Live Mail 2012

derrick
derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I have Gmail and Yahoo email accounts both forwarded to Windows Live Mail 2012, a few days ago I got a security from Google along the lines of " you received this message because your Yahoo account is listed as the recovery email for ******@gmail.com. If ******@gmail.com is not your Google account, click here to disconnect from that account and stop receiving emails." The Yahoo account is my recovery email and has been for a long while.

When clicking on "receive mail" I get a pop up "Windows Live Mail. the server has rejected your login. Please verify that your user name and password are correct" I click OK "server; imap.gmail.com', username and password boxes are already populated so I press OK, but again get " Windows Live Mail. the server has rejected your login. Please verify that your user name and password are correct" I click OK and go round again in circles.

The login details are OK, I can get into Gmail and Yahoo from desktop and Lenova tablet without problems, it just seems to be the forwarding mechanism.

I am getting the following "Some errors occurred while processing the requested tasks. Please review the list of errors below for more details."Windows Live Mail.
Tasks: Check for messages on Gmail******, Status: Warnings.
Errors: Unable to send or receive messages for the Gmail ******) account. Header download for the 'Inbox' folder did not complete. The operation was cancelled by the user.

Server Response: WEBALERT (I have cut out the link as it sends to my account) Web login required.
Server: 'imap.gmail.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: IMAP
Port: 993
Secure(SSL): Yes

We received a notification about your 'Gmail (******)' account: Please log in via your web browser: https://support.google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754 (Failure). I have tried this but can't make head or tail. I changed my pass word yesterday but only because of the security alert and I can log into Gmail and Yahoo from my desktop and tablet.

WEBALERT (I have cut out the link as it sends to my account). Web login required.

Configuration:
Account: Gmail (******)
Server: imap.gmail.com
Username: ******
Protocol: IMAP
Port: 993
Secure(SSL): 1
Code: 800cccd1

Any ideas as to the cause and how to, (easily), rectify?

TIA.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You need to log into your Google account with a web browser and go to the security settings. In there you want to enable the option to use less secure apps. This will allow Windows Live Mail to connect.

Alternatively you can change your email client to a more up do date piece of software that does not need this option changing. Windows Live Mail is old, not supported, and will not be updated to the latest methods of logging into Google accounts.
  • derrick
    edited 13 May 2018 at 12:22PM
    I have spoken to Microsoft who inform me that Live Mail is not supported and has been so for about 2 years. Is this correct? I have been using it OK up until a few days ago.

Microsoft suggest buy Office or use an old version of Office, (turns out I have a version of Office 2000 Professional on my computer), and use Outlook but am having trouble getting it to work despite assistance from Microsoft over the phone who seem to suggest maybe Office 2000 might not be compatible with Windows 7. Although I have set up Outlook and tried a test email but it came back as "undeliverable, No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient."

How would I set up Outlook on my computer? do I need a new email address and what about the POP3 and SMTP etc?

• derrick
    edited 13 May 2018 at 1:55PM
    wongataa wrote: »
    You need to log into your Google account with a web browser and go to the security settings. In there you want to enable the option to use less secure apps. This will allow Windows Live Mail to connect.

Alternatively you can change your email client to a more up do date piece of software that does not need this option changing. Windows Live Mail is old, not supported, and will not be updated to the latest methods of logging into Google accounts.

Have tried this, it does not work, I still get the same response as my OP.

I have installed Outlook but cannot get it to work, it is now saying,"There was an error reading your internet e-mail service. Click the Tools menu, click Services, delete the service and then create a new one".

Trouble is, despite it being here earlier, there is no Service button under Tools now.

Also getting, "Unable to display the folder. Internal MAPI error: The information store provider could not be added to the active MAPI profile. Contact your administrator."

• wongataa
    derrick wrote: »
    I have spoken to Microsoft who inform me that Live Mail is not supported and has been so for about 2 years. Is this correct? I have been using it OK up until a few days ago.
    This is correct.
  • derrick
    So Live Mail is no longer? Is there another, similar, email client that I can download, for free, that will allow me to forward mail from Gmail and Yahoo mail to said client?

It seems I cannot use Outlook unless I purchase Office 2016, my Office 2000 does not seem to allow Outlook and Thunderbird will also not work.

There seems to be a lot of free downloads of Office 2016 on Google HERE , does this one seem alright?

• wongataa
    So Live Mail is no longer? Is there another, similar, email client that I can download, for free, that will allow me to forward mail from Gmail and Yahoo mail to said client?

It seems I cannot use Outlook unless I purchase Office 2016, my Office 2000 does not seem to allow Outlook and Thunderbird will also not work.
    Thunderbird works just fine with Gmail. I use it on one of my computers. eM Client is another option. I use that too with no issues.
  • derrick
    wongataa wrote: »
    Thunderbird works just fine with Gmail. I use it on one of my computers. eM Client is another option. I use that too with no issues.

I have downloaded thunderbird, and whilst it has downloaded it won't allow me access as it keeps asking for my Gmail password, (as does Live Mail), but despite putting in the correct password, (I have signed directly into Gmail with this password OK), it keeps saying, "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Web login required: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754".

• Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    but despite putting in the correct password, (I have signed directly into Gmail with this password OK), it keeps saying, "Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Web login required: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754".
    Have you tried the troubleshooting tip "Allow less secure apps: If you don't use 2-Step Verification, you might need to allow less secure apps to access your account." suggested in the link provided by the error message?

Similar to this:
    https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I can hook you up with office 2007 pro if you like ?
  • derrick
    Chino wrote: »
    Have you tried the troubleshooting tip "Allow less secure apps: If you don't use 2-Step Verification, you might need to allow less secure apps to access your account." suggested in the link provided by the error message?

Similar to this:
    https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

I have already tried that as Google sent me a warning the other day, but it made no difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport