London Premier Inns

Options
Hi,

I have booked two nights for this week in London, and had already provisionally booked (pay on the day, cancel and pay nothing) Premier Inn Aldgate. I have panicked a bit and thought it is too far out for what we want to do and have now also provisionally booked the Premier Inn County Hall.

But, before I cancel one (or the other) I'd like to get some opinions on them both. Also, I cannot get hold of anyone to talk to at County Hall, I want to ask what sort of room it is (with me and my 16 year old daughter, I'd ideally like a double bed for me and a sofa bed for her, certainly NOT one double bed, that would be a disaster.).

Anyway, anyone help with some thoughts, please?

Thanks,

Duncan
:)

Comments

• heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they'll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Dimps_123
    Dimps_123 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Duncan

I've stayed at the County Hall before - probably about 10 times. I love London! I've stayed with my son most of those times and once with my Mum. We booked a twin room I think and always had two double beds. Most of the time we've had a view of the eye/ Thames too. Obviously not a guarantee but a bonus all the same.

Never stayed in Aldgate - but I can say County Hall is right in the middle of it all depending on what you have planned of course :-) The rooms have everything you need - definitely enough for two nights.

Agree they can be a bit difficult to get hold of before the booking but I've never had a problem when we arrive.
    DIMPS
    Working towards being debt free :rotfl:June 2022
  • duncan32
    duncan32 Posts: 524 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that, it sure puts my mind at rest (will still try to get hold of someone to talk to if I can tomorrow, just to get them to confirm that it is 2 double beds, which would be ace!)
    Right, it sounds like you are bit of a London expert then, so I wonder if you have any suggestions for us for the three days, please?
    I am pretty sorted mostly, and am planning to do zero public transport, and walk everywhere (worst one maybe the walk from St Pancras which will be 2 and half miles, but not too bad).
    Any ideas to add to this, really appreciated:
    DAY 1: after dropping at Premier Inn, head to Aquarium and then over to the theatre to see Book of Mormon, taking in dinner on the way to that (not sure where...).

DAY 2: After breakfast, walk to Imperial War Museum and spend until mid afternoon there, then no plans !!!8230;!!!8230; something in nice walking distance would be ideal? Again, no plans for evening meal yet either.

DAY 3: London Dungeon after breakfast which should then leave afternoon free to do something before heading home about 7 ish?

Obviously, I am looking myself to see what else we can get up to, but sounds like you know the City!

Thanks and take care.

Duncan
  • Dimps_123
    Dimps_123 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 26 June 2018 at 8:24AM
    Options
    I love London! Lived there till I was 18 and recently took my son up there for a week to celebrate his 21st birthday. We managed the Ritz (amazing!!), four shows and loads of attractions.

We have done the zero public transport before and you often get to see bits that are always missed - so that can be a bonus too.

They'll be plenty of choices for eating around the theatre :-)

A walk along the Southbank is always a good option - that could be the one to do after the war museum. Usually loads going on and of course lots of nice places to eat and people watch. Or cross over on Westminster Bridge and explore Westminster where you can see the Houses of Parliament/ walk to Downing Street/ through St James Park/ down the Mall/ look at Buck house - that's a lovely walk and not too far from where you're staying. We always found we just walked and walked and forgot we had to walk the same distance back lol!

We used the London Pass https://www.londonpass.com/ for our trip - we paid for three days and managed to fit in a lot of attractions. Highlights for us were HMS Belfast, Shakespeare's Globe and the Shard.

Top Tip if you're not bothered about the Shard but want a decent view over London try out the Sky Garden https://skygarden.london/ Its in the walkie talkie on the opposite side of the river to the Shard near Tower Bridge. Free to get in, though you will have to book a space. Great views/ lovely indoor plants and a bar/ cafe too.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask anything else

Dimps
    x
    DIMPS
    Working towards being debt free :rotfl:June 2022
  • Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Leicester Square and Covent Garden I'll just the other side of Trafalgar Square. Also the National Portrait Gallery and St Martin's in the field around Trafalgar Square to/B]
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    If you have booked a family room you will have a double bed and a sofa bed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure