Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • A0812
    • By A0812 17th Apr 18, 4:04 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    A0812
    Barclays questioning court order on payslip - advice please
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:04 PM
    Barclays questioning court order on payslip - advice please 17th Apr 18 at 4:04 PM
    Hi all,

My partner and I are currently applying for a mortgage via Barclays. It's well below our upper limit and both of us have good credit scores (both the same at 977/1000 on Experian and above average on Equifax) so we went in confident of it being accepted.

However, there is a discrepancy on my payslip that Barclays are questioning.

Quite a few years ago, I went through a rough patch and got myself in to some debt, obviously I've worked hard since to get myself out of that and everything I owed is now paid off. However, at that time, I was issued with a CCJ and had an attachment to earnings order. So each month, a certain amount would go from my payslip to pay this debt. Eventually (a couple of years ago) the debt was settled and because the CCJ is so old, it no longer appears on my credit report.

However, the pay team where I work listed this payment as a "court order" on my payslip, and have never removed that line (to be fair, I should have chased them about this earlier, but as it never affected anything, didn't bother - hindsight is a fine thing). The debt was settled when there was still 115 remaining to be paid, so my payslip reads -

COURT ORDER: Paid this month: 0, YTD: 115.

I haven't actually paid 115 this year, but the way they formatted my payslip meant that the YTD column was used to count down the remaining balance, rather than show how much has been paid.

Barclays have picked up on this and questioned it so now our Mortgage Advisor is asking me to provide the exact date the CCJ was registered, how much it was for and the exact date is was settled.

Problem is, I have none of that information - I've also looked on Trust Online and done some searches and nothing appears registered against me at multiple addresses. Also, if I'm honest, I feel like this info shouldn't necessarily need to be declared to Barclays anyway as this isn't on my credit file anymore... My preference would be to provide more payslips to show that no payments have been made in the last year, or to provide a letter from my pay department, stating that it was a mistake and should be removed.

So I guess 2 questions..

1) How bad does this look for our mortgage application?
    2) Am I being unreasonable in not wanting to declare very old debt to Barclays for consideration towards a financial decision based on our current standing?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Apr 18, 4:15 PM
    • 17,383 Posts
    • 15,723 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:15 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:15 PM
    You've already inadvertently "declared" it, via the line on your payslip.

Being evasive about it now is not exactly going to allay their fears, is it? Remember, they do not have to lend to you. If you start making them wonder what else you might be hiding, they're going to play it safe.

Be 100% open, honest and truthful. Tell them exactly what happened, when, and that you've learned your lesson. Explain how the line on your payslip is legacy, and how it doesn't actually mean what it says... You are going to have to produce some paperwork, obviously, to back your story up. Do you really have nothing at all? Do you have no clues from which to get some confirmation? Rough timescale, court location, creditor?
    • A0812
    • By A0812 17th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    A0812
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    Fair reply.

Absolutely none of the old paperwork - it really is a very long time ago so I've no memory of the creditor or court location etc...

The only thing I can think to do would be to get an approx date by going back through years of my payslips to find the month/year I begin paying it, and the month/year I stopped, which should correlate roughly to the register and set aside dates. I guess that'll be the only option lets to go with at this point.
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 17th Apr 18, 5:42 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:42 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 5:42 PM
    Can't your pay team give you information?

At the very least they should have a copy of the attachment of earnings order which will have the case number on it.
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 17th Apr 18, 8:07 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 661 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:07 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:07 PM
    You can go to https://www.trustonline.org.uk/index.php/search-yourself and pay a small fee to find your CCJ.

This will give you the date and claim number. I believe the report you receive also gives its current status - so in your case if you applied for a certificate to settle this should be recorded or if they received notification from the company owed the money the status will have been updated.

There is a small fee. Let us know how you get on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,695Posts Today

7,495Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin