How do you feel about giving your credit card details to hotels?

Options
When I checked in to my hotel which was prepaid they asked me for my credit card details in case they need to charge anything. I have heard some serious horror stories on these forums about hotels overcharging credit cards so I'm reluctant. But I'm in a foreign country with my family and don't fancy a punch up on day one. How do you feel about giving your credit card details to hotels? And would I be right to refuse? I guess they could include it in their terms of business but they didn't
If I ruled the world.......

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have no qualms about it at all and there a lots of consumer protections against unathorized charges. I can't remember the last time I stayed at a hotel and didn't give my card details as security and I've stayed at plenty.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's the way it works, you can't avoid it. I've travelled the world since before credit cards were invented & never had a problem.

Just checked on Wiki, OK I'm not that old.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I would say in about half the hotels I've stayed in it's an option if you want to charge anything to your room. In the other half it's mandatory.

I've never had a problem.

Thinking about it further, the hotels that ask for a security deposit are probably the ones that have chargeable items available in the room; minibar, bathrobes etc
  • Everynamestaken
    Options
    I've stayed in a fair few hotels and I'm sure off the top of my head, majority do ask for cash and don't require the credit card if you want to pay that way.

Tbh I don't really care because I've never had a problem but I do sometime see negative reviews on TripAdvisor regarding blips with card payments, but I do wonder if that's not the hotels fault, but rather the customers as like I say I have never once had a problem.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In hotels every week and it's very rarely I'm not asked for my credit card details, even when the hotel has been paid by my employer. In twenty years I've never had a problem.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    While it's true that this is common practice, make sure they're just swiping your card or keeping the data in a secure way...

Once I booked by phone at a pub-hotel in Wales, and didn't think it unusual at the time that they asked not only for the CC number and expiry date, but also the 3-digit security code on the back...

... til I got to the pub to discover that all this secure detail had simply been written into a diary which lay open on the bpub counter; visible to anyone who cared to take a look. The callow youth on the bar was surprised that I objected. Similarly, I've been asked to leave my credit card behing the bar when opening a tab; as if I would disregard the advice that you never let it out of your sight!

(Just cos you're paranoid don't mean they ain't out to get you)
  • ChrisK....._3
    Options
    When I buy anything from chocolate, to cars, to houses, they don't demand a few blank cheques just in case they want to bill me for something - The normal way of purchasing things is for the buyer and seller to reach 'an agreement'. Although a business can apply any conditions it likes and if thats the way hotels work I might need to get with the program and rely on their integrity not to empty my bank account. Another thing I need to do is actually get a Credit Card because I only have a debit card at the moment.
    If I ruled the world.......
  • dickydonkin
    dickydonkin Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 June 2018 at 5:22PM
    Options
    The only issues I have had on a couple of occasions was being charged for stays that were already prepaid.

Something else to be aware of is that some hotels will pre-authorise silly amounts on your credit card that could potentially impact on your available spending/credit limit on the card - even though the money is not actually taken out of the account.

Nowadays with electronic banking, it is quite easy to keep tabs on what is actually being charged/authorised to a CC account and you can always ask at check in what the hotel is going to pre-authorise on your card and if you are not happy with the amount, ask for it to be reduced.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When I buy anything from chocolate, to cars, to houses, they don't demand a few blank cheques just in case they want to bill me for something - The normal way of purchasing things is for the buyer and seller to reach 'an agreement'.

A lot of people agree to this, because of the convenience it gives.

If you want to drink in the bar, eat in the restaurant or order room service - if the hotel has your card details, you won't have to pay each time (and/or they don't have to worry about you 'doing a runner' without paying for those things.)

I guess there's also risk that you steal the shower robe, drop the tv remote down the toilet (accidentally or otherwise), tip a bottle of red wine over the carpet etc - and disappear without telling them. Having your card details gives them extra security.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The first time I came across it was on a fully inclusive holiday in China where the hotel charges were met by the tour company and the taking of card details caused much upset with some on the tour worried that charges would be taken that were in excess of their credit limit.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport