Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 4th Jul 18, 12:48 PM
    • 4,459Posts
    • 1,950Thanks
    aardvaak
    Travelling to London
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:48 PM
    Travelling to London 4th Jul 18 at 12:48 PM
    On Monday I am going to London on the train (the first time in over 20 years) I have bought online a ticket on the overground to Liverpool Street.
    How do I pay on the underground

Can I pay by credit card?
    Do I have to get an Oyster card?
    Can I buy a ticket online?
    Does anyone know the cost?

What trains do I need to Euston?
    Is it better to take the bus if so how and how much?
Page 1
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 4th Jul 18, 12:52 PM
    • 13,331 Posts
    • 11,317 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:52 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:52 PM
    On the underground just use any contactless card at the barriers. If you buy a paper ticket it costs more.

See https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 4th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    • 4,459 Posts
    • 1,950 Thanks
    aardvaak
    • 4th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    On the underground just use any contactless card at the barriers. If you buy a paper ticket it costs more.

See https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/
    Originally posted by zagfles

When do I show the contactless card at start or end of journey?

Which line/lines do I use?

Is it quicker by bus?

Do I have to get an Oyster card? - If so do I have to have a smat phon (ie I phone) I have a Alcatel One Touch Pixi 3
    Last edited by aardvaak; 04-07-2018 at 1:32 PM.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 4th Jul 18, 1:26 PM
    • 5,170 Posts
    • 3,731 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 4th Jul 18, 1:26 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 1:26 PM
    you tap the contactless to get through the barriers at both ends, you can use it on the bus too but you just tap in for that
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 4th Jul 18, 1:51 PM
    • 4,459 Posts
    • 1,950 Thanks
    aardvaak
    • 4th Jul 18, 1:51 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 1:51 PM
    you tap the contactless to get through the barriers at both ends, you can use it on the bus too but you just tap in for that
    Originally posted by heatherw_01

So if I tap it on both occasions won't it charge me twice?
    • ShaneUK
    • By ShaneUK 4th Jul 18, 2:07 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 6,870 Thanks
    ShaneUK
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:07 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:07 PM
    Originally posted by aardvaak
    no. you tap to open the barriers to get in, and tap to open the barriers to exit. The system then works out the cheapest fare for the day, dependant on all your taps
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 4th Jul 18, 2:09 PM
    • 5,170 Posts
    • 3,731 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:09 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:09 PM
    Nope, you tap for the barrier to let you out on the underground too.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 4th Jul 18, 2:11 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    stragglebod
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:11 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:11 PM
    You mention Liv St and Euston.

Do you have a through ticket from somewhere around Essex to somewhere in North London

If so the ticket should show the maltese cross sign which means transfer by tube is included already and you don't need to pay again.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 4th Jul 18, 2:12 PM
    • 21,006 Posts
    • 16,784 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:12 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:12 PM

No, but if you don't tap out at the end of the journey you may get charged more (it depends on whether you hit the cap for the day).

For planning journeys within London I'd recommend the TfL journey planner

https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/

The easy way from Liverpool Street to Euston is to take the Circle or Metropolitan line for 5 stops to Euston Square station.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 4th Jul 18, 2:17 PM
    • 22,499 Posts
    • 11,109 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Is it quicker by bus?

Absolutely not.
    The tubes are hot (actually some have air con) and can be very crowded at peak times, but that's becuase it's a quick, regular and reliable way to get around.

With a bus you may have to wait for one but the main issue is that they are subject to traffic.
    If you want a leisurely comfortable ride and don't have time constraints then take the bus, but if you need to get somewhere then the tube is much more reliable even though it may be crowded an you might have to stand.
    Liverpool st to Euston square is about 10 mins on the tube so not too long to stand up.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 4th Jul 18, 2:29 PM
    • 4,459 Posts
    • 1,950 Thanks
    aardvaak
    No, but if you don't tap out at the end of the journey you may get charged more (it depends on whether you hit the cap for the day).

For planning journeys within London I'd recommend the TfL journey planner

https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/

The easy way from Liverpool Street to Euston is to take the Circle or Metropolitan line for 5 stops to Euston Square station.
    Originally posted by agrinnall

What is " hit the cap for the day"?
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 4th Jul 18, 2:33 PM
    • 4,459 Posts
    • 1,950 Thanks
    aardvaak
    You mention Liv St and Euston.

Do you have a through ticket from somewhere around Essex to somewhere in North London

If so the ticket should show the maltese cross sign which means transfer by tube is included already and you don't need to pay again.
    Originally posted by stragglebod

I have un overground from Ipswich to Liverpool Street and my destination is Euston

Looking on the map I have to go on Metropolian Line to to Moorgate then Northern to Euston and obviously in return later in the day - If I tap in and out all barriers does the system still calculate cheapest fare at the end to charge?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 4th Jul 18, 2:38 PM
    • 19,735 Posts
    • 45,685 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Daily fares are capped, once you reach a limit of 6.80 in central London (zones 1&2) you won't be charged for any more journeys you make.

So a single zone one fare is 2.40, if say you made 3 journeys the first two would total 4.80, the third would take you up to the cap so would be 2.00, anything after that is free.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 4th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 5,170 Posts
    • 3,731 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    Price caps listed here: http://content.tfl.gov.uk/adult-fares-2018.pdf
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 4th Jul 18, 2:43 PM
    • 19,735 Posts
    • 45,685 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I have un overground from Ipswich to Liverpool Street and my destination is Euston

Looking on the map I have to go on Metropolian Line to to Moorgate then Northern to Euston and obviously in return later in the day - If I tap in and out all barriers does the system still calculate cheapest fare at the end to charge?
    You tap in at the first barrier at Liverpool Street then tap out when you arrive at Euston, there aren't barriers between the different tube lines.

I would be inclined to stay on the Met/Circle line to Euston Square, it's less hassle than changing lines at Moorgate, and a 5 min walk from Euston mainline. Have a look on google maps to see where it is in relation to where you are going.

The Met/Circle line trains are also air conditioned, Northern Line isn't
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 4th Jul 18, 2:43 PM
    • 4,459 Posts
    • 1,950 Thanks
    aardvaak
    Thank you for all your replies they have been very useful to a novice london traveler
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 4th Jul 18, 2:46 PM
    • 22,499 Posts
    • 11,109 Thanks
    lisyloo
    There is a maximum for the day - which I believe if 6.80 in zone 1.
    This means you can travel all day within zone 1 and you'll only be charged 6.80.
    Will only affect you if you are doing at least 3 journeys.

Looking on the map I have to go on Metropolian Line to to Moorgate then Northern to Euston
    As someone else mentioned I'd recommend taking 1 tube (metropolitan, circle or hammersmith & city) to Euston Square. It's literally across the road from Euston. It's a busy road and I think there is a subway.
    The distance might even be less than the change at moorgate.

If I tap in and out all barriers does the system still calculate cheapest fare at the end to charge?
    You must tap in and out.
    Any journey within zone 1 on the tube is 2.40.

So I think it will be 2.40 * 2 = 4.80

BTW - the northern line is my least favourite tube.
    • Rodders53
    • By Rodders53 4th Jul 18, 6:25 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    Rodders53
    Euston Square is actually a few hundred metres from Euston Mainline station entrance(s). The Met/Circle line actually runs under the road and you exit up stairs over the cut & cover line (still under the road) and turn right to exit on the correct side for the Mainline station (if memory serves me right). TfL reckon it takes 4 mins to walk.

(I used to walk past Euston Square on may way to Euston from BBC HQ in the 80s. Almost faster, but was certainly less crowded and cheaper than the tube.)

TFL planner says take Central Line to Oxford Circus and Victoria to Euston as probably fastest tube route. It's probably 6 of one and 1/2 a dozen for using the Circle/Met... but aircon will make that route more pleasant for the 10-11 mins it takes
    • macman
    • By macman 4th Jul 18, 6:39 PM
    • 42,686 Posts
    • 17,957 Thanks
    macman
    As above. It would be frankly daft to go via Oxford Circus. Just get any westbound train from LIverpool St (Circle, District or Metropolitan) and get off at Euston Square. Changing trains will add far more time than the brief walk from Euston Square to Euston mainline.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 4th Jul 18, 6:48 PM
    • 2,371 Posts
    • 3,929 Thanks
    k3lvc
    Can't see it mentioned by anyone else so make sure you use the same contactless card throughout. The 'cap' is on a 'per card' basis. If you happen to use (whether on purpose or accidentally) another card then you risk hitting the cap for both cards
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,217Posts Today

7,743Users online

Martin's Twitter