MSE News: BA launches new cheaper hand luggage only fare for long-haul flights

British Airways has launched a new long-haul 'basic' fare for customers who don't want to check in luggage or select a seat - and it will be up to £60 cheaper than standard fares...
Read the full story:
'BA launches new cheaper hand luggage only fare for long-haul flights'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Tis all about additional revenue streams, nowt to do with long term cheaper.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Actually I think its so they will continue to appear high up on price comparison sites along with their competitors, most of whom were already offering HBO fares.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Matching Norweigan.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Matching Norweigan.

And Air France KLM (on USA services), Delta, Virgin Atlantic, WOW, Primera and others probably....
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    We could manage our visits to DS In New Jersey during the summer with hand luggage only - apart from having to take 'surprises' for little boys! :)
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    From the MSE article:

If you've bought a basic fare, your hand baggage allowance is one handbag or laptop bag (which can be a maximum 23kg and up to 40x30x15cm) plus one additional cabin bag (which can be a maximum 23kg and up to 56x45x25cm).

I'm confused. There used to be a time when one piece of hand luggage meant one, not two.
  • Nick_C
    redux wrote: »
    There used to be a time when one piece of hand luggage meant one, not two.

Nobody is saying you can only take one bag. MSE aren't saying that. BA certainly aren't.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/hand-baggage-allowances
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    redux wrote: »
    From the MSE article:

If you've bought a basic fare, your hand baggage allowance is one handbag or laptop bag (which can be a maximum 23kg and up to 40x30x15cm) plus one additional cabin bag (which can be a maximum 23kg and up to 56x45x25cm).

I'm confused. There used to be a time when one piece of hand luggage meant one, not two.

A 23kg piece of hand luggage? I would love to see someone get that in an overhead locker.
  • Nick_C
    waamo wrote: »
    A 23kg piece of hand luggage? I would love to see someone get that in an overhead locker.

I usually pack heavy stuff in my hand baggage to avoid being overweight in my hold luggage. Sometimes, my small hand luggage weighs more than my large checked suitcase.

And at 60 years old, I'm still capable of lifting 23Kg above my head. Although provided it will fit, it can go under the seat in front.
  • Matching Norweigan.

BA owner IAG has made a bid for Norweigan.

Best way to wipe out a "low cost" competitor long haul and get hold of some regional slots in the UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure