Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shabbycat
    • By Shabbycat 7th May 18, 9:12 AM
    • 22Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Shabbycat
    Moving back home from abroad
    • 7th May 18, 9:12 AM
    Moving back home from abroad 7th May 18 at 9:12 AM
    My father who is 86 is a UK citizen living with his wife in Florida. She is a US citizen but may have dual nationality as she was born in the UK (age 90). We want to bring them back to England as with age they have grown very isolated. They both have health problems and would need to go into residential care. They have some savings, a house to sell and pensions.Having looked at the cost of suitable care homes (10k per month), with family chipping in we anticipate they have enough money to last two to three years. Can anybody tell me when they would be entitled to local authority assistance with the care home fees due to them having lived in the US for thirty years. I appreciate their saving would have to fall below the 23,500 threshold. Thank you.
Page 2
    • gien
    • By gien 14th May 18, 6:18 AM
    • 1,618 Posts
    • 15,457 Thanks
    gien
    We returned from living abroad recently and were not considered as habitually resident until we'd been here for 6 months.
    Trying to keep in budget.

• Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 14th May 18, 10:14 PM
    • 24,531 Posts
    • 97,447 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Thank you for your reply. I agree, I think they need to come over and see what happens. I fully appreciate that there will be differing views about this and can understand why. My Dad has been in ill health since his forties and was one of the factors in moving abroad in the first place. His wife's family are in a position to fund her care when they run out of money so is less of an issue. Unfortunately my contribution won't be sufficient to fully meet the gap between his pension and the cost. Unfortunately due to his ill health, L.A. funding may not even come into play.
    US has not been ruled out yet, we are still exploring options but feel having family near them in the last couple of years would be good for them.
    Originally posted by Shabbycat
    Would it be wise for an elderly man with emphysema/COPD to even attempt a 9-10 hour flight in the first place? A pressurised cabin isn't exactly the best place for breathing easily (ex FIL was in that situation at 62 and nearly died on a 4 hour flight - no idea whether that was the result of his disease already progressing or whether it caused a major exacerbation, but he was in hospital again within three months and dropped dead two months later from heart failure). If either of them became ill shortly after departure, the resultant flight diversion and/or admission into hospital could be extremely expensive - or, if the worst should happen, the spouse has to continue their journey in the most awful circumstances. You don't say what medical issues his wife has, but they could equally make it unsafe to fly long haul.

Don't forget that we also have cold, damp miserable weather for all but about 3 weeks in the year, whereas Florida has warmth and sunshine (along with storms and the occasional hurricane, admittedly)
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

312Posts Today

3,582Users online

Martin's Twitter