Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoeEngland
    • By JoeEngland 30th Jun 18, 11:29 AM
    • 132Posts
    • 136Thanks
    JoeEngland
    Ways to earn a few quid when retired
    • 30th Jun 18, 11:29 AM
    Ways to earn a few quid when retired 30th Jun 18 at 11:29 AM
    Apart from taking a part-time or temporary full-time job in semi-retirement, what other ways does anyone on here may a few quid in retirement, beyond the obvious of managing investments and savings?

I've got a hobby that pays, and when retired I'll have more time to enjoy that and earn more from it. Also, we currently rent out half our garage via Stashbee. On the Internet I've read that there are things like doing surveys which can earn a few quid, but was wondering what other possibilities are out there.
Page 1
    • OldMusicGuy
    • By OldMusicGuy 30th Jun 18, 11:36 AM
    • 552 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    OldMusicGuy
    • 30th Jun 18, 11:36 AM
    • 30th Jun 18, 11:36 AM
    Being a film extra is quite popular. I know someone on here mentioned they had done some extra work.
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 30th Jun 18, 2:17 PM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 6,721 Thanks
    mark88man
    • 30th Jun 18, 2:17 PM
    • 30th Jun 18, 2:17 PM
    There is a whole boost your income board on MSE

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145

That should keep you busy.

I would say an active survey habit could net a few hundred to high hundreds if really pursued vigorously - although I would probably lose the will to live. It seems most helpful to those whose varied circumstances constrain them to doing stuff from home
    Things happen for a reason. Often the reason is we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    Weight - Fluctuating - less than I was more than I should be
    1/18: CC:11.5K@0% - Car Loan:17K@2.8% - Mort:145K@2.9%
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:13.4K 2017:8.3K 2018-1H:11K
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 30th Jun 18, 4:38 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 7,959 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 30th Jun 18, 4:38 PM
    • 30th Jun 18, 4:38 PM
    Exam invigilator was one that occurred to me - seasonal but always needed
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 30th Jun 18, 5:16 PM
    • 1,412 Posts
    • 2,682 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    • 30th Jun 18, 5:16 PM
    • 30th Jun 18, 5:16 PM
    Exam invigilator was one that occurred to me - seasonal but always needed
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    It is, but it is mind-numbingly boring! You have to have your eyes on the students all the time, no reading or even daydreaming. After a few days of doing it it becomes really boring!
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 30th Jun 18, 5:21 PM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 30,198 Thanks
    bugslet
    • 30th Jun 18, 5:21 PM
    • 30th Jun 18, 5:21 PM
    Friend of mine does some pet sitting, never more than a week and within a 50 mile radius. Doesn't pay a fortune, but it gets her out and she saves a bit on utilities.
    • westv
    • By westv 30th Jun 18, 5:45 PM
    • 4,620 Posts
    • 2,220 Thanks
    westv
    • 30th Jun 18, 5:45 PM
    • 30th Jun 18, 5:45 PM
    It is, but it is mind-numbingly boring! You have to have your eyes on the students all the time, no reading or even daydreaming. After a few days of doing it it becomes really boring!
    Originally posted by happyandcontented
    So quite testing then.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 30th Jun 18, 7:32 PM
    • 1,412 Posts
    • 2,682 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    • 30th Jun 18, 7:32 PM
    • 30th Jun 18, 7:32 PM
    So quite testing then.
    Originally posted by westv
    Well, no, not testing, but not exactly intellectually stimulating either, which, if you are retired would, perhaps, be beneficial, certainly it would be to me, but we are all different I suppose!
    • howlsatthemoon
    • By howlsatthemoon 30th Jun 18, 7:36 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    howlsatthemoon
    • 30th Jun 18, 7:36 PM
    • 30th Jun 18, 7:36 PM
    If near a golf club put your name down for caddying, keeps you fit as well as making a few extra 's
    • bluenose1
    • By bluenose1 30th Jun 18, 7:36 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 3,206 Thanks
    bluenose1
    Know a couple of people who have started up gardening round after retirement. Good job if you don't want to be tied down to the 9-5.
    In fact the biggest problem they have is too many requests for their services.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• wjr4
    • By wjr4 30th Jun 18, 7:38 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    wjr4
    Being a mystery shopper
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 30th Jun 18, 8:36 PM
    • 3,122 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    Alexland
    Being a mystery shopper
    Originally posted by wjr4
    When we started going out a lot of our 'dates' were mystery shopping assignments as we were each sole funding recent mortgages (with the help of a lodger each) so not much spare cash.

About 10 years ago the pubs were investing heavily on refurbishing to serve better food so they wanted a lot of before & after data to demonstrate the improvement. We also did lots of chain cinemas and bowling alleys. Being set secret challenges and memorising scripted phrases made the dates fun.

More assignments become possible when you have access to a young child. We recently took our little son to a well known bear making workshop which paid 30 but we were required to make a bear purchase and accessory which ended up costing 29.50 as he wanted the big yellow Pokemon. Still 50p profit and he would have eventually wanted to make a purchase there anyway.

The worst bit is writing it all up afterwards but my wife seems happy to do that bit.

Alex
    • 50S00N
    • By 50S00N 30th Jun 18, 8:47 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    50S00N
    Try grass roots for market research assignments they give you an allowance to spend towards or for your purchase and a fee usually between 8-15
    I also registered for food testing it's 5 for a 45 minute visit and you fill in the survey while you are there. I got enlisted by a lady in Sainsbury's
    My aunt gets paid for helping out when there is a local election too she registered through the local council. Good luck
    • retiredlady
    • By retiredlady 1st Jul 18, 11:05 AM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 7,710 Thanks
    retiredlady
    I!!!8217;m a dog lover and have two of my own. I!!!8217;m lucky enough to own my home which has a well fenced back garden. I!!!8217;ve started dog sitting in my own home. I take small dogs only and no more than two at a time. The owners provide the dogs food. Dogs come to stay anywhere from one night to up to a month. I charge twenty pounds a night per dog. Most of the dogs are repeat visitors and it!!!8217;s like having a friend coming to visit!
    The dogs are treated like my own as they have the run of the house and garden and all cuddle up with me on the sofa in the evening to watch tv!

I know it wouldn!!!8217;t suit everyone, you obviously have to be a bit relaxed about moments of chaos when the doorbell goes, keep a child gate at the front door etc. But I make some extra money, I!!!8217;m happy, the dogs are happy, and the owners are happy! Even my neighbors enjoy it and often come over to visit and play with the dogs!
    When life hands you lemons, ask for tequilla and salt and give me a call!!!
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 1st Jul 18, 11:11 AM
    • 33,558 Posts
    • 39,657 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Some councils take on seasonal wedding registrar's doing weekends , bank holiday weddings in hotels and castles etc . You need to be able to drive obviously and be confident with small and large groups of people
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 8th Jul 18, 12:45 PM
    • 2,127 Posts
    • 7,326 Thanks
    Ilona
    When I retired I said, that's it, no more work. I was very skint at the time and one or two people asked me if I could dog walk. I only did it as and when required, not every day, and didn't ask for money but said a small donation would be fine.

Years later most of the dogs have passed away. I still walk one dog occasionally, the lady wants to give me something and I say no thanks so she gives me a bottle of wine now and again. My financial position is greatly improved now and I don't need to earn money.

Another thing I do is deliver Parish Newsletters, 400 houses twice a year. They do pay me a little bit and although I don't need it I carry on with it because they know the Newsletters will get delivered and not dumped in a hedge somewhere. And as walking is my hobby to keep fit, it would be daft not to do it.

ilona
    I love second hand furniture that other people have thrown out. I wear other people's second hand clothes. I eat out of date (yellow sticker) food, and I love skip diving. My brilliant life on a pension.
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 5th Aug 18, 8:29 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    crv1963
    I know a couple who trawl charity shops for bargains then do car boots during the summer, average 100-300 profit each boot sale so they say. Keeps them active and is as onerous as they make it. Someone else sells quality charity shop bought clothes on fleabay!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Aug 18, 3:04 PM
    • 33,558 Posts
    • 39,657 Thanks
    Browntoa
    www.castincollective.net have offered me 4 or 5 film extra jobs in the last month , I've put in for the latest one as I am available and it's very local . Hoping to hear back today.

It's only minimum wage but with a premium as it's a night shoot.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Corona
    • By Corona 22nd Aug 18, 4:12 PM
    • 860 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    Corona
    I know a retired couple who do house sitting - not earning money as such but it saves them thousands on holidays. They started in the UK but now go all over Europe. Some of the houses have been luxurious; others just ordinary. They're in Germany at the moment (I know, because I'm watering the tomatoes in their greenhouse!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

19Posts Today

3,245Users online

Martin's Twitter