Options
13»

Comments

• JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 July 2018 at 5:26PM
    Options
    The service valve is that chrome fitting on top of the left hand side vertical pipe. You can see part of it facing you has a slot in it.

When you've connected your washing machine inlet pipe to the top of that fitting, you use a screwdriver (or maybe a penny) to rotate that slot by 90 degrees. That lets the water flow.

What is maybe confusing you is that you have two types of service valve fitted. One with a slot and one with a (Red) handle. They both do the same job - they allow you to connect machine input hoses to cold or hot water and allow you to turn the water flow on/off. I have two of these fitted too but they are both of the same type - one with a red handle and one with a blue handle.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 July 2018 at 5:56PM
    Options
    One of these from Screwfix, https://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-valve-without-check-valve-15mm-x/51231, turn off water at stopcock and replace that silver valve. Also get one of these https://www.screwfix.com/p/bsp-blank-nut-x/39553 and put on that red valve to save any heartbreak. Your LL will never know and care even less, that service valve was likely the washing machine cold supply valve but has been replaced at some time.
  • eyeinthesky
    eyeinthesky Posts: 381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, first of all let me say that I am NOT a plumber. The valve on the left is a 15mm x 15mm isolation valve. Your washing machine hose will not connect to that valve, as it requires a 3/4 inch fitting. You can check that the washing machine hose is fitted to a hot supply by disconnecting it from the machine and directing it into a bucket, then turn the little red valve inline with the pipe. If it starts to get warm, then it is a hot supply. You can change the other valve easily, if you have a couple of suitable wrenches, and you can get a washing machine outlet at any diy store, but you will have to turn off the main stopcock. As mentioned earlier, you will probably be able to use the existing nut and olive, so a minimum of work involved. If, however, the hose does not warm up into the bucket, then you are good to go. Finally, the main supply pipe at the bottom, below the main stopcock has a big "egg" on it, and I would worry that it is about to burst. Ask your landlord to send a proper plumber in to sort it out. Hope this is of some help to you.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    :rotfl:
    Finally, the main supply pipe at the bottom, below the main stopcock has a big "egg" on it, and I would worry that it is about to burst.
    :rotfl:
    That's looks normal for a lead mains water pipe to stopcock to me!

OP you are probably best to not meddle with Landlord's pipework in case of damage you'd be liable for if things go wrong. {Me? I'd do it as I know I am competent enough to do so safely.:p}

But do request Landlord sorts out a proper cold water connection for the washing machine asap... Someone, it appears, has walked off with the olive and nut plus a bit of pipe (at least) from the top of that service isolator at some time... :eek:
  • eyeinthesky
    eyeinthesky Posts: 381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rodders53 wrote: »
    :rotfl::rotfl:
    That's looks normal for a lead mains water pipe to stopcock to me!
    :

Thanks for that!, I only have experience with copper, in my own property. Never seen anything like that before, :o. Apologies to the OP, if I caused any worry with my reply, :o.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you are sure that's the hot in your pic, then turn off the water & swop those two valves around so the one that's connected at the moment is on the left, hold the valve with some grips or similar & undo the bottom nut (anti-clockwise) & do the same with the other one, check the sink tap to make sure the water is def off & you will have some water there when you take the valve off
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure