taking out local currency abroad

I will be in Germany ( EU) and Switzerland ( nn eu and they still use swiss francs) and want to know how best to access cash in local currency) through a cash machine. My cardss are a bank of Scotland current and reward account cards. I also have a credit card (Tesco)….what are my best options? Should I switch cards or are they as good an option as any? Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/

Guessing that you are in Scotland, so an 'on the spot' issue of a Metro Bank debit card won't be available to you.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 June 2018 at 2:32PM
    When are you travelling ? Time may be against you.

BoS cards are not "user friendly" in terms of foreign ATM usage.

You can apply for a Metrobank debit card account online now - Starling is also a very good choice.

https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjwjZjZBRAZEiwAPeLSK72QxYATAmHjw6CQ7SI_duWbDigxmosjfgj10JDiTXN7xxRK-gwQ5hoC7KgQAvD_BwE

The former is only ATM fee free in SEPA countries, (mostly where Euros are currency) but it includes Switzerland.

The latter is world wide AFAIK.

This credit card is absolutely the best deal for foreign currency right now. I have one, worked fine on three separate trips abroad since issue.

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/platinum-travel-credit-card
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards#checker

Tesco CC not quite as bad as BoS cards. To avoid all fees open an additional account with Starling Bank or Metro Bank, there's also Monzo and Loot.io

Reject any attempt by the ATM to convert your pounds at its own lousy rate by selecting 'Without Conversion' or similar.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    edited 18 June 2018 at 8:44AM
    Beware - Monzo has a fee free 30 day allowance of up to £200 equivalent for ATM withdrawals - thereafter it charges 3% until the next monthly cycle kicks in.

That's roughly 225 Euros before that fee is applied.

Metrobank and Starling have no such restriction.
  • I have recently returned from Lisbon where I withdrew cash twice from a local ATM in Euros. I had specifically obtained the Barclaycard Platinum because I thought it charged no interest or fees whilst using abroad. This is not the case. I have today received my first statement showing interest charged for each cash withdrawal. I telephoned Barclaycard to check on this and they confirmed that yes interest is payable on cash withdrawn outside of the UK.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have recently returned from Lisbon where I withdrew cash twice from a local ATM in Euros. I had specifically obtained the Barclaycard Platinum because I thought it charged no interest or fees whilst using abroad. This is not the case. I have today received my first statement showing interest charged for each cash withdrawal. I telephoned Barclaycard to check on this and they confirmed that yes interest is payable on cash withdrawn outside of the UK.

I've copied this from the Barclaycard website today and it states that interest isn't charged for up to 56 days.

Interest-free purchases and withdrawals for up to 56 days
    Enjoy a little breather once you get home, with no interest to pay for up to 56 days, provided you pay each monthly statement balance in full, on:
    Purchases you make when you use your credit card abroad, like paying for your hotel room in the local currency
    Any non-sterling cash withdrawals you make while you're away

Unquote

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/help-and-support/spending-abroad

What option did you select when withdrawing the cash with regard to currency conversion?
  • Hi Neil - yes that's what I read. At the ATM I wasn't sure which option to choose, so I selected to take the rate quoted in Euros. Was this a mistake?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    Hi Neil - yes that's what I read. At the ATM I wasn't sure which option to choose, so I selected to take the rate quoted in Euros. Was this a mistake?
    Yes, you must reject the 'Conversion' option, which allows the ATM to exchange your pounds at their terrible rate, instead of your card converting at the ideal Visa rate. Having your card charged in pounds in that way, instead of euros, could be the reason that interest was incurred, I'm not sure. Is your card the Platinum Travel?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    edited 18 June 2018 at 8:21PM
    The Barclaycard Platinum Travel Card does not attract any charges at foreign ATMs for withdrawing cash, unless the ATM owner bank imposes these, and that would apply to all cards.

It's usually easy enough to find holes in the wall that have no such parent bank fee.

However, as explained , if you allow the ATM owner bank to set the conversion rate it will not be favourable to the cardholder.

Always select "Without Conversion" as advised above.

Barclays are Not Guilty in this case.

We've all learned this lesson the hard way - once bitten etc. etc.
  • Yes, I have the Barclaycard Platinum Travel card. Thanks for the advice - will know in future which option to choose!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure