Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • danrv
    • By danrv 11th Apr 18, 12:44 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    danrv
    Electric warm air ducted system help needed
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:44 AM
    Electric warm air ducted system help needed 11th Apr 18 at 12:44 AM
    Hi
    Not sure if this is in the correct forum but I have just bought a 3 bed semi detached property that has an old electric warm air system installed (1975).
    No gas in the area.
    Thereís a large storage/fan unit in the hallway cupboard which you manually switch on then this
    pushes warm air through in wall ducting and out of vents in the rooms. Thereís an adjustable thermostat too.
    It works ok and a new fan was fitted 3 or 4 years ago but would like to update or renew the heating.
    After contacting a few heat pump companies, it seems this system canít be updated using a more modern unit but with the current ducting. Heat pumps are for Ďwetí systems.
    Iím due to move in in a few weeks and I think Iíll have use whatís there for now but if going for wet central heating, itís best to install now while the place is empty.
    Anybody had any experience with this type of heating?
    Any help appreciated.
Page 1
    • jk0
    • By jk0 11th Apr 18, 8:25 AM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 24,684 Thanks
    jk0
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:25 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:25 AM
    If the system works I'd keep it. They are quite efficient I believe.

Your alternative of installing heat pump & radiators will of course cost less to run, but at what cost? Estimate how many years you will own that house, and divide the cost by that number. If that is more than the saving in electricity, you have your answer.

Now, of course a gas central heating system adds value to a house, but I'm not so sure about an aged heat pump.
    Last edited by jk0; 11-04-2018 at 8:35 AM.
    • danrv
    • By danrv 11th Apr 18, 10:20 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    danrv
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:20 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:20 AM
    Thanks, very helpful.
    Good idea about doing the sums. Also oil central heating would add value to the house. That seems to be the preferred option in rural areas and villages.
    I'm not too concerned about whether the heating system adds value. Just like to be comfortable without huge heating bills and adding value would be a bonus.

Another CH option is an electric boiler and radiators so no big oil tank.
    Air source heat pump and rads with potential financial help from the Renewable Heat Incentive.
    Quite a big decision and don't want to rush into it before I move in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,276Posts Today

8,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin