Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lucia1980
    • By Lucia1980 16th Apr 18, 3:45 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lucia1980
    School Holiday Fines
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:45 PM
    School Holiday Fines 16th Apr 18 at 3:45 PM
    Sorry, theres probably been hundreds of posts but only just joined!!

My ex partner is thinking of taking the kids on holiday in the UK, in term time, but been trying to find the answer but can I also be fined the 60 as were not together?

and vice versa if I take the kids on holiday in term time, can he be fined?

Also, my son is 4 and in Reception year, someone said I can take him out as he's not 5 yet so wont get fined, is that right?

Thanks
Page 1
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 16th Apr 18, 5:56 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    pramsay13
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:56 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:56 PM
    Yes either of you could be fined assuming you both have parental responsibility.
    I imagine the council will fine the primary parent first.
    You won't get fined for a 4 year old missing nursery (as they are not yet in school) although will be easier if you let them know and save them trying to check everything is okay.
    You could, of course, ask for permission in advance from the school.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 16th Apr 18, 11:00 PM
    • 20,233 Posts
    • 33,537 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:00 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:00 PM
    You can ask permission from the school but unless your reason for going in term-time fits their exceptional circumstances, which varies from area to area it won't get authorised.

It is then upto the Head Teacher whether they refer it for a Penalty Notice.

The charge is 60 per parent, per child. That includes parents who don't live together, though I have heard of cases where the non-resident parent hasn't had to pay by proving they were against the other parent taking the child out of school. If you don't pay within 21 days, the price will be 120 per child, per parent.

If your child is 4 then you won't be charged anything.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,463Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin