Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pagw
    • By Pagw 16th Apr 18, 11:01 AM
    • 17Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Pagw
    Mould Removal After Leak
    • #1
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:01 AM
    Mould Removal After Leak 16th Apr 18 at 11:01 AM
    Hello, I unfortunately discovered a leak behind the sink in one of my bathrooms the other day. The water has had time to soak the floor where it couldn't be seen and also flow to an adjacent bedroom under an interior wall. Black mould has grown on the floor of both rooms up to a couple of feet from where the leak occurred. I'm now letting the floorboards dry out and have had a go at removing the mould using bleach, vinegar and a mould remover product. However, I've managed to get rid of half of it at best so far, and the black stain seems to go beneath the surface of the wooden boards (which look to be made of chipboard, and they still seem structurally strong). Additionally, the mould in the bathroom is in difficult-to-reach places - inside a wooden enclosure for the pipes behind the sink and between the bathtub and the wall. I think removing it fully will require taking all of this apart. I'm not confident with plumbing, though, so I'd probably hire someone to do that, and I may need to hire someone else to get rid of the mould.

    I was wondering how necessary is it to remove all of the mould, possibly at large expense? Would it be sufficient to dry out the affected areas so that the mould would become inactive? We only use the bathroom in question for toileting and using the sink, so it doesn't get very humid and has never required any effort to keep mould at bay before.

    Also, should I be concerned about the wall between the bathroom and bedroom? I can see signs of water ingress reaching just above the skirting board in the bedroom.

    Thanks very much for any help you can give.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th Apr 18, 11:12 AM
    • 34,066 Posts
    • 40,188 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • #2
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:12 AM
    • #2
    • 16th Apr 18, 11:12 AM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5828697

    A thread just a few posts down
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Pagw
    • By Pagw 16th Apr 18, 1:57 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pagw
    • #3
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:57 PM
    • #3
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:57 PM
    Thanks Browntoa. I think my case is a bit different, though, because whilst I can deal with the source of the water, I can't seem to be able to get rid of the mould that is there in a simple way (wiping it down with bleach, as suggested there, did not work, nor did using vinegar or mould spray - I think because the mould is established below the wood's surface). So I'm wondering is it more cost effective to let the mould be once it is dried out or to spend money on getting rid of it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

205Posts Today

1,178Users online

Martin's Twitter