Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KingMob
    • By KingMob 7th May 18, 10:05 PM
    • 52Posts
    • 7Thanks
    KingMob
    Made an offer, still waiting 3 weeks later.
    • #1
    • 7th May 18, 10:05 PM
    Made an offer, still waiting 3 weeks later. 7th May 18 at 10:05 PM
    FTB, looking to buy after renting for a long time. Have talked to bank as well as broker and finance side isn't an issue but finding the right place has been a pain.

    Most properties within 2-3 miles seem to be selling in 3-4 weeks and going for 10-15% over asking price which is still within my budget. Viewed a property almost 3 weeks ago, listed a few days prior and good location. Offered asking price and heard nothing for more than a week, chased it up and was told I'd hear back last week. Asked if this was going to drag on for 3-4 weeks and was told no. Disappointed when i got a call from the EA late last Wednesday to tell me that the sellers have gone on holiday for a week. As far as I'm aware no other offers have been placed and local property websites are showing interest has been tailed off for last week or so.

    Sellers are an elderly couple who want to move in with nearby relatives. They've lived in the house for 40 years, so I can understand have some attachment. I have a rental agreement that expires at the end of July so I'd like to make some progress sooner rather than later.

    Been viewing other properties and have found one that fits my criteria, although the owner is planning to make a decision in next few days. It's around the same size, recently done up, great location but more expensive (15% more although still within my budget).

    Not getting a response to my offer seems like a warning sign that the process will not be smooth. The same EA listed another house within spitting distance several days after I made my offer and it's Sale Agreed already. Should I cut my losses and withdraw my offer or is there anything else people would recommend?
Page 2
    • Bass_9
    • By Bass_9 12th May 18, 10:04 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Bass_9
    I think you're doing the right thing as disappointing as this is. However, onwards and upwards... You never know a better house may come up, it's funny how things can work out like that. Good luck for future house hunting.

    Re. The quality of estate agents, totally agree. There are a couple of houses we recently wanted to view, rang to request a viewing and never heard back from them... despite being FTB's with finance in place and effectively ready to go. Now these houses have been reduced! I guess the vendors aren't aware they're incompetent, I would be fuming if I were them. If anyone wonders why we didn't ring again, other houses came on the market and we made those ones a priority instead, can't be bothered to chase the bloody EA's for a viewing.

    If we ever sell a house i know which ones to avoid like the plague, it's been good homework.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

173Posts Today

1,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

  • RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

  • Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

  • Follow Martin