Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 9th May 18, 10:09 AM
    • 2,825Posts
    • 468Thanks
    stphnstevey
    Accounting for YouInvest LISA fees
    • 9th May 18, 10:09 AM
    Accounting for YouInvest LISA fees 9th May 18 at 10:09 AM
    YouInvest LISA fees for shares are 0.25%/yr, split over four quarters and capped at 7.50/quarter (30/yr)

They currently do not allow the fees to be paid by debit card or from another account

I have been told if there is not cash in the account they will communicate that the fees are due and the account will go into a negative balance. If not paid (in an unspecified amount of time), they will sell the investments to pay for the fees at the 29.95 telephone dealing charge

I plan to add to the LISA each year, so new money will be added each year

I plan to use the regular investment as a one off investment of the entire amount at a cost of 1.50

I plan to only buy shares, as you can only buy whole shares and the buy cost is not confirmed till traded, the cost is not known and I can only estimate this

The fee is a % of the value, but I dont know how much the investment value might change during the year

How much cash should I set aside for fees?
    Should I simply do 0.25% of the money invested and be done with it?
Page 1
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 9th May 18, 10:21 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    Zorillo
    • 9th May 18, 10:21 AM
    • 9th May 18, 10:21 AM
    I'm setting 20.50 aside for this year's fees (was 25 but I've incurred 3x dealing charges at 1.50 due to carelessness) which I think is a bit conservative but should allow for some growth. I will then set aside slight more next year, etc. (Based on a 5k investment including the bonus)
    Last edited by Zorillo; 09-05-2018 at 10:24 AM.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 9th May 18, 10:35 AM
    • 4,421 Posts
    • 5,645 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 9th May 18, 10:35 AM
    • 9th May 18, 10:35 AM
    Your shares will pay dividends?
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 9th May 18, 11:03 AM
    • 8,164 Posts
    • 14,919 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 9th May 18, 11:03 AM
    • 9th May 18, 11:03 AM
    The easiest thing is maybe to just retain a cash float of a tenner or so which is always going to be higher than the next quarterly 7.50 charge. Or if investing all at the beginning of a tax year, so you need to "survive" longer than a quarter, retain enough to cover the fee with a buffer to spare until you get to the next tax year and can top it up again.

Retaining 0.25% of whatever you just invested is potentially flawed as by the time you get to year two you are investing what you just invested but you're also continuing to invest what you had invested the previous year and the charge is on the whole balance rather than what you just invested right now, so you'll need a greater holdback than what you'd just get by holding back 0.25% on the new money being invested at that point.

The lost performance from having even 30 idle for half a tax year is only a pound or so (assuming 6-7% returns) so leaving money on hand for fees isnt going to destroy your performance. As you say, there will always be a little bit left over naturally from each purchase due to your purchases not being able to buy fractional shares, but erring on the side of caution probably isn't going to hurt you too much so a complicated plan is probably unnecessary. Just project an estimated "worst case scenario" for fees (based on best case scenario for investment growth, and knowing there's a cap after 12k) and hold some money back based on when you next think you'll get around to funding the account again.

Better to hold money back than be forced to sell to get cash (or worse, for them to sell at their discretion at a high charge rate), so some over-caution is probably ok.

Having incoming dividends will help (which is how my mum finances her fees on a tiny sipp) but the divs won't arrive evenly through the year so need to be combined with some sort of cash float.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,509Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin