Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • josean
    • By josean 9th May 18, 8:54 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 8Thanks
    josean
    Dubious CCJ for NHS Aintree
    • 9th May 18, 8:54 PM
    Dubious CCJ for NHS Aintree 9th May 18 at 8:54 PM
    Hello to all
    Hoping for some advice and help here hopefully.
    Today I received a dubious looking letter from the County court supposedly (small crown in a circle, but no official looking stamp).
    It says that the claimant is the Aintree University NHS Trust and that I owe them 169. Address for payment being a Trethowans LLP in Southampton.
    First I have heard of anything to do with this. I was rushed to that Hospital with a head trauma and was treated there at the beginning of this year.
    It states that the judgement for claimant (in default) top left of letter.
    I have no idea of what any of this means and I have never had any CCJ served before so I am really quite worried. So I am hoping that someone could shed some light please.
    Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 9th May 18, 8:59 PM
    • 4,925 Posts
    • 6,375 Thanks
    waamo
    • 9th May 18, 8:59 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:59 PM
    Did you receive any paperwork from the court before this? Before a ccj is issued there is usually a mountain of paperwork. Have you received absolutely nothing?

If so you should be able to get a set aside. Look at the top of this board for a thread that tells Newbies to read it first. In that thread is an explanation of the court process including getting a set aside.
    This space for hire.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 9th May 18, 9:01 PM
    • 20,494 Posts
    • 25,833 Thanks
    Redx
    • 9th May 18, 9:01 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:01 PM
    I would have thought its for a vehicle registered to yourself that incurred a parking charge that was never paid

TRETHOWANS will have acted as solicitors for the trust and issued an MCOL, a court claim against you which you have failed to deal with , leading to a default judgement , a CCJ

if you know nothing about this, it will cost you 255 for a set aside , read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread about set asides etc, near the top of this forum

if this isnt paid (or set aside) , your credit rating will be trashed for 6 years, so it is important

I would say that the document is genuine, especially if it originated from the CCBC in Northampton (the government central office for court claims)
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • josean
    • By josean 9th May 18, 9:06 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    josean
    • 9th May 18, 9:06 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:06 PM
    Did you receive any paperwork from the court before this? Before a ccj is issued there is usually a mountain of paperwork. Have you received absolutely nothing?

If so you should be able to get a set aside. Look at the top of this board for a thread that tells Newbies to read it first. In that thread is an explanation of the court process including getting a set aside.
    Originally posted by waamo
    I havent received any other correspondence no.
    • josean
    • By josean 9th May 18, 9:10 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    josean
    • 9th May 18, 9:10 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:10 PM
    I would have thought its for a vehicle registered to yourself that incurred a parking charge that was never paid

TRETHOWANS will have acted as solicitors for the trust and issued an MCOL, a court claim against you which you have failed to deal with , leading to a default judgement , a CCJ

if you know nothing about this, it will cost you 255 for a set aside , read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread about set asides etc, near the top of this forum

if this isnt paid (or set aside) , your credit rating will be trashed for 6 years, so it is important

I would say that the document is genuine, especially if it originated from the CCBC in Northampton (the government central office for court claims)
    Originally posted by Redx
    Thanks. The address on the envelope is :- CCMCC, PO BOX 527, Salford, M5 0BY
    • Redx
    • By Redx 9th May 18, 9:12 PM
    • 20,494 Posts
    • 25,833 Thanks
    Redx
    • 9th May 18, 9:12 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:12 PM
    then you need to figure out why the court and solicitors knew your current address for this CCJ yet never got any of the mountains of paperwork to you, including the parking charge , reminders , debt collector letters, court papers etc

start with any vehicle you had at the time , could it have incurred a pcn ? is that vehicle registered in your name at your current address etc

there has to be a reason why the paperwork never got to you until now, which is what you will need for a judge to set it aside

that address is the MANUAL HANDLING CENTRE in SALFORD , so its one of the 2 court case offices that deal with these claims, so it will be genuine

google it if you dont believe me
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • josean
    • By josean 9th May 18, 9:15 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    josean
    • 9th May 18, 9:15 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:15 PM
    then you need to figure out why the court and solicitors knew your current address for this CCJ yet never got any of the mountains of paperwork to you, including the parking charge , reminders , debt collector letters, court papers etc

start with any vehicle you had at the time , could it have incurred a pcn ? is that vehicle registered in your name at your current address etc

there has to be a reason why the paperwork never got to you until now, which is what you will need for a judge to set it aside

that address is the MANUAL HANDLING CENTRE in SALFORD , so its one of the 2 court case offices that deal with these claims, so it will be genuine

google it if you dont believe me
    I have been away for a few months abroad but still hadnt any correspondence relating to parking fines etc.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 9th May 18, 9:16 PM
    • 20,494 Posts
    • 25,833 Thanks
    Redx
    • 9th May 18, 9:16 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:16 PM
    well if you dont do what I said then how are you going to convince a judge to set it aside for you ?

especially when its clear that the court has your current address ?
    Newbies !!
    • josean
    • By josean 9th May 18, 10:07 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    josean
    • 9th May 18, 10:07 PM
    • 9th May 18, 10:07 PM
    well if you dont do what I said then how are you going to convince a judge to set it aside for you ?

especially when its clear that the court has your current address ?
    Ok. There is more... My wife has just informed me that she left the car outside A&E and got a ticket and threw it away, and subsequently received letters relating to the matter but threw them away also, as she didnt want to worry me. Great! It would appear there is nothing much that I can do (vehicle registered to me) but pay the debt now. Thanks for the input.
    • josean
    • By josean 9th May 18, 10:09 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    josean
    I take it that it is too late to appeal the case at this stage then and if I pay then nothing will be recorded against my credit rating?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 9th May 18, 10:13 PM
    • 11,442 Posts
    • 11,971 Thanks
    KeithP
    What is the date of the CCJ?

If you pay within a month of the judgment, then it will be removed from the register.
    • josean
    • By josean 9th May 18, 10:14 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    josean
    What is the date of the CCJ?

If you pay within a month of the judgment, then it will be removed from the register.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Letter dated 4th May
    Do I need to do anything more than just pay the debt?
    • josean
    • By josean 9th May 18, 10:17 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    josean
    Am I to just post a cheque to the address on letter or find the telephone number and call them to arrange payment?
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 9th May 18, 10:18 PM
    • 4,162 Posts
    • 4,951 Thanks
    Johno100
    Ok. There is more... My wife has just informed me that she left the car outside A&E and got a ticket and threw it away, and subsequently received letters relating to the matter but threw them away also, as she didnt want to worry me. Great! It would appear there is nothing much that I can do (vehicle registered to me) but pay the debt now. Thanks for the input.
    Originally posted by josean
    You mean get your missus to pay it don't you? She's the one who's caused it to get to this stage without you knowing.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 9th May 18, 10:18 PM
    • 11,442 Posts
    • 11,971 Thanks
    KeithP
    You need to pay the Claimant and get a receipt.
    It might be a good idea to send a SAE for the return of a receipt.

Inform the court that payment has been made. Show them the receipt.

I believe the Claimant should inform the court, but it is in your interest to make sure the court knows in a timely manner.
    Last edited by KeithP; 09-05-2018 at 10:21 PM.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 9th May 18, 10:24 PM
    • 20,494 Posts
    • 25,833 Thanks
    Redx
    as above, pay it , get a receipt , show receipt to the court so the CCJ can be removed or wiped or whatever from the register

ensure this is done and if necessary check that NO ccj is registered against you by using trustpilot or similar

its far to late to appeal anything, the only other action is a set aside where you pay 255 and ask a judge to set it aside so you can fight the original court claim, this may or may not be granted by the judge and they may or may not allow you to get the 255 back

given that the address used was correct then you may have difficulty in setting it aside

I think you need to pay and get the CCJ expunged so it does not affect your credit rating for 6 years

a harsh lesson and your ladyship needs a reality check
    Newbies !!
    • josean
    • By josean 9th May 18, 10:27 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    josean
    You mean get your missus to pay it don't you? She's the one who's caused it to get to this stage without you knowing.
    Originally posted by Johno100
    Ha ha. Yes. true.
    No, in all seriousness it was a very stressful ordeal for all involved and I am lucky to be alive.
    • josean
    • By josean 9th May 18, 10:29 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    josean
    You need to pay the Claimant and get a receipt.
    It might be a good idea to send a SAE for the return of a receipt.

Inform the court that payment has been made. Show them the receipt.

I believe the Claimant should inform the court, but it is in your interest to make sure the court knows in a timely manner.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    How do I show the court the receipt?
    • josean
    • By josean 9th May 18, 10:30 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    josean
    as above, pay it , get a receipt , show receipt to the court so the CCJ can be removed or wiped or whatever from the register

ensure this is done and if necessary check that NO ccj is registered against you by using trustpilot or similar

its far to late to appeal anything, the only other action is a set aside where you pay 255 and ask a judge to set it aside so you can fight the original court claim, this may or may not be granted by the judge and they may or may not allow you to get the 255 back

given that the address used was correct then you may have difficulty in setting it aside

I think you need to pay and get the CCJ expunged so it does not affect your credit rating for 6 years

a harsh lesson and your ladyship needs a reality check
    Thanks.
    Hindsight, I take it that I would have had the opportunity to appeal if pursued correctly?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 9th May 18, 10:31 PM
    • 11,442 Posts
    • 11,971 Thanks
    KeithP
    How do I show the court the receipt?
    Originally posted by josean
    Why not ring them and ask them that question?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

271Posts Today

1,409Users online

Martin's Twitter