Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • restless6
    • By restless6 6th Jul 18, 8:21 AM
    • 420Posts
    • 356Thanks
    restless6
    Help with washing machine plumbing
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:21 AM
    Help with washing machine plumbing 6th Jul 18 at 8:21 AM
    https://ibb.co/ebcbwdHi
    I need to plumb my washing machine in to a new house but it looks like it only has a hot water fill
    Is it possible to only use that ?

I have a photo but don!!!8217;t know how to post it
    Last edited by restless6; 06-07-2018 at 8:24 AM.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 6th Jul 18, 8:25 AM
    • 33,547 Posts
    • 39,646 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:25 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:25 AM
    Are you 100% sure it's hot feed and not just got a red isolator valve on it ?

Single feeds are normally cold water .
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • restless6
    • By restless6 6th Jul 18, 8:26 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    restless6
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:26 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:26 AM
    I don!!!8217;t know ? How would I find out
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 6th Jul 18, 8:27 AM
    • 33,547 Posts
    • 39,646 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:27 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:27 AM
    If not you can buy these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/self-cutting-tap-15mm-x-/21250?tc=CA6&ds_kid=92700020953274081&ds_rl=124979 9&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249481&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpvzZBR CbARIsACe8vyITUP5Nm85eaJx6BUgFIWRF_Ha5r2aGslcOF9oN w7UGPkOZPC0CDq0aAkEtEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CI Dmw6L5idwCFQ9j0wodT1UKaQ

Which are easy to fit yourself , just clamp round cold pipe and tighten
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 6th Jul 18, 8:29 AM
    • 2,450 Posts
    • 2,418 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:29 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:29 AM
    Looks like the other fill pipe 12" to the left!
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 6th Jul 18, 8:30 AM
    • 3,065 Posts
    • 2,014 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:30 AM
    Most machines these days are cold fill - but does it matter if you use a hot fill ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • restless6
    • By restless6 6th Jul 18, 8:30 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    restless6
    https://ibb.co/mnRuXJ

This is under the sink too - no idea what it is
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 6th Jul 18, 8:33 AM
    • 33,547 Posts
    • 39,646 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:33 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 8:33 AM
    Looking at the pictures , it's a mess of pipe's there by the way, is the other pipe on the left of the first picture with a screw isolation possible cold ?

Can you follow the pipework from the stopcock in picture 1 to either connector

Not sure what that is in picture 2 under the sink
    Last edited by Browntoa; 06-07-2018 at 8:35 AM.
    • restless6
    • By restless6 6th Jul 18, 9:15 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    restless6
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:15 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 9:15 AM
    I thought it might be the cold yes - but the screw top is smaller and my pipe does not fit onto it
    • restless6
    • By restless6 6th Jul 18, 9:56 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    restless6
    So the green tap switches the water on and off for the sink
    The washing machine connector is too big for the pipe leading off it - what can I do ?
    • ian103
    • By ian103 6th Jul 18, 10:09 AM
    • 858 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    ian103
    https://ibb.co/mnRuXJ

This is under the sink too - no idea what it is
    Originally posted by restless6

This?
    http://www.johnsonvalves.co.uk/water-meters/water-meters-domestic-commercial/
    • macman
    • By macman 6th Jul 18, 1:55 PM
    • 42,669 Posts
    • 17,946 Thanks
    macman
    How about turning the red isolator on, and seeing if the water runs hot or cold?
    If you connect a cold fill machine to a hot supply, then it'll use hot water for all the cycles that are intended to be cold, such as pre-wash, rinse, etc. And cool wash programs (30C etc) will become hot.
    Your hot water usage will increase, along with the cost of producing it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • restless6
    • By restless6 6th Jul 18, 2:10 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    restless6
    Yes it!!!8217;s definitely hot water supply as I heard the boiler fire up when the machine started
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 6th Jul 18, 2:43 PM
    • 3,459 Posts
    • 9,001 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    OP, you probably got your answer in post 5.

Looks like the other fill pipe 12" to the left!
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    He/she refers to the vertical pipe and service valve at the top left of your photo.

Fit the washing machine hose to that and use a screwdriver to turn the tap 90 degrees clockwise or anti clockwise so the slot is in line with the pipe.

Turn it slowly in case it leaks and be ready to turn it back to the off (at 90 degrees to pipe)) position if anything leaks.

If that results in cold water being supplied to your washing machine you can then fit a short length of pipe plus a blue coloured washing machine tap.
    Every Village has its Idiot.

If you don't know who your Village Idiot is

it is probably you.
    • Rodders53
    • By Rodders53 6th Jul 18, 2:49 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    Rodders53
    Assuming the left-hand isolating valve is connected to the cold water feed (stopcock pipework).

First turn of the water at the stopcock and release pressure by turning on the cold tap. Then,

Use one of these https://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-washing-machine-valve-15mm-x/25555

To replace the isolating valve https://www.screwfix.com/p/isolating-valve-15mm-2-pack/65251 missing it's olive and nut.

You can probably leave the existing nut and olive on the pipe if it doesn't come off easily. It will fit on the washing machine isolator input and probably seal OK if undamaged.

NB There are many other places to buy plumbing bits from Screwfix is not being recommended by me linking to their catalogue of parts.

OR

Call a plumber to sort out that mess of pipework properly!
    Last edited by Rodders53; 06-07-2018 at 2:50 PM. Reason: isolate and release pressure sentence
    • restless6
    • By restless6 6th Jul 18, 3:10 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    restless6
    I can!!!8217;t change the pipework as it!!!8217;s a rented house
    • restless6
    • By restless6 6th Jul 18, 3:15 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    restless6
    I turned the green tap and it is the cold water as it stopped water coming out the kitchen tap when I turned it .
    The screw above it where I think the cold water inlet for the washing machine attaches - is smaller than the end of the hose . It will not join. Yet the red one for the hot water is the correct size. I do not understand why they would be different sizes?
    I cannot later the pipe work - is it possible to alter the inlet hose size instead ?
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 6th Jul 18, 3:53 PM
    • 3,459 Posts
    • 9,001 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    I can't change the pipework as it's a rented house
    Originally posted by restless6
    Have you asked the landlord or agents about the plumbing? If not, ask them.

There really is nothing to stop you doing what is suggested above in post 14 or post 15.

Just add the required fittings above that service valve.

You could remove them when the tenancy ends but frankly, in the unlikely event that your additions are noticed, a landlord would be foolish to complain as it adds functionality to the plumbing.

You could just move the washing machine hose to the service valve if the blue coloured end fits the service valve. There should be a washer to make it water tight.

Leave the red valve at the current 90 degrees to the pipe as that is the off position. Make sure it doesn't leak. If it does you need to fit a stop end. They only cost a pound or two and are easy to fit.
    Last edited by Head The Ball; 06-07-2018 at 4:10 PM.

it is probably you.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 6th Jul 18, 4:01 PM
    • 3,459 Posts
    • 9,001 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    I would also advise you to check the stopcock on the rising main bottom middle of the photo.

It looks as if it hasn't been turned for a long time and may be stuck or seized in the open position.

The last thing you want is a seized stopcock if you ever have a water leak.

Try gently closing it. If it won't move post again for further advice.

If it does move close and open it a few times then open it fully and finally close it about an eight of a turn as that helps to prevent it seizing.

Or, if you are nervous about doing that, report it to the landlord who should sort it out.
    Last edited by Head The Ball; 06-07-2018 at 4:08 PM.

it is probably you.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 6th Jul 18, 4:36 PM
    • 1,590 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Most machines these days are cold fill - but does it matter if you use a hot fill ?
    Originally posted by Robin9

Yes, "on cheap machines" (under 600?) they assume cold fill and will not go well with hot.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,958Posts Today

8,915Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin