Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 8th May 18, 10:27 PM
    • 94Posts
    • 10Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    Would you take a punt on a car without mot?
    • 8th May 18, 10:27 PM
    Would you take a punt on a car without mot? 8th May 18 at 10:27 PM
    Old vw, few hundred quid? Mot expired December 2017. Passed previous mot.

Weird issue is, just seen the last mot test December 2016 shows vehicle having 30k more miles than what the DEALER has put down on eBay/Auto trader..
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 8th May 18, 11:08 PM
    • 27,572 Posts
    • 11,162 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 8th May 18, 11:08 PM
    • 8th May 18, 11:08 PM
    Why would a dealer sell a car with no MOT???

Sub £40 for the MOT and sell it for £££ more...?
    Last edited by forgotmyname; 08-05-2018 at 11:17 PM.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 8th May 18, 11:55 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    • 8th May 18, 11:55 PM
    • 8th May 18, 11:55 PM
    That's what I've messaged them to ask...

Then I found out about the mileage discrepancy (mistake?) When digging further.

Though the car is listed for 500, I'm not sure they'd get much or anymore with mot. Without mot should be scrap value really
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th May 18, 4:29 AM
    • 3,546 Posts
    • 2,620 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 9th May 18, 4:29 AM
    • 9th May 18, 4:29 AM
    Why would a dealer sell a car with no MOT???

Sub £40 for the MOT and sell it for £££ more...?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Sub £40 for the MOT but the time and hassle to go through it all which costs them money in labour and then have to fix anything found in order to be able to sell it. Better to sell without MOT for spares.

I've bought P/X with no MOT before and as long as you know what you're looking for its not a problem. Last one I bought only needed a rear exhaust section to pass. Remember that once the vehicle has left the MOT station on the day of the test the MOT is a worthless bit of paper for ascertaining whether the vehicle is a good one or not, you should never let the fact a vehicle has a MOT decide for you the car is mechanically sound or safe.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 9th May 18, 5:44 AM
    • 13,626 Posts
    • 8,641 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 9th May 18, 5:44 AM
    • 9th May 18, 5:44 AM
    Depends on the dealer. If they sell decent near new cars they'll have no interest in a banger on their books. If they sell sub £1k cars then highly likely they've inspected it and found too many issues.

500 quid on an old golf with no mot sounds a lot. but then we don't know what car it is.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th May 18, 6:55 AM
    • 17,296 Posts
    • 10,440 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 9th May 18, 6:55 AM
    • 9th May 18, 6:55 AM
    A dealer cant legally sell a car to a retail customer that is not roadworthy, so hes going to be taking a chance with writing stuff like "for spares and repairs only" etc over the invoice.

Makes me think he knows more than you do if hes not getting a cheap MOT on it to make £££s more.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 9th May 18, 7:01 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 1,336 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 9th May 18, 7:01 AM
    • 9th May 18, 7:01 AM
    A dealer cant legally sell a car to a retail customer that is not roadworthy
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Of course they can! Just need to make sure you either don't drive away in it or are insured and going to a mot. Yes it means more checks for them but of course they can do it.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 9th May 18, 7:44 AM
    • 7,834 Posts
    • 7,188 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 9th May 18, 7:44 AM
    • 9th May 18, 7:44 AM
    Sub £40 for the MOT but the time and hassle to go through it all which costs them money in labour and then have to fix anything found in order to be able to sell it. Better to sell without MOT for spares.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    It shouldn't be that much hassle sending it for an MOT, to at least see what's wrong with it. Presumably would cost most dealers less to sort than most punters too. So it's more likely something serious wrong and they are selling it for parts.

Plus it's MOT expired in December, so it's been sat around for 5+ months at this point.

It'd need to be special for me to consider it. If you're still tempted then you should see if they'll let you take it somewhere for a dummy MOT (I suspect they won't want a real MOT or the failures will be recorded).
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 9th May 18, 7:48 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 9th May 18, 7:48 AM
    • 9th May 18, 7:48 AM
    Yes I've bought a couple of cars without MOT (but they were classics which I intended to rebuild anyway).
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th May 18, 8:14 AM
    • 18,366 Posts
    • 16,592 Thanks
    AdrianC
    A dealer cant legally sell a car to a retail customer that is not roadworthy
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Of course they can! Just need to make sure you either don't drive away in it
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    Yes...

or are insured and going to a mot.
    No...

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/75
    If it's being driven away, it MUST be roadworthy, else the seller is committing an offence.

If it's unroadworthy, then it cannot legally be driven, even to an MOT, else the driver is committing an offence.

That applies to private sellers, too, except that traders can't even advertise unroadworthy cars without being very clear about the fact.

No MOT does not mean unroadworthy, any more than valid MOT = definitely roadworthy. It even says that latter bit on the test certificate.
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 9th May 18, 9:16 AM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 2,177 Thanks
    mollycat
    Buy a car with no MOT?

Yes, many times, but.....

1. Very careful and thorough inspection needed, remember to think about stuff that isn't covered by an MOT as well.

2. Never in a million years for anything like £500...too much of a "punt". (for me).

3. And always from a private sale, never from a dealer.

I'm in the "sounds odd, why wouldn't they just MOT it" camp; but hey, what do I know!

Good luck
    Last edited by mollycat; 09-05-2018 at 9:16 AM. Reason: typo
    • davidwood681
    • By davidwood681 9th May 18, 9:39 AM
    • 621 Posts
    • 1,830 Thanks
    davidwood681
    Buy a car with no MOT?

Yes, many times, but.....

1. Very careful and thorough inspection needed, remember to think about stuff that isn't covered by an MOT as well.

2. Never in a million years for anything like £500...too much of a "punt". (for me).

3. And always from a private sale, never from a dealer.

I'm in the "sounds odd, why wouldn't they just MOT it" camp; but hey, what do I know!

Good luck
    Originally posted by mollycat
    So you'd turn down a MK1 Golf GTi would you?

As said above, we don't know what the car is so to give advice like that might be foolish
    • facade
    • By facade 9th May 18, 9:46 AM
    • 3,445 Posts
    • 1,807 Thanks
    facade
    Originally posted by davidwood681

If it was as rotten as a pear/bent like a non-EEC banana, and the engine was clapped out yes, unless the logbook and the VIN plate are worth a lot more than £500
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 9th May 18, 10:09 AM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 2,177 Thanks
    mollycat

As said above, we don't know what the car is so to give advice like that might be foolish
    Originally posted by davidwood681
    1. It's not "advice", just points really. I would never presume to be enough of an authority for the folks here to give regard to anything I say. I just contribute on threads that catch my attention.

2. On the same same vein, did you not notice where I said, "but what do I know"

Thanks for keeping me right though, jeez what a fool I was for posting
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 9th May 18, 6:26 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    It's a mk4 GTI

Btw, suprised no one commented on what looks like clocked mileage. That's as much a concern

Tried to call the dealer, number seems to be not in use. So there I have my answer.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 9th May 18, 6:53 PM
    • 7,834 Posts
    • 7,188 Thanks
    Herzlos
    It's more likely to be an entry error than clocked mileage. You'd need to check the paperwork carefully to find out.

Car dealers don't do bargains. If it's worth more with an MOT then it'll have an MOT.

He could be trying to sell it to someone who wants the parts or the VIN to put on something else, rather than stripping it for parts.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 9th May 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 1,336 Thanks
    Carrot007
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/75
    If it's being driven away, it MUST be roadworthy, else the seller is committing an offence.

If it's unroadworthy, then it cannot legally be driven, even to an MOT, else the driver is committing an offence.

That applies to private sellers, too, except that traders can't even advertise unroadworthy cars without being very clear about the fact.

No MOT does not mean unroadworthy, any more than valid MOT = definitely roadworthy. It even says that latter bit on the test certificate.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Even if they claim to not know it is unroadworthy?

I mean yes, 100% they know as they would get an MOT and sell for more, but there is no proof.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 9th May 18, 10:04 PM
    • 7,834 Posts
    • 7,188 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Wouldn't the dealer be deemed an expert and thus be expected to know if it's roadworthy or not? Did they really buy the car and stick it on the forecourt without inspecting it?
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 9th May 18, 10:07 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 487 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    It's a mk4 GTI

Btw, suprised no one commented on what looks like clocked mileage. That's as much a concern

Tried to call the dealer, number seems to be not in use. So there I have my answer.
    Originally posted by moneysaverz83
    Dealer not MOTing a car, dealer number not in use and a cockup on the ad about mileage? None of those things on their own say walk away but viewed as a combination there's enough doubt in my mind to look elsewhere and leave this one.
    • markudman
    • By markudman 9th May 18, 11:04 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    markudman
    If your asking the question then it may not be for you, £500 for an old golf sounds a lot, what year is it ?
    We may not win by protesting, but if we donít protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

212Posts Today

1,455Users online

Martin's Twitter