Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 5th Jul 18, 4:29 PM
    • 3,840Posts
    • 2,281Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Replacement Mobile - Option...
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:29 PM
    Replacement Mobile - Option... 5th Jul 18 at 4:29 PM
    Ok so, I am looking to replace the OHs mobile. Have always been a fan of the Moto G but this time I am aware of specific requirements I need to try to accommodate.

My wife has come to the conclusion that the important aspects for her are the:
    1. Camera
    2. Size
    So requirements for camera are aperture of f1.7 or better. Mega pixel size is not as critical. Size 5", possibly sell her on a 5.5" if needed.

I know the new Moto G6 camera has an aperture of f1.8 (so in the ball park) but it is 5.7" in size. Also from reviews I repeatedly see comments around the speed of the camera to focus (half second etc).

Samsung tend to use better cameras or certainly their cameras have better apertures (f1.7, latest phone being f1.6).

I started looking at the new Samsung Galaxy A8 which sort of fits the bill but phone size is on the larger side and whilst the aperture is f1.7 it doesn't have OIS; which would be nice.

Have looked at trying to get a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (size 5.5) with a f17 and has OIS but... here is the drag... For obvious reasons it is difficult (impossible) to get a new one of these and a lot of the Amazon or eBay marketplace sellers leave a lot to be desired wrt the quality of what they potentially supply.

Wasn't sure whether to post here or in the Techie forum but any thoughts on alternatives or recommended sellers would be welcome.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
Page 1
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 5th Jul 18, 5:25 PM
    • 10,701 Posts
    • 10,989 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:25 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 5:25 PM
    What problems are you having with getting hold of an S7/S7 Edge? They are certainly still widely advertised. I'm slightly surprised by how expensive they still are.

I have an S6, and find that to be pretty good (but that definitely is no longer available new).
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 5th Jul 18, 9:06 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 2,281 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:06 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:06 PM
    Hi

They are widely advertised and available but I have little confidence in the sellers too many reports of chinese replicas, or US / far east versions which do not work in the UK, or simply wrong phones or faulty phones being delivered.

• Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 5th Jul 18, 9:26 PM
    • 10,701 Posts
    • 10,989 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:26 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 9:26 PM
    You don't want a new one?
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 5th Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 2,281 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    You don't want a new one?
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Yes, I'd love a new one but I have not been able to find an unlocked real new one. If you have any links I'd be more than interested.

• Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 5th Jul 18, 10:55 PM
    • 10,701 Posts
    • 10,989 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:55 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:55 PM
    Argos?

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5177361

They have the Edge also, but seem to be either Refurb or unfashionable colours.

• cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 5th Jul 18, 11:11 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 2,281 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:11 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:11 PM
    It is the Edge version I am looking for.

Unfortunately their S7 Edge option (599.95) is pretty damn expensive, as you could get a new S9, with appropriate trade in, approaching that price (ignoring the size consideration I am trying to work within).

Perhaps I will reduce my focus from the Edge to the standard S7. From a camera perspective I loose nothing and the size is back around the ideal 5" (5.1"). Smaller battery than the Edge but I may very well need to compromise somewhere.

EDIT: Just spotted LaptopsDirect offering what appears to be pucka European spec (correct model number) S7 Edge for 425. Was hoping for something closer to 350 but beggars cannot be choosers. They also have a standard S7 for 370.
    Last edited by cloud_dog; 05-07-2018 at 11:36 PM.

• mac.d
    • By mac.d 6th Jul 18, 10:02 AM
    • 665 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    mac.d
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:02 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:02 AM
    Amazon have it in stock but its dearer at 481. I'd rather pay more and make sure I get the correct model as opposed to buying from a third party seller.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Edge-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Black/dp/B01C5OIINO
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 6th Jul 18, 10:26 AM
    • 10,701 Posts
    • 10,989 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:26 AM
    • 6th Jul 18, 10:26 AM
    If the retail price is that high, it might be the case that a monthly contract could be cheaper (or at least spread the cost).

• 20aday
    • By 20aday 6th Jul 18, 3:11 PM
    • 2,283 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    20aday
    It might also be worth having a look at the likes of GiffGaff etc too.

My friend's OH treated him to an S7 Edge earlier on in the year and it was good as new.

Obviously depending on the condition of the handset prices vary.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 6th Jul 18, 5:30 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 2,281 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Amazon have it in stock but its dearer at 481. I'd rather pay more and make sure I get the correct model as opposed to buying from a third party seller.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Edge-SIM-Free-Smartphone-Black/dp/B01C5OIINO
    Originally posted by mac.d
    Problem is that this is not sold by Amazon or Samsung, it is sold by MACnificent.

I do not have a lot of confidence in purchasing a new phone via these marketplace merchants, and if it is it is likely to be a non-Euro phone (usually US, or other mid/far east countries).

• cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 6th Jul 18, 5:35 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 2,281 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    It might also be worth having a look at the likes of GiffGaff etc too.

My friend's OH treated him to an S7 Edge earlier on in the year and it was good as new.

Obviously depending on the condition of the handset prices vary.
    Originally posted by 20aday
    We are with GiffGaff but no joy there.

• mac.d
    • By mac.d 6th Jul 18, 6:07 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    mac.d
    Problem is that this is not sold by Amazon or Samsung, it is sold by MACnificent.

I do not have a lot of confidence in purchasing a new phone via these marketplace merchants, and if it is it is likely to be a non-Euro phone (usually US, or other mid/far east countries).
    Originally posted by cloud_dog
    No its available for 349.99 as sold by MACnificent, but its available direct from Amazon for the dearer 481.40. (Look on the right hand side of the page under the add to basket/buy button for other sellers on Amazon and you'll see the sold by Amazon option and price).

Personally, I'd wait to see if I could get it a little cheaper direct from Amazon, perhaps set up a price watch for it on CamelCamelCamel, or keep an eye on the phones for sale via Giffgaff, on the off chance that they have either a new or refurbished one back on sale.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 10th Jul 18, 10:25 AM
    • 2,283 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    20aday
    Music Magpie currently have the S7 Edge (32GB) for 329.99 in !!!8220;Pristine Condition!!!8221;:

https://store.musicmagpie.co.uk/products/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-32gb-black-unlocked
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

178Posts Today

1,606Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin