Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MsBrown
    • By MsBrown 10th May 18, 12:01 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MsBrown
    I don't live in a fibre area....help!
    • 10th May 18, 12:01 PM
    I don't live in a fibre area....help! 10th May 18 at 12:01 PM
    Basically what the title says, I recently moved and have quickly realised the broadband I signed up for with EE is extremely slow.... currently in discussions with them trying to terminate my contract early as I've had nothing but problems with them not providing the "guaranteed speeds" but that's a whole other issue.

I don't live in a fibre area, so is the only alternative Virgin Media?? The previous owners had Virgin Media and there is a socket to plug the router cable into, so no problem there, but there isn't a VM phone socket, will I have to get an engineer out?

This is all very new to me so I'm a bit clueless! Thanks!
Page 1
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 10th May 18, 12:11 PM
    • 5,537 Posts
    • 7,549 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 10th May 18, 12:11 PM
    • 10th May 18, 12:11 PM
    If the house has had virgin media it is fibre. One of the best ones available.

Virgin media doesnt have to use a landline. You can get one installed if you wish but the broadband does not require a landline.

Depends on the set up if you need an engineer out. Id imagine if everything is good they will look to avoid it but then they do like to install the tv boxes and make sure eveything is set up correctly. The tv packages arent compulsory either but at the time a few years ago i couldnt get the broadband package cheaper than the tv and broadband packages.
    Don't be angry!
    • MsBrown
    • By MsBrown 10th May 18, 12:15 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MsBrown
    • 10th May 18, 12:15 PM
    • 10th May 18, 12:15 PM
    Sorry I meant to say I would be looking at getting a broadband and phone package (not really interested in the tv package). So presumably I'd need a Virgin phone socket installed?
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 10th May 18, 12:37 PM
    • 3,224 Posts
    • 928 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 10th May 18, 12:37 PM
    • 10th May 18, 12:37 PM
    talk to them.

If its a recent install the phone may piggy back off the fibre/coax connection
    • MsBrown
    • By MsBrown 10th May 18, 1:58 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MsBrown
    • 10th May 18, 1:58 PM
    • 10th May 18, 1:58 PM
    Thanks...I have called them but they don't know the answer and want to send an engineer round (at a cost of 40) which I don't really fancy paying if it's just a case of something I could have done myself (i.e plugged it in!)
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 12th May 18, 1:30 PM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 12th May 18, 1:30 PM
    • 12th May 18, 1:30 PM
    4G is another option for fibre-speed internet, so long as you have decent coverage and can cope with a capped service.

I currently use EE for my home internet connection, was getting 120Mbit/s last time I checked. They're currently offering 50G a month for 35 which I think is quite a good deal:
    https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4gee-router/details
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th May 18, 1:57 PM
    • 14,797 Posts
    • 20,046 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 12th May 18, 1:57 PM
    • 12th May 18, 1:57 PM
    Three offer 100Gb on 4G for 40 a month. Apparently, only available in store.

If you want to buy online, the best you can get is 40GB for 23 a month.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 15th May 18, 5:30 PM
    • 9,120 Posts
    • 5,436 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 15th May 18, 5:30 PM
    • 15th May 18, 5:30 PM
    Check that you really don't have FTTC.

After years broken promises,we were left as a no fibre estate surrounded by people who could have the service and I had requested to be informed when fibre became available.

I assumed this was still the case, a few months ago,as I had not seen Openreach vans at the box across the way, the box is unchanged and I'd had no information about switch on.

However, by chance I noted that provider sites were now quoting our house for fibre, so checked with Openreach's site, to find we were enabled and able to make an order.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,113Posts Today

7,308Users online

Martin's Twitter