Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 6th Jul 18, 2:05 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 17Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    Retrospective Right to buy discount
    • 6th Jul 18, 2:05 PM
    Retrospective Right to buy discount 6th Jul 18 at 2:05 PM
    Bit of a unanswerable question maybe but maybe someone has an idea.
    Currently the bill passed in 2016 giving Housing association tennents the same right to buy rights/discount as Council Tennents. But still I cant do it. As they seem to have no idea to implement the process or when its even going to happen after having a failed 1 year trial period theyre having another one. so at Earliest 2019..............
    Since all that is available at present is The Right to Acquire which is basically the same thing but a much smaller discount.
    Right to Acquire Discount 9000
    Right to Buy Discount 40,000

If its law since 2016 would there be grounds for a future refund of what i should be legally entitled to now as i don't think I can afford to wait any longer(or for a possible 2019) as ive actually been waiting since 2015, followed the bill through and it passed in 2016 and been waiting since
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 6th Jul 18, 2:27 PM
    • 4,860 Posts
    • 7,221 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 6th Jul 18, 2:27 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 2:27 PM
    There is absolutely nothing stopping you from buying on the open market. It won't be backdated. If you can't wait any longer buy on the open market and leave your housing association property for someone who hasn't got anywhere to live and can't afford to buy anything.
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 6th Jul 18, 3:24 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    • 6th Jul 18, 3:24 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 3:24 PM
    Granted, I could buy on the open market but I dont want to. I want to buy my place ive lived in for the past 11 years, im too ill for the uprooting. However i was being quite factual. Im 2015 the main con manifesto was Right to Buy for Housing Tenants. I followed the Bill through Parliament, it became law in 2016 but yet some people in some areas are lucky enough to get it yet in our area we cant. Theyre on their 2nd year trial period now and have no idea how to implement it or when they will. But the Bill states we should.......
    There is a huge difference between right to acquire discount and right to buy discount. Im entitled to both by Law but can only get One....................??? Explain that?????? And I never mentioned once about open market otherwise i would have said, this is clearly about Housing Tenant purchase so werent you just tyoing for no reason
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 6th Jul 18, 3:26 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 4,766 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    • 6th Jul 18, 3:26 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 3:26 PM
    would there be grounds for a future refund of what i should be legally entitled to now as i don't think I can afford to wait any longer(or for a possible 2019) as ive actually been waiting since 2015, followed the bill through and it passed in 2016 and been waiting since
    Originally posted by WasntMeHonest
    Oh the entitlement! You are legally entitled to go and buy a house of your choosing on the open market anywhere you like. Unfortunately, you are also entitled to buy your Housing Association property; taking the 9k discount offered with gratitude.

Poor love, having to wait all this time for a bigger freebie. My heart aches for you.
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 6th Jul 18, 3:32 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    • 6th Jul 18, 3:32 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 3:32 PM
    Already, Instantly I can see this turning into , Leave it for someone who deserves it, who hasnt got anywhere to live, cant afford to buy anything. etc Why do you think i got it in the 1st place? Because I was ill. My parents died from cancer, mum the most recent. I used the inheritance to do what i promised her to make myself secure as I am also ill. If you have a moral issue with that then fill your boots thats your problem. Take it up with the loons who govern us and decide all this and when they do cant even implement due to farce and imcompitence.Im only trying to buy with what im entitled too.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 6th Jul 18, 3:37 PM
    • 12,919 Posts
    • 18,573 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 6th Jul 18, 3:37 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 3:37 PM
    Didn't the bill introduce voluntary right to buy for housing association tenants rather than a statutory right to buy which is what was introduced in 1980 for council tenants?

The autumn 2016 budget announced that a pilot scheme would take place and then the autumn 2017 budget announced the pilot would be in the Midlands.

Which law, please quote the exact wording verbatim, makes you think you have the right to buy now?
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 6th Jul 18, 3:38 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    • 6th Jul 18, 3:38 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 3:38 PM
    Your heart can ache all it wants , thats your moral opinion. Facts are facts . If you disagree with the Right to Buy and how it works then that is up to you. If you dont agree that I am only doing what I am entitled to do , then also. That is your preference. But i am entitled to this as have people since decades ago, only the scam of privatisation and private companys now running these services is where it lies. Not me but Hey if you want to judge me fill your boots. I couldnt politely give a monkeys you views. im only after facts. Anyway. Must dash for now, The Footies on
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 6th Jul 18, 3:49 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    • 6th Jul 18, 3:49 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 3:49 PM
    The pilot initial pilot scheme took place which lasted a year in 5 pre determined regions. It was a massive failure with a terrible uptake to what they were expecting, so much so they have now introduced a 2nd trial period and Yes you a correct it is in another pre determined area, which i also followed to the point it was determined it would be in the Midlands. this will take us into 2019 even though the bill was passed back in 2016. I followed the whole process since 2015-2016 , the ping pong between the houses then the final bill being passed by the queen. Am i missing something here.................. Surely if in 2016 i had the entitlement to right to buy and right to buy discounts that still stands. At the end of the its not my fault that the governments lack of ability to do things right and miserably fail as they constantly do on most other things aswell and get it rolled out nationwide surely? If people dont agreee i buy thats up to them, but thats not what this post is about.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 6th Jul 18, 3:53 PM
    • 4,860 Posts
    • 7,221 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 6th Jul 18, 3:53 PM
    • 6th Jul 18, 3:53 PM
    Already, Instantly I can see this turning into , Leave it for someone who deserves it, who hasnt got anywhere to live, cant afford to buy anything. etc Why do you think i got it in the 1st place? Because I was ill. My parents died from cancer, mum the most recent. I used the inheritance to do what i promised her to make myself secure as I am also ill. If you have a moral issue with that then fill your boots thats your problem. Take it up with the loons who govern us and decide all this and when they do cant even implement due to farce and imcompitence.Im only trying to buy with what im entitled too.

Now that I don't understand. You are more secure renting from a housing association than you will ever be if you buy it. People who own houses and flats are responsible for all the maintainance. If you live in a flat you not only have to pay the service charge but you also have to pay for maintainance to the building and that can mean bills running into 1000s. As a tenant you don't have to pay any of this. If you run out of money for the service charge or the maintainance what are you going to do?
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 6th Jul 18, 3:54 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    Oh by the way.
    When enquired the Housing Association say I Can, buy it at the minute with the Right to Acquire. So if its voluntary like you say and are correct. They can sell it Right to buy way aswell. If not now refund what i should have got because they dont know there !!!! from elbow and cant even get it off the ground in the first place. Even read about it possibly not ever going nationwide. I have been researching this best i can guys as i think anyone would. I even went as far as spending plans in the budget for 2016-2019/20
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Jul 18, 3:57 PM
    • 3,908 Posts
    • 7,150 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I think Pixie has answered your question. Either something is law or it is not. In the case of HA properties it would seem, so far, they are not included in the RTB scheme.

Your options therefore are to wait and see if the law changes so they are included, take the lower discount and be glad of it or buy on the open market. Unfortunately, you do not have the choice to cite as law something which has yet to become so. Oh, the laws I would make if I could!
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 6th Jul 18, 4:01 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    1 its a bungalow in a normal road, 2. no maintainance charge or anything like that. its an oldskool well built bungalow, ex council transfered to Housing association ages ago. Whos to say i dont have savings? Come on give me credit, dont you think i know all that. I think i previously stated i had to sell my own property due to giving up work for my own ill health. Hence why i got this im in now. Would you like my life story. My illness, how i was in a coma, life support etc etc. Or are you just assuming it was one of these Sheltered housing or flats or attended care places. Surely if you seem pretty knowledge able youd know other not all housing association property are the same and dont have these things
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 6th Jul 18, 4:02 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    Does the bill not passed in 2016 giving me these rights stand for nothing then?? as i initially said it was about views of a possible discount refund when they finally pull their finger out
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 6th Jul 18, 4:09 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    Ive never once mentioned i was ungrateful for any of these schemes, thats yous lot implying that. Like i said in my 2nd post, I somehow knew it would decend into stuff like that. Its only my 2nd topic on here after getting great advice and success following a private parking company ticket, but yet seen loads of this in where ive read dozens of posts and topics all week. It has absolutely no relevance if peoples Heart Ache or If i should be greatful or not. What has any of your personal views got to do with anything.... lolol It will be the grammer and punktchooation police next lol
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 6th Jul 18, 4:11 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    diggingdude
    I don't see the problem, buy through right to acquire, say thank you to the tax payer, then get on with it. No need for any backdated money as you are not entitled to it
    House Deposit - Target 20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - 10225 13121.22 14621.22 16021 17296
    • takman
    • By takman 6th Jul 18, 4:13 PM
    • 3,648 Posts
    • 3,276 Thanks
    takman
    1 its a bungalow in a normal road, 2. no maintainance charge or anything like that. its an oldskool well built bungalow, ex council transfered to Housing association ages ago. Whos to say i dont have savings? Come on give me credit, dont you think i know all that. I think i previously stated i had to sell my own property due to giving up work for my own ill health. Hence why i got this im in now. Would you like my life story. My illness, how i was in a coma, life support etc etc. Or are you just assuming it was one of these Sheltered housing or flats or attended care places. Surely if you seem pretty knowledge able youd know other not all housing association property are the same and dont have these things
    There may not be a maintenance charge on the bungalow but there will be maintenance that needs to be done over the years that you will need to pay for out of your own pocket.
    You say you had to give up work but are you planning to work again?. If not then every time you need to do some maintenance your savings will run lower and lower then eventually run out.

This may not be the case but we can only go by the information you provide and it's important you understand this before buying the place if security is all your after.

Does the bill not passed in 2016 giving me these rights stand for nothing then?? as i initially said it was about views of a possible discount refund when they finally pull their finger out
    Maybe you should do some research and find out exactly what rights you have before assuming.
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 6th Jul 18, 4:18 PM
    • 5,434 Posts
    • 7,488 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    OP, what do you mean, you can't 'afford' to wait any longer?
    • WasntMeHonest
    • By WasntMeHonest 6th Jul 18, 4:22 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    WasntMeHonest
    smodlet
    Yes i hear you , and thats where im at. Possible wait for something they might not do for years if ever. Thats why i came on here an posted. Could someone please explain to me where i seen to be wrong regarding Law/Bill
    2015 Late manifesto pledge for this
    Election Won
    Bill started
    2016 Bill finally passed and stamped by the queen

Just what is this then?? Doesnt it give me the rights in this bill ?
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Jul 18, 4:32 PM
    • 3,908 Posts
    • 7,150 Thanks
    Smodlet
    https://righttobuy.gov.uk/am-i-eligible/housing-association-tenants/

Which, the way I read it, is exactly what Pixie said. I think it is one thing for a law to be passed (and find no evidence it has been as yet) and another for it to appear on the statute books, which can take years and conceivably never happen. I am neither a lawyer nor a politician so have only the authority of Google.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 6th Jul 18, 4:33 PM
    • 4,860 Posts
    • 7,221 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    It may turn out that you can't buy the bungalow. Some properties that are adapted for people who can't live in a normal property can't be bought. You won't know until you fill up the form to buy it and they tell you whether you can or not. Anyone at the housing association won't know which particular property you live in so the advice they give may be general rather than specific about certain properties. Even if you had right to buy there is no guarantee that you would be able to buy that particular properties as some properties are not included.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,270Posts Today

7,005Users online

Martin's Twitter