Working out housing benefit calculations

Have things changed when working out room allowance?

I’m not getting anywhere trying to work it out on the calculator

Could somebody help me please, if a couple have one ten yr old boy and three under ten girls, do they qualify for a three or four bedroom rate?
Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    AG47 wrote: »
    Have things changed when working out room allowance?

I’m not getting anywhere trying to work it out on the calculator

Could somebody help me please, if a couple have one ten yr old boy and three under ten girls, do they qualify for a three or four bedroom rate?
    4 bedrooms. 1 couple share, 1 room for the boy, 2 girls in another room and 1 girl with her own room.
    Calculate rooms here.
    https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/bedroomcalculator.aspx
  • AG47
    AG47 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Thanks and where can I find out the rates for my postcode please
  • AG47
    Can anybody give the link where to find three or four bedroom rates for different postcodes?
  • poppy12345
    Can anybody give the link where to find three or four bedroom rates for different postcodes?
    A quick google search gave me this.
    https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/search.aspx
  • AG47
    Is there still that rule that if you rent somewhere £15 less than your allowance then you can keep the difference
  • poppy12345
    Is there still that rule that if you rent somewhere £15 less than your allowance then you can keep the difference
    There's never been that rule, at least not in the time that i've claimed housing benefit for and that's 12 years. Why would you think that, that would be possible? We are talking about tax payers money here.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!

No. Under LHA the rule did exist but it’s stopped a few years ago.
  • poppy12345 wrote: »
    There's never been that rule, at least not in the time that i've claimed housing benefit for and that's 12 years. Why would you think that, that would be possible? We are talking about tax payers money here.

Yes this rule did exist. It has been abolished.

Before April 2011, if the rent you paid was less than your standard Local Housing Allowance rate you could keep up to £15 a week of the difference. This provided an incentive to find a cheaper rent.
    I enjoy flower arranging, kittens, devil worship, the study of serial killers and their methods and road kill jigsaws.
  • AG47
    So what happens now if the rents have fallento under your allowance for your area, but you don't want to move to a nicer place?

Shall I ask my landlord to put my rent up to the amount I can get, and then ask for all new furniture or something?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    So what happens now if the rents have fallento under your allowance for your area, but you don't want to move to a nicer place?

Shall I ask my landlord to put my rent up to the amount I can get, and then ask for all new furniture or something?

You own your own home, (if you read some posts) so you dont need to do that.

Or you live outside off the grid (if you read some posts) so you don't need to do that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure