IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Indigo railway PCN (not parked within marked bay)

Options
andrew-ajc
andrew-ajc Posts: 8 Forumite
Ok, so I am hoping somebody might be able to help me with some advice on this one.

PCN was issued on my vehicle by indigo, in a Southern Rail area car park for not parking within a marked bay (valid ticket purchased). The bay I was parked in was rather confusing, as there remained continuous painted lines (all be it faded) of what to me still looked like a parking bay, but could have just been a very poor attempt by the car park operator to remove an old space.

Either way, I possibly jumped the gun and I issued an appeal straight away (and yes I should have read forums first), but I entered my contact details as the driver of the vehicle, and I now understand I should have avoided this.

Regardless, I was at the time confident my appeal would be successful as I had taken photo's of my car parked within a bay with faded continuous lines, and I at least very much interpreted this as a parking space. I didn't think they would reject the appeal as it is pretty clear from my images how you could come to the conclusion that it was indeed a parking space, and at worst it was misleading.

Low and behold, the appeal has been rejected, and with their usual template response (this now comes to no surprise to me after doing some research).

After viewing a few forums on here, I decided to email them with the below message (which I have yet to have a response to after 14 days):

Dear Indigo,

Whilst I disagree with the decision not to overturn the pcn for the reasons stated in my appeal, having sought legal counsel on this matter I understand you have no legal basis to issue such notice.

You have stated in this instance the vehicle was in breach of railway byelaw 14 (breach code 7 - not parked correctly within a marked bay).

Railway byelaw 14 does not state that the vehicle has to be parked correctly within a marked bay, nor does it state that if it isn't, it is in breach of the byelaws. There is no breach code 7.

As a private parking company, operating on railway byelaws in this instance, you have no legal basis for this pcn.

I have been advised to begin a detailed log of my time assigned to this matter, but in the meantime you are required to cancel this charge forthwith.

I realise there is no longer a POPLA option for this as railway byelaws, but I would appreciate some advice here on what my options are and whether my best bet is just to continue making my points and be prepared they might take me to magistrates court if I continue to refuse to pay (although I'm not sure I would see the point of this as the money goes to the government, and regardless of my points raised above on their authority to issue this PCN under railway byelaws, I still have images of my vehicle parked in what many people could conclude was a parking space)

I guess I am just after some re-assurance as it's starting to bother me a little! - but at the same time I don't think I should pay the fine. Any help would be VERY GRATEFULLY received.

Thank you

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ...be prepared they might take me to magistrates court if I continue to refuse to pay...
    Don't put too much effort into that preparation.

You have absolutely no risk of facing magistrates over this.
    For a start, Indigo cannot start that prosecution.
    Neither can Indigo pass your details to the train operating company, so the TOC cannot go down that route either.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Just play mail ping pong for six months. Indigo will be happy to oblige. After six months you cannot be prosecuted.
  • andrew-ajc
    Options
    Ok thank you for the responses, I wasn't sure if I had shot myself in the foot by admitting being the driver.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,756 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, but loads of people have done that, and no cases proceeded within the 6 months.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't forget to complain to your MP about this unregulated scam, and point out that you are being denied access to Alternative Dispute Resolution which is your right in accordance with the ADR Act 2015.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • andrew-ajc
    edited 9 July 2018 at 2:25PM
    Options
    Latest response received via email by Indigo with a "letter of authority" from Govia Thameslink attached... I assume this shouldn't change my approach?

Good afternoon Mr. **

Thank you for your email in regards to your rejected appeal. My apologies for the delay in response to you.

In regards to the Byelaws if you go to 14. 4.1 you will find this statement-
    (i) The owner of any motor vehicle, bicycle or other conveyance used, left or placed in breach of Byelaw 14(1) to 14(3) may be liable to pay a penalty as displayed in that area.

and then if you would kindly refer to 14. 2.2 it states the following-

(2) No person in charge of any motor vehicle, bicycle or other conveyance shall leave or place it on any part of the railway: (i) in any manner or place where it may cause an obstruction or hindrance to an Operator or any person using the railway; or (ii) otherwise than in accordance with any instructions issued by or on behalf of an Operator authorised person.

The breach code mentioned on the notice is in relation to the instructions stating you needed to have parked within a marked bay.

In relation to us giving out notices please find attached a letter of authority from the train operating company.

On this occasion we will not be cancelling your notice. If you wish to appeal this further please seek legal advice.

Kind regards,

Indigo Park Services
  • twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Options
    "letter of authority"

yawn yawn , ping pong at 5.5 mths tell indigo to get thamelink to start case
  • andrew-ajc
    Options
    Ok, so it's best for me just to ignore this for now? - The temptation is to respond but I'm not sure it serves any purpose at this current time.
  • twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Options
    play second class royal mail , once a month asking questions , when you get a reply , wait a few weeks and question there answer , repeat and wash for 6 mths then forget

indigo cannot start court , the train co can , but indigo cant give them your info , catch 22

the train co can only start court action within 6 mths
  • andrew-ajc
    Options
    play second class royal mail , once a month asking questions , when you get a reply , wait a few weeks and question there answer , repeat and wash for 6 mths then forget

indigo cannot start court , the train co can , but indigo cant give them your info , catch 22

the train co can only start court action within 6 mths

I see, and making this clear to them in a response via email I imagine will do nothing?

I take it this is where a PCN on railway land is much harder to enforce? - as you say, if it has to be the landowner that takes me to court and they aren't able to pass my details on... how could it ever go to court?

I would rather do without the headache as I imagine I will start getting letters from debt collection agencies soon, but I understand this is all part of the process.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure