came from a questionnaire and not from an objective study. "What people say" in other words.

Users of Giffgaff are usually on Giffgaff for a reason less money around, on pay as you go. This means that they likely do not travel very far, probably don't use mobile internet that much and primarily live in areas with strong O2 signal.

Those on O2, more likely have more money and need more "goodies" such as more minutes/texts/data. This will also mean that they are more likely to travel, have a higher demand on data and are more likely to encounter areas that do not have a strong O2 signal. Hence it'll be lower reported coverage than Giffgaff.

There's been a few of these questionnaires lately and they're all rather dodgy. Trying to use these surveys to state facts as above is very bad journalism.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

108Posts Today

1,253Users online

Martin's Twitter