Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bluffer
    • By bluffer 16th Apr 18, 9:26 PM
    • 443Posts
    • 457Thanks
    bluffer
    Recommend Me A New Web Based Email
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:26 PM
    Recommend Me A New Web Based Email 16th Apr 18 at 9:26 PM
    Hi

For a number of years I have been using a web based email but they have now decided that it is no longer free so I need a new one. Apart from Hotmail/Outlook, Gmail or Yahoo, which I dont want to use for various reasons, are there any others people would recommend?

I have heard gmx is ok but never heard of it so would be interested if anyone on here uses it.

Not fussed about having an app but secure, good spam filters, decent capacity/storage. Its for personal use and I'm not sending 1Tb video files or 500 emails a day so hopefully that helps.

Cheers
    2018 wins - zip so far
Page 1
    • Chino
    • By Chino 16th Apr 18, 9:37 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Chino
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:37 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:37 PM
    Apart from Hotmail/Outlook, Gmail or Yahoo, which I dont want to use for various reasons
    Originally posted by bluffer
    If you explained these reasons then it might save people suggesting alternatives that you immediately reject because you perceive them to suffer from the same disadvantages.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 16th Apr 18, 10:17 PM
    • 2,727 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:17 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 10:17 PM
    As far as GMX is concerned, I've been using it for years and find it to be excellent.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 17th Apr 18, 8:24 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    virgo17
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:24 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:24 AM
    Hi

I have heard gmx is ok but never heard of it so would be interested if anyone on here uses it.
    Another GMX user here. Have used it for several years without issue. Mobile app is a bit basic. SMTP and IMAP work fine to clients also.
    • that
    • By that 17th Apr 18, 8:40 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    that
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:40 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:40 AM
    Protonmail is awesome, you can even select how long the person can view the mail for.

https://tutanota.com/ is also quite good

both you do not have to hand over personal data like phone numbers etc.

"Gmail users have no "reasonable expectation" that their communications are confidential"
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/aug/14/google-gmail-users-privacy-email-lawsuit
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Apr 18, 9:22 AM
    • 19,903 Posts
    • 15,608 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:22 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 9:22 AM
    In the last few years I have switched my webmail allegiance from a mix of gmail and ymail to gmx. It's not completely ideal as the forwarding can be a bit unreliable, but if you want to use it as your primary mail service I think it would be fine.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 17th Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    • 7,341 Posts
    • 10,576 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    Zoho Mail is a provider I've been pretty happy with.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 17th Apr 18, 12:24 PM
    • 2,727 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:24 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:24 PM
    In the last few years I have switched my webmail allegiance from a mix of gmail and ymail to gmx. It's not completely ideal as the forwarding can be a bit unreliable, but if you want to use it as your primary mail service I think it would be fine.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Strange, I've never had any problem with forwarding.
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 17th Apr 18, 1:31 PM
    • 8,070 Posts
    • 5,839 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:31 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:31 PM
    I use GMX and never had any problems with it at all... Oh... except for multiple filter rules which didn't always seem to work quite right...

Otherwise, it's brilliant. Don't think I could be bothered to faff around with webmail when they provide IMAP and SMTP access, though.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Apr 18, 2:32 PM
    • 19,903 Posts
    • 15,608 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Strange, I've never had any problem with forwarding.
    Originally posted by RumRat
    It's possibly more what esuhl says, an issue with rules that I had set up to forward certain emails to my usual address, that didn't always work as expected.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 17th Apr 18, 7:41 PM
    • 795 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    There have been another couple of threads on the same subject (prompted by the demise of the Which? service in those cases) and I am one affected.

I agree with Bluffer about the 'generic' common services. I don't feel confident that they do not give rise to targeted adverts or that they do not harvest data. I would prefer to pay a bit if that increases security. Not sure if it really will, though!

As an example, I am putting this down to Gmail but could be wrong, I recently booked a flight got a confirmation to Gmail account and Google (I presume!) automatically, without asking or without me setting it up, added into my tablet's calendar. So I assume that emails are being monitored!
    If it's a setting somewhere then if you can advise how to stop it.....

That has never happened with Which? I don't feel inclined to use Gmail even more after my experience! I would guess others have similar issues!

Facebook messenger anyone.......
    • bluffer
    • By bluffer 17th Apr 18, 8:21 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    bluffer
    thanks all. will have a look at gmx.

Heedtheadvice. the same thing happens in hotmail/outlook. it somehow knows things and puts them into your calendar.
    2018 wins - zip so far
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 17th Apr 18, 8:31 PM
    • 8,070 Posts
    • 5,839 Thanks
    esuhl
    It's possibly more what esuhl says, an issue with rules that I had set up to forward certain emails to my usual address, that didn't always work as expected.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Ah, right! It's not just me, then! I played around with the filters for ages, but there's some broken logic in there somewhere. I gave up and use my email client to filter messages now (although that's not ideal when I log in from a different machine).
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 17th Apr 18, 8:34 PM
    • 8,070 Posts
    • 5,839 Thanks
    esuhl
    Oh -- one problem I keep having with GoogleMail is that IMAP access keeps failing and the logs show that I have to visit a URL in a browser to login instead of being able to use the email client.

It almost defeats the point of IMAP if I have to log in to their webmail server anyway. :-/
    • abibee
    • By abibee 17th Apr 18, 8:38 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    abibee
    Aswell as above suggestions, there's Yandex mail, and if you don't mind paying, them fastmail is a couple 's a month.
    • Techno_Mystic
    • By Techno_Mystic 18th Apr 18, 9:00 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Techno_Mystic
    Are you concerned about security? If so, you need a service that supports Two Factor Authentication (2FA) and GMX does not, at least according to this list:

https://twofactorauth.org/#email

(Note: this list incudes free and paid for services.)

2FA protects you from having your email hijacked by requiring an additional code to be entered (sent by SMS or generated by an app) or a key plugged into the USB socket of your computer.
    Last edited by Techno_Mystic; 18-04-2018 at 9:00 AM. Reason: Typo
    • SunnySusie
    • By SunnySusie 18th Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    SunnySusie
    I've been liking tutanota.

As an example, I am putting this down to Gmail but could be wrong, I recently booked a flight got a confirmation to Gmail account and Google (I presume!) automatically, without asking or without me setting it up, added into my tablet's calendar. So I assume that emails are being monitored!
    If it's a setting somewhere then if you can advise how to stop it.....
    Originally posted by Heedtheadvice
    Yes, Google link up their services. That's all. An email app necessarily can access your data, and can so can Google Now and Photos and Maps. This is a massive attraction for many.

Ultimately a computer is always going to be able to look at and read your emails. Even if you use an encrypted service the chances are you are emailing someone who doesn't so your messages will be readable by the SMTP servers relaying your message. If you want secure end to end messaging, email might not be the solution you are looking for.

So, you're left with Google and you have to accept that their email code is able to access your messages, why is it then such a leap if their calendar app code can access them too? Either you trust your email provider or you don't.

At the end of the day there's a techie with access to that server and you have to trust he isn't doing something malicious. Who audits the supposedly secure providers? At least Google has a lot to lose if a whistle blower reveals a big hole and they are infinitely resourced to address problems.

An interesting by product of fully encrypted products is that their functionality becomes limited. For example simply searching old emails becomes problematic. Notice how my provider Tutanota doesn't have a search facility. To search all my emails they would have to decrypt them and then their calendar or advertising app could read them. And presumably a human could too. That said, they are working on a solution to the search problem.

I quite like that google have always been very good at providing clear information about what they store about you in one central place with tools to control it. Always been a step ahead of Facebook in that regard.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 23rd Apr 18, 8:01 PM
    • 795 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Anybody a user of Mailfence ? might just fit the bill....
    I tend to agree with you Susie but there are other factors too that certainly influence my decisions. I hope I have got all this correct -please do correct me if I am wrong!!

My driver's are:
    Trust. Not sure I feel some of the free big sellers are very trustworthy (Facebook syndrome?). They have to make money somewhere if it is not from me then done via the ' backdoor'. I do not want advertising (targeted or otherwise) so am trying to avoid those ones. Trust is difficult to pin down and some of it comes down to impression and interpretation! Privacy statements too if they can be believed!

No data harvesting/mining. Comments similar to the above certainly Gmail reads my mail.

Not a supplier that is the same as my ISP! It is a right pain ever time Broadband supplier is changed for money saving reasons

Avoidance of 'snoopers' so that rules out servers in the USA that by definition, it seems, will get snooped on by their organisations. The EU is becoming (more) sensitive regarding privacy and some countries require 'warrants' or judicial approval to justify a snoop. Australia and Belgium (there will be others just haven't come across them yet) have privacy laws to prevent unjustifiable snoops so country of server locations seems important. Would not go for a Russian based server either! SSL or TLC seem essential?
    Access required from web browser, windows pc client ( IMAP for proper sharing). Have lots of historical mail that I wish to keep access to, hopefully seamlessly so easy import/sharing of mail folders (I prefer them!) and contacts is highly desirable.
    Good simple interface - I do not like the Gmail interface on Android - is the browser interface any better? Quite happy with older versions of Outlook client functionality (but do wonder with regard to Msoft version updates changing the user interface).

Tech support by provider - for when something goes wrong, it inevitably will.

Search facility (noting this might be ruled out with encryption)

Mail backed up and available even after (for a good time) ceasing payment (to avoid errors!) or if service not used for a period.

Two factor authentication possibility even as an option

Encryption option and digital signature option. As posted by Suzie, that is not infallible but it covers a significant part of the transmission chain helping to reduce risks.

I realise that getting all the above together is probably unrealistic. All the ones I have looked at/researched seem to have some downside or limitation. I thought Fastmail might meet the bill (Australia based) but it has servers in the USA too.

Mailfence seems to be a very good compromise (paid version). EU based (Belgium) this needing to comply with the new EU controls and Belgian telecoms laws. Certainly even with the free version a support query has been answered quickly.

Would be great if you could comment on the above, especially if you have any experience of Mailfence.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 23rd Apr 18, 8:07 PM
    • 795 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    I should have added (what? More?...) For anyone moving from Which? -there will not be many of us- today their technical team recommended Gmail or Outlook but agreed that they are some of those that have advertising/mining etc concerns but ought to have reputations to keep up and good functionality. Surprisingly they do not have a review of email providers (for their members) which I suggested was a shortcoming in their service.......
    Last edited by Heedtheadvice; Yesterday at 8:09 PM. Reason: typos
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 23rd Apr 18, 11:03 PM
    • 2,727 Posts
    • 1,557 Thanks
    RumRat
    You thought Fastmail might meet the bill because it was Australian based, until you found it to have US servers?
    Australia is one of the 5 eyes, so nothing should really be trusted coming from there if you don't trust US servers.
    I've never seen any advertising on Gmail or GMX, so if that is a criteria, just use a mail client or adblockers.
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

879Posts Today

6,595Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: have you ever seen a ghost?

• RT @JohnnyMercerUK: Another important day ahead in achieving parity of esteem between mental and physical health: the breathing space schem?

• RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Follow Martin