Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BELLATOR-MORTIS
    • By BELLATOR-MORTIS 12th May 18, 11:10 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BELLATOR-MORTIS
    0 WOW
    Car hire - alicante,spain
    • 12th May 18, 11:10 AM
    0 WOW
    Car hire - alicante,spain 12th May 18 at 11:10 AM
    Hi,
    I need advice and confirmation please.
    I am fed up with being ripped off every time I hire a car in Spain. Initial payment with ins etc £150 as an example but on arrival we end up paying nearly triple.

I have just followed MSE to book car hire and used SkyScanner, booked a car for June 2018 7 days hire with a total cost of £44.84 including insurance and free cancellation.
    Not bad for 7 days

On arrival what do I need to avoid paying for?
    Do I need to leave my credit card with a £1500+ deposit?

This price is too good to be true and I am sure I am going to get stung.

Please help!!

Thanks in advance for anyone’s help.
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 12th May 18, 11:42 AM
    • 18,580 Posts
    • 7,696 Thanks
    richardw
    • 12th May 18, 11:42 AM
    • 12th May 18, 11:42 AM
    Who do you pick the car up from ?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • BELLATOR-MORTIS
    • By BELLATOR-MORTIS 12th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BELLATOR-MORTIS
    • 12th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 12th May 18, 9:28 PM
    It is Goldcar.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 12th May 18, 9:50 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 12th May 18, 9:50 PM
    • 12th May 18, 9:50 PM
    It is Goldcar.
    Originally posted by BELLATOR-MORTIS
    Oh dear... Judging by posts on here they seem to be the worst of the lot.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 12th May 18, 10:24 PM
    • 18,580 Posts
    • 7,696 Thanks
    richardw
    • 12th May 18, 10:24 PM
    • 12th May 18, 10:24 PM
    Goldcar at ALC have a pick up office in the worst place, the queues get in the way of others. Their cars are in the dark basement of the car park.
    Do not bother picking it up.

The good news is good car hire companies are very competitive at ALC, so book with one of those.
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 13th May 18, 8:14 AM
    • 2,260 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    • 13th May 18, 8:14 AM
    • 13th May 18, 8:14 AM
    Do a search on Google for Goldcar..........
    Then cancel your booking.
    • BELLATOR-MORTIS
    • By BELLATOR-MORTIS 14th May 18, 12:10 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BELLATOR-MORTIS
    • 14th May 18, 12:10 AM
    • 14th May 18, 12:10 AM
    Thanks, but I seem to be running out of options.
    I hate gold car and most of the others there too.
    Google does not help as all I see is the negatives.

I just need to find car hire at a good price that won’t sting me when I collect the car.

Recommdations on who to use and to make that one off payment when booking and collect those keys on arrival.

I only booked gold car as the quote for 7 days was good @ £48 inc insurance with AXA.
    With this booking are there any hidden costs?
    What will happen when I collect the car?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 14th May 18, 8:18 AM
    • 18,580 Posts
    • 7,696 Thanks
    richardw
    • 14th May 18, 8:18 AM
    • 14th May 18, 8:18 AM
    You should be looking to pay from £140 for a week from a well known better brand.

Use travel supermarket and www.carrentals.co.uk to do comparisons. Pick the fuel option as full to full.

Look at prices for Avis Budget Enterprise Hertz National Sixt Thrifty.
    If they are not telling you the supplier, ignore that price.

Look at excess insurance from insurance4carhire.
    Last edited by richardw; 14-05-2018 at 8:33 AM.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 14th May 18, 9:44 AM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 1,793 Thanks
    bagand96
    • 14th May 18, 9:44 AM
    • 14th May 18, 9:44 AM
    I only booked gold car as the quote for 7 days was good @ £48 inc insurance with AXA.
    It is impossible for anyone to answer those questions fully without knowing the T&Cs of the booking.

Once you get to the desk (after a massive slow moving queue at Goldcar) they will try and up sell you everything. All hire companies to this to some degree but Goldcar are one of the worst.

- Insurance.Your hire will include a basic insurance, this will have a large excess which you will be required to leave on a credit card. It will say this in the T&Cs (which you need to read to answer some if your own questions).

It sounds as if you have purchased an excess policy with AXA when you booked. This is a separate policy you have which covers you for that excess. So if Goldcar find damage and charge you some of your excess; you can then claim this back from AXA. You will need an invoice from Goldcar though which might be easier said than done.

Goldcar will try and sell you their own Zero Excess policy meaning you dont need to leave an excess and can hire worry free. This will be expensive though, more than the hire itself. They will likely use high pressure tactics to do this. You can tell them you have your own policy with AXA - they will try and make out it is not good enough etc. They will also try and sell you extra insurance for tyres, windscreens, breakdown, loss of keys (your AXA policy may or may not covet these).

- Fuel Again look at your T&Cs for the fuel policy. Full to Full or Full to Emoty? If it is the latter then Goldcar will charge you for a full tank of fuel at a high price and tell you to bring it back empty. If it is Full to Full they will try and up sell you to buying a tank of fuel at their high price and telling you to bring back empty.

-Damage When you collect make sure all damage to the car is logged on the rental agreement. Inspect the car fully, any damage that is not there add yourself and get gokdcar to sign it before driving away.

You can have a cheap rental with Goldcar if you go in with eyes wide open and watch them at every step. Personally I gave up on them a long time ago based on their long queues alone. I would be tempted to do another comparison and see if any more reputable companies come up and what prices they are. You pays your money you takes your choice!
    Last edited by bagand96; 14-05-2018 at 9:49 AM.
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 14th May 18, 9:41 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    Goldcar and all of the others car hire companies are ok if you don't get sucked in by the headline rate.

I've always found that booking direct with any hire car company is the best option and normally means that you'll get looked after better (upgraded car etc).

Mind you, I normally take out the full insurance package when I book.

I know I could get covered cheaper but, at the end of the day, I'm on holiday - I don't want to be thinking about the fact that I've left a massive deposit on my card and will have to claim back for any small scratches they find when I take the car back.

I'm actually booked with Goldcar at Alicante in a few week's time - I know what it can be like at their collection desk so I emailed them after booking and got a free upgrade to their 'Key and go' option (you go straight to the car park area and get the keys from a kind of vending machine).
    • skid112
    • By skid112 15th May 18, 7:43 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    skid112
    As another Richardw has advised, around £140 for a better brand, no hard sell, no up-selling your choice if you take their insurance or have your own. Only one choice to make bring the car back empty or full.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 15th May 18, 11:04 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Thanks, but I seem to be running out of options.
    I hate gold car and most of the others there too.
    Google does not help as all I see is the negatives.

I just need to find car hire at a good price that won’t sting me when I collect the car.

Recommdations on who to use and to make that one off payment when booking and collect those keys on arrival.

You will likely have to pay for a tank of fuel in advance. They may 'find' damage to the car on your return and charge that to your CC.
    You'll then need to try to recoup that from AXA.
    They may pressure you into purchasing their Relax Cover buy scaring you with all that could occur, as the AXA policy has no connection with GoldCar whatsoever.
    • pe567567567
    • By pe567567567 19th May 18, 10:45 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    pe567567567
    After hiring cars at Alicante airport for many years and probably tried all the various companies through Do You Spain I find one is faced with 2 options
    Option 1
    Buy annual car hire excess insurance from one of the recommended companies in UK £30 odd quid?? Get the cheapest full to full deal available on DYS, don't pay upfront. Keep checking prices using a private window on your browser, rebook, cancelling the previous booking as the prices become lower, even up to the day before travel. eventually you will have to pay with booking. Get to airport, put up with the queues, do not take any extras however they are trying to cajole you into accepting. Take your paperwork and go to your car, then carefully inspect it, photograph it, then find an employee to go over all the scratches, marks and dents that aren't on your contract and make sure he marks them on both their copy and your copy. On return fill up at the petrol station on the approach road to the Airport, keep the receipt. Photograph the receipt in front of the dash showing a full tank. Photograph your returning car and give the keys and petrol receipt to the hirer. I regularly used to get car hire for 10/11 euros per week. Never, never, use Dickmanns and look in the hire t's & c's for a company that blocks the excess amount from your card rather than one that actually takes it then eventually refunds it.
    Option 2
    Pay a reasonable price in the first place, take the full insurance and have a worry free holiday!
    I find Wiber to be the best for price, easy pick up at airport and very little queue. All new cars and great people. I have just paid under 300 euros for 25 days all in with a Focus.

Hope i didn't miss anything out, getting too old and can't be bothered any more with option 1
    I have even seen people in the queue for the car hire rebooking with DYS to get the cheapest prices. I was sitting next to a chap on the plane bragging about my 3 week car hire for 40 odd euros and he showed me his latest booking for 14 euros for 3 weeks!

Obviously the company can't possibly make money on this so you will be harangued to take extras, they will try to sting you for "scratches"on your return, or charge you for cleaning, not filling the tank, 50 euros for a removal of car hire company sticker (check and photograph that it is on at collection and return) etc, etc. You can beat them but be prepared to take a bit time.
    Last edited by pe567567567; 19-05-2018 at 10:55 AM. Reason: hit post button too early
    • jimarnold
    • By jimarnold 20th May 18, 2:01 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    jimarnold
    As noted above Goldcar=Dreadful
    Massive queues at the desk as they try to upsell everyone then there is never anyone there at the car park so if you do find a problem you have to go back up in the lift over the bridge and back down again ! Similarly on return they wont check it immediately on return - so the first thing you know of a problem is the charge on your CC.
    In addition to checking for scratches etc check the spare wheel and the 2 warning triangles are there

Personally use Centauro at Alicante - and non of the above applies and their form includes a circle around the size of a £2 coin and any marks less than that don't count as damage so you don't need a magnifying glass to check the car

oh and the nearest petrol station is only accessible if you are travelling westbound on the N338 ie from the N332 not from the N340/A70/A79
    • Joanna78
    • By Joanna78 24th May 18, 11:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joanna78
    Car Hirer Alicante Airport with Goldcar
    Please follow the threads advise. I have just returned from a trip to Spain, I followed the MSE tips and advice. Used the sky scanner website, took out my own excess insurance.
    When I arrived at Alicante Airport, I was subject to Goldcar pressuring me to take out their zero excess waiver insurance. I explained I had my own excess insurance which they told me was not adequate. I still refused to take the insurance and therefore they blocked £1,400 on my credit card as the deposit.
    We received the paperwork / contract for the car and there were a number of significantly damaged areas. We checked the car with the service rep down in the car park area and took pictures of the damaged panels.
    On returning the car we checked it back in and women in the service office who asked if we had any damage to report, we said no and she said fine (should have got her to sign paperwork!).
    On returning to the UK, I have received a bill for 830 euros for damage to hirer car. Goldcar have charged us for the previous damage to the car even though it was clearly highlighted in their contract!!
    I've put a temporary block on my credit card, so they can't take any more money but I am not sure if that means money can't be credited back again?? Anyone know?
    I've already started complaints procedure with Goldcar through their website but I have heard nothing back. If you call them you get referred to their online complaints procedure.
    I can't claim for the damage with my excess waiver insurance policy because I did not cause any damage.
    I am now thinking it would have been cheaper to take out their zero waiver insurance with Goldcar
    Anyone else don't use Goldcar there are many hidden costs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

47Posts Today

3,270Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin