Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mikefearn83
    • By mikefearn83 9th May 18, 8:42 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mikefearn83
    Plug Sockets when moving house
    • 9th May 18, 8:42 PM
    Plug Sockets when moving house 9th May 18 at 8:42 PM
    Hello,
    I need a little advice please. I am soon to move house with the sale coming to its final stages ready for exchange. About 2 years ago we fitted a very large number of chrome plug sockets and light switches all around the house. Ideally we would love to take these and we have all the original white sockets in the garage still. We would not be leaving anything that didnt work etc.
    The buyers have probably seen the metal switches but have never spoken about them and when completing the fixtures and fittings form, we just ticked included on the sockets section.
    Would it be ok to replace the switches for the original white ones and leave everything fully safe and working, or would I have to declare the removal of the metal ones. Obviously it would have no affect on the workings of the plugs, lights etc, and given we spent around £500 on these we would like the chance to take them.
    I know for light fittings it just said that no bare wires can be left and a standard rose fitting is perfectly acceptable if taking the existing lights.

Thank you.

Mike.
    Last edited by mikefearn83; 09-05-2018 at 8:44 PM. Reason: to add info
Page 1
    • redux
    • By redux 9th May 18, 8:48 PM
    • 18,665 Posts
    • 24,952 Thanks
    redux
    • 9th May 18, 8:48 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:48 PM
    I suspect that the labour charges for swapping them all over would cost more than buying yourself new ones for the new house.

On top of that, the buyers have seen the house with these in. I'm not an expert on the small details of house buying or selling, so I could be wrong, but a wild guess is I would expect that unless you've specified these are excluded from the goodwill, fixtures and fittings, or whatever it's called, they should be staying there.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 9th May 18, 8:53 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,491 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 9th May 18, 8:53 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:53 PM
    I suspect that the labour charges for swapping them all over would cost more than buying yourself new ones for the new house.
    Originally posted by redux
    DIY, a few mins a socket. No cost.

But OP, it depends on what you have put on the form saying what you will leave. You should have removed them before viewing. Though 99% of people will not moan. Have you got the 1%?
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 9th May 18, 8:56 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 9th May 18, 8:56 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:56 PM
    Why not contact the new owners to be, explain that you want to take the chrome switchgear but they will all be replaced with standard white ones, and see if they are okay with this? They may be fine, they may jib and thus some financial negotiation may have to take place. But if they're happy with white (they may secretly have hated your taste in switchgear and wanted to switch it out at first opportunity) you've saved a lot of worry.
    • mikefearn83
    • By mikefearn83 9th May 18, 8:57 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mikefearn83
    • 9th May 18, 8:57 PM
    • 9th May 18, 8:57 PM
    I changed all the sockets 2 years anyway, im in no way an electrician but I know how to ensure a socket is safe for use. Saying that I do understand the regs these days with electrics. To be fair we do have the 1% given the hard work they have been, but alot of the sockets were not on show anyway so wouldn't have seen these when viewing. Also not seen on the property listing
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 9th May 18, 9:06 PM
    • 31,452 Posts
    • 60,594 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 9th May 18, 9:06 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:06 PM
    I personally would just buy new ones for the new house. However I don't think it is wrong to take them, as long as all is made safe.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 9th May 18, 9:08 PM
    • 17,851 Posts
    • 9,633 Thanks
    ACG
    • 9th May 18, 9:08 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:08 PM
    99% would not complain? Rubbish!
    99% WOULD complain. I would and I am pretty laid back.
    I would make it clear on the form you fill out for your solicitors that plug sockets etc will be swapped for white ones. If not, you are asking for an argument with solicitors - you could well win, but is it worth the hassle?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • pink_pirlie
    • By pink_pirlie 9th May 18, 9:11 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    pink_pirlie
    • 9th May 18, 9:11 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:11 PM
    As a buyer I didnít take any notice of the switches when we did the viewing but thatís not to say your buyers didnít. I would check with them if they are difficult.

Our seller was the awful 1% and took everything, even things they said they were leaving and left us with a dirty, dusty cobweb filled house they didnít bother to clean.
    We have just lumped it as it isnít worth the cost of chasing it.
    The worst dog us was the ďgas fireĒ that we were later told didnít work - I queried why through the solicitors - told it was because a part needed replacing. When we finally got in the ďpartĒ that needed replacing was the actual fire bit. There was 5.5 months between offer and completion and we have idea when they took it out or what they did with it. But definitely twisting the truth.
    • mikefearn83
    • By mikefearn83 9th May 18, 9:13 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mikefearn83
    • 9th May 18, 9:13 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:13 PM
    thank you for all the help. we will have a think about whats best. I think I know the answer, unfortunately!.

Mike
    • cooltt
    • By cooltt 9th May 18, 9:14 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    cooltt
    99% would not complain? Rubbish!
    99% WOULD complain. I would and I am pretty laid back.
    I would make it clear on the form you fill out for your solicitors that plug sockets etc will be swapped for white ones. If not, you are asking for an argument with solicitors - you could well win, but is it worth the hassle?
    Originally posted by ACG
    This^^^^^^most people would most definately notice!
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 9th May 18, 9:15 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,522 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    You've answered your own question:

The buyers have probably seen the metal switches but have never spoken about them and when completing the fixtures and fittings form, we just ticked included on the sockets section.
    Originally posted by mikefearn83
    No, you can't take them. The TA10 Fittings and Contents Form comprises part of the contract. Failure to hand over all items agreed in that form would comprise a breach of contract on your behalf. You would be liable for any costs resulting from this.

Buy new faceplates for your new house.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 9th May 18, 9:17 PM
    • 17,851 Posts
    • 9,633 Thanks
    ACG
    thank you for all the help. we will have a think about whats best. I think I know the answer, unfortunately!.

Mike
    Im not saying dont take them, I am just saying be clear about the fact you are taking them.

If I went to view a house and then it was different when I moved in, I would be really annoyed.

If you changed the kitchen cupboard doors for example, is that ok?
    What about changing the carpets? I know they are obviously bigger and will stand out more, but where is the cut off?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • mikefearn83
    • By mikefearn83 9th May 18, 9:18 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mikefearn83
    Im not saying dont take them, I am just saying be clear about the fact you are taking them.

If I went to view a house and then it was different when I moved in, I would be really annoyed.

If you changed the kitchen cupboard doors for example, is that ok?
    What about changing the carpets? I know they are obviously bigger and will stand out more, but where is the cut off?
    Originally posted by ACG
    this is exactly it. im a fair person and wouldn't want people to be unhappy, especially if it provides the extra headache to us.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 9th May 18, 9:20 PM
    • 1,893 Posts
    • 7,537 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    I think it'd be a bit mean and I'd buy new ones
    Jan 18 grocery challenge £105.13/ £150
    • mikefearn83
    • By mikefearn83 9th May 18, 9:21 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mikefearn83
    Originally posted by BrassicWoman
    I suppose its a small cost given the £ we are about to spend on the property
    • franklee
    • By franklee 9th May 18, 9:24 PM
    • 3,758 Posts
    • 4,052 Thanks
    franklee
    Would it be ok to replace the switches for the original white ones and leave everything fully safe and working, or would I have to declare the removal of the metal ones.
    Why did you tick included if you want to remove them? I would expect the fixtures and fittings to be in the house as seen during viewings if the form specified they are included. When filling in the form you could have ticked no and added to be replaced with original white. That said we have silly chrome fittings here and I want them back to white so suggest you try asking the buyer. If they don't agree then you should stick by the form for everything YOU ticked was to remain!
    • mikefearn83
    • By mikefearn83 9th May 18, 9:25 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mikefearn83
    Why did you tick included if you want to remove them? I would expect the fixtures and fittings to be in the house as seen during viewings if the form specified they are included. When filling in the form you could have ticked no and added to be replaced with original white. That said we have silly chrome fittings here and I want them back to white so suggest you try asking the buyer. If they don't agree then you should stick by the form for everything YOU ticked was to remain!
    Originally posted by franklee
    it was a later thought to be honest.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 9th May 18, 9:33 PM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    sevenhills
    I changed all the sockets 2 years anyway, im in no way an electrician but I know how to ensure a socket is safe for use. Saying that I do understand the regs these days with electrics.
    So you will be giving the buyer the completed Electrical Installation Certificates (EICs).

• Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 9th May 18, 9:33 PM
    • 3,636 Posts
    • 9,682 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Originally posted by BrassicWoman
    I agree. Technically you could but it seems really off to me and I wouldn't think much of you for it.
    • pink_pirlie
    • By pink_pirlie 9th May 18, 10:03 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    pink_pirlie
    Seeing all you guys say you would complain has made me realise I am being far too soft! So that!!!8217;s for the thread Op!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,097Posts Today

7,119Users online

Martin's Twitter