Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 25th Apr 18, 4:32 PM
    • 1,031Posts
    • 236Thanks
    tazwhoever
    ESA - Medical evidence
    • 25th Apr 18, 4:32 PM
    ESA - Medical evidence 25th Apr 18 at 4:32 PM
    When reassessment for ESA is due, do I just send clinical letters from hospitals or can I include letters for MRI, blood tests, outpatients appointments too?

Thanks
Page 1
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 25th Apr 18, 4:39 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 3,351 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 25th Apr 18, 4:39 PM
    • 25th Apr 18, 4:39 PM
    When reassessment for ESA is due, do I just send clinical letters from hospitals or can I include letters for MRI, blood tests, outpatients appointments too?

Thanks
    Originally posted by tazwhoever
    You need to send evidence to support what you have said on the form about your medical condition

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/fill-in-form/medical-evidence/

Appointment letters, for example, wouldn't normally provide that
    • venison
    • By venison 25th Apr 18, 11:13 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 2,846 Thanks
    venison
    • 25th Apr 18, 11:13 PM
    • 25th Apr 18, 11:13 PM
    They usually ask that evidence is no more than 2 years old, BUT if its more than that and relevant I would still send it.
    Thanks for stopping by, have a good day/night/week/weekend/life
    • micky2phones
    • By micky2phones 26th Apr 18, 2:04 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    micky2phones
    • 26th Apr 18, 2:04 AM
    • 26th Apr 18, 2:04 AM
    You need to send evidence to support what you have said on the form about your medical condition

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/fill-in-form/medical-evidence/

Originally posted by NeilCr
    Hi, just a quick question you say appointments normally dont count.
    So would a Hosptial letter explaining what was talked about at my appointment count ? Above this it states my Health issues.

Thank you
    • Ames
    • By Ames 26th Apr 18, 2:19 AM
    • 17,696 Posts
    • 31,277 Thanks
    Ames
    • 26th Apr 18, 2:19 AM
    • 26th Apr 18, 2:19 AM
    Hi, just a quick question you say appointments normally dont count.
    So would a Hosptial letter explaining what was talked about at my appointment count ? Above this it states my Health issues.

Thank you
    Originally posted by micky2phones
    Yes that would be useful evidence to send. Just the letter saying you have an appointment on x day in y clinic wouldn't be any good.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • micky2phones
    • By micky2phones 26th Apr 18, 6:13 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    micky2phones
    • 26th Apr 18, 6:13 AM
    • 26th Apr 18, 6:13 AM
    Yes that would be useful evidence to send. Just the letter saying you have an appointment on x day in y clinic wouldn't be any good.
    Originally posted by Ames
    Thank you, IMO its always better to have other people opinion not just your own.
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 11th May 18, 4:00 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    • 11th May 18, 4:00 PM
    • 11th May 18, 4:00 PM
    I am currently on CB ESA (support) for the past few years, today I have received reassessment form (ESA50).

Do I need to send the past medical clinical letters with the new ones I have received or just the new ones (past few years)?

After sending off the ESA50 form, how long do I need to wait for the decision?

Thanks,
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 11th May 18, 4:02 PM
    • 3,800 Posts
    • 3,616 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 11th May 18, 4:02 PM
    • 11th May 18, 4:02 PM
    I am currently on CB ESA (support) for the past few years, today I have received reassessment form (ESA50).

Do I need to send the past medical clinical letters with the new ones I have received or just the new ones (past few years)?

After sending off the ESA50 form, how long do I need to wait for the decision?

Thanks,
    You need to send all of your evidence. There's no timescales but be prepared for another assessment. Good luck.
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 11th May 18, 4:52 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    • 11th May 18, 4:52 PM
    • 11th May 18, 4:52 PM
    You need to send all of your evidence. There's no timescales but be prepared for another assessment. Good luck.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Thanks, last time there was no F2F, hope it goes the same way. I see the new ESA50 is slightly changed from the old one that I received few years ago.
    • w06
    • By w06 11th May 18, 5:00 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    w06
    You can though only send as much as you have available, when I applied for ESA last year I only had a very brief letter confirming a diagnosis and disability (two different things) and that I'd need to work from home regularly from 3 years earlier, and another from a year earlier confirming I'm on home oxygen. I was put in support group without a face to face.

Ed to add, obviously not recommending that, but some of us only have very limited evidence and if that's the case that's all that can be sent
    Last edited by w06; 11-05-2018 at 5:26 PM.
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 11th May 18, 5:44 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    Last time it was ATOS (without F2F) and this time is www.chdauk.co.uk. Are the medical assessment harder or easier now?

I am scared being called for F2F, but have so far information on my conditions from hospitals.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 11th May 18, 5:54 PM
    • 2,567 Posts
    • 2,961 Thanks
    Alice Holt

Originally posted by NeilCr
    Agree with this.

Don't just send all letters. Read them carefully, and send them only if they support your case.

The DWP can use these letters to support their argument for refusing an award.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 11th May 18, 6:58 PM
    • 3,800 Posts
    • 3,616 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Last time it was ATOS (without F2F) and this time is www.chdauk.co.uk. Are the medical assessment harder or easier now?

I am scared being called for F2F, but have so far information on my conditions from hospitals.
    No assessment is easy. If you do have to attend one just give as much info as possible and avoid answering just a yes or no.
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 12th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    I need to return ESA50 in few weeks, can I send letters which I haven't received yet from hospital (secretary is busy) and letters that I receive after the return date of ESA50?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 12th May 18, 6:52 PM
    • 3,800 Posts
    • 3,616 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I need to return ESA50 in few weeks, can I send letters which I haven't received yet from hospital (secretary is busy) and letters that I receive after the return date of ESA50?
    You can yes but it's always better to send them with the form, otherwise the evidence may not be used. Is there no chance at all of receiving them before you send the form off?
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 12th May 18, 8:40 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    You can yes but it's always better to send them with the form, otherwise the evidence may not be used. Is there no chance at all of receiving them before you send the form off?
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    I have two appointments last week of this month, I need to send form first week next month. These letters, normally take 3 - 5 weeks after appointments. So I wouldn't have them.

So in this case, can I send them after sending the form?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 12th May 18, 9:29 PM
    • 3,800 Posts
    • 3,616 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I have two appointments last week of this month, I need to send form first week next month. These letters, normally take 3 - 5 weeks after appointments. So I wouldn't have them.

So in this case, can I send them after sending the form?
    As i previously stated yes you can but the evidence may not be used.

This happened to me in the past, i was waiting for evidence and sent it after the form was sent. It wasn't used because when you send the form, it's sent to the assessment providers along with all the evidence you send. When you send the evidence at a later date it may not be used.
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 12th May 18, 10:48 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    Poppy12345 - thank you
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 14th May 18, 11:20 AM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    Two questions please on (ESA50) -

Page 2 - Have you been in hospital for over 28 days in the last 12 months?

Is this being inpatient?

Page 7 - Are you having or waiting for any treatment which needs you to stay somewhere overnight or longer?

Is this being inpatient?

I attend many hospitals (scans, blood tests, etc) for my conditions every two months, but there isn't any likely for an operation.

If inpatient, then ticking NO would go against me?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 14th May 18, 2:22 PM
    • 3,800 Posts
    • 3,616 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Two questions please on (ESA50) -

Page 2 - Have you been in hospital for over 28 days in the last 12 months?

Is this being inpatient?

Page 7 - Are you having or waiting for any treatment which needs you to stay somewhere overnight or longer?

Is this being inpatient?

I attend many hospitals (scans, blood tests, etc) for my conditions every two months, but there isn't any likely for an operation.

If inpatient, then ticking NO would go against me?
    It means what it says, have you been in hospital for longer than 28 days. It doesn't mean hospital appointments.

You can't tick yes, if it doesn't apply to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,009Posts Today

7,247Users online

Martin's Twitter